Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

GET SOMEONE INTO THE HOBBY !

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 PM
NitroVette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GET SOMEONE INTO THE HOBBY !

I've always thought that being a good "ambassador" of RC is what keeps the hobby alive. With that in mind I decided to give away an OFNA 1/8 scale buggy that wasn't seeing much use. I was actually going to sell it but one of my best friends has a son who has been begging his dad for a hobby grade RC. Although it was one of my older models it's a nice car with a 2 speed and fairly new O.S. .21 engine.

Fortunately after being in this hobby for 20 years I had some spares and was able to give him 2 radios, servos, glow ignitor, fuel bottle, TX/RX charger and a few spares for the car. It was basically turn key so I'm confident he'll have a good first time nitro experience and enjoy the hobby as much as my son and I do. We have 9 cars between us so at least it's going to get used a lot more than it did in the last year or two. I'm sure there are a lot of guys in this hobby that have cars just like this that need a new home, it was a great feeling seeing how excited he was to receive it and I urge anyone who's got a stable of cars to do the same.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:01 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GET SOMEONE INTO THE HOBBY !

Thats a great idea......I have a ten month old daughter and was hoping to save some of my rc's for her,But thats a way's off.......anywho good job...
Old 02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

YOU ARE EXACTLY CORRECT! The other thing is that most people simply don't know about this hobby.... they think that RC cars are toys that you get from Walmart..

When I tell people about my nitro cars... they are surprised... they are like "wow! gas engine! that's sick"

I've been trying to promote RC at the online local forum and many people are interested.

There are alot of potential RC fans out there, you just have to make them aware that there is this hobby called RC.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:05 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I know the economy has hit the RC hobby to some significant extent. And that is a reason why not a whole lot of new people are being brought into the hobby. Many are saving for fear of losing their jobs so that if they get laid off, they can continue to eat, buy clothes, pay for their house...at least until what they have saved runs out, especially if unemployment is not enough to cover the costs of living.

I guess if anyone wants to bring someone else into the hobby, if the person is hurting for money, they can suggest to them to try to buy a used RC instead of a brand new one, and fix up the used one to run. That way, the hobby industry is still gettting some money as the new comer buys parts and engige rebuilds, etc. to fix up the RC.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:20 PM
NitroVette

You're right, it's on everyone's mind. Fortunately I am extremely busy at work and hopefully will stay that way as I am lucky to work in a fairly specialized field where there is little competition. That said my family is still cutting back like most because you never know. Although I have cut back in many areas I still like to visit my LHS every couple of weeks. I love this hobby and I really hope that manufacturers and dealers can weather this economy.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:33 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I love this hobby just as passionately, and I too will go to the local RC store to buy something, even if it is just to quickly run in and buy an RC mag and run back out again. I at least know that I am helping the RC store clerks have a job for just a bit longer.

And as for parts, tools, hop-ups, etc, I actually go out of my way to buy American stuff. Unfortunately, all RCs are all made in taiwan, china, malayasia, etc. but as for tools, and several hop-ups, I seek the American made stuff. I might not be able to buy it then and there, but I pass over the overseas stuff and save up until I can but the American hop-up.

For my friends I get into the hobby, I also try to encourage them to buy the American stuff and buy from the local RC store instead of the internet, but since they too are tightening their belts, I understand if they opt to go for the cheaper stuff, especially if it is needed to get their RC back on the road again.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Damo_MadTruck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive tried to introduce rc cars to a lot of my friends and my cousin, so far i sold my Mad Truck to a friend for really cheap and another friend really wants to get one aswell but he cant afford it. My cousin will probably be getting one soon after seeing my one drive.