Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

newbie question on nitro trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 02:22 PM
breezerboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie question on nitro trucks

So, I got a nitro redcat lightning car for xmas and have really loved it. I have wrecked it... fixed... tuned it wrong... almost burned up my engine... fixed it... All in all, I am having fun. However I really wanted a truck so I can take it off road. I read all about the Savage and some other really good trucks. Here is my issue, I don't want to spend that much money. I have kinda decided to not get one of those $160 ones, like my Redcat car, and get a little better one. But Dang, they are expensive. So, here is my question. Is the Associated mini MGT 3.0. a good truck? It's only $259 and that is still pushing my dollar a lot. My local hobbie shop has been very helpful with my Redcat and they don't sell Redcat or the Associated stuff. They are Traxxas. Should I pull the trigger on the MGT 3.0. Or is it junk?
Old 02-08-2009, 02:28 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: newbie question on nitro trucks

MGT 3.0 I heard is a great little truck... You can't go wrong with it, heard good reviews on it...

You can also consider Losi Aftershock. there are so many good ones to choose from.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:31 PM
yahman1254
My Feedback: (1)

i feel you dude. my first one was an exceed rc. same company as redcat. i was happy with it but now i run a tamiya. the mainstream stuff is definitely more expensive but you will never be let down by it. spend the extra dollar for the mgt 3.0
Old 02-08-2009, 03:39 PM
breezerboat

yea, it's come down to me either getting the MGT 3.0 or nothing at all. Half the fun for me with my car has been tinkering with it and learning how the dang thing works. I've spent more time doing that than I have playing with it.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:36 PM
mkoresh12

If you buy it on Tower you'll get another $25 off. At $225 the MGT is a great bargain in the MT arena. Parts support should be great. My LHS pretty much only has Traxxas vehicles in the store but they stock tons of AE parts. See if they stock the parts at your store. Even if they don't AE is large enough and popular enough that you shouldn't have any issues finding your parts at online stores.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:05 PM
yahman1254
My Feedback: (1)

i think you should go for it. if you have only run a redcat you will be very happy.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:07 PM
breezerboat

i just did it. My MGT should be here in about a week. I bought one of those little temperature gauges too. I figured that would at least keep me from burning up the engine. I wish they made something to keep me from crashing it, which seems to be my main issue with my car.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:30 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wish I live in the states... MGT 3.0 here in Toronto is $400(cad)+ with tax.. that's $330+ USD..
Old 02-09-2009, 01:03 AM
ryansiki

samguan, have you tried greathobbies.com. They also have this pricing thing that if you find the vehicle cheaper they'll match the price and take 25% of the difference off.PS heres the cheaper website(oh ya it has to been in canada,also its the best I've found)http://www.hobbywholesale.com/catego...tegoryID=13915
Old 02-09-2009, 08:46 PM
griz12

hay if ur going to spend 259 buy the hpi firestorm its a great truck i got one and love it.