Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

How do you know when the servo is whack?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

How do you know when the servo is whack?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 06:43 PM
breezerboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you know when the servo is whack?

All the sudden, at the very end of a tank of gas, my throttle servo stopped working. I put it on the work bench, with the engine off, and gave it gas... nothing. Steering works, changed batteries, and then I pushed just slightly on the servo when gassing it with the remote. It moved sluggishly, then I braked and it moved sluggishly back. But without my help it would not move. Do I need a new one?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:26 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: How do you know when the servo is whack?

A servo that is whack is a servo that dont work anymore. Typically, if the gears get stripped or the motor burns out, any input from the radio will yield nothing at all. In the case of stripped gears, you will hear the servo humm as it turns, but the horn will not move or if some teeth are stll intact in the gears, the horn will be what I describe as "jerky" for when the gear skips the missing teeth. Not only that, you horn will be out of position too even when the servo returns back to neutral position.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:28 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Also, as for sluggish servos, that could be a sign of bad bearings in which the servo is struggling to turn gears that are now slowed like a car bake by a siezed bearing. I am not exactly sure of this since I never had a servo failure in which they are sluggish, so this is my best guess here.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:06 AM
killerpancake01

well i had a steering servo do close to the same thing. i'd turn all the way to the left or right and you could hear it spinning the servo motor but it would only slowly turn. i took it apart and found it had ground down, but not totally stripped one of the internal gears. making it so it had just enough contact to make it turn but really slowly.