Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is it bad to let the tank run out of gas?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Is it bad to let the tank run out of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:48 PM
breezerboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it bad to let the tank run out of gas?

I am new to the hobby and I have always just let the thing run out of gas before adding more. Is that bad?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:54 PM
J4K3SHNEG

Default RE: Is it bad to let the tank run out of gas?

Try to top it up while its running so you don't have to restart and the engine all the time and so its still lubricated but it wont do much harm just try and avoid it,
Old 02-11-2009, 04:24 PM
olkleaf

doing this does leave the engine with a second or two with a lack of lubrication. but i dont think a second of the car being lean will harm it.
its more harm full if you run your engine lean regularly.

it does sound very inconveniat to be doing this, just refill the car after 10 minutes or so.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

It's easy to tell when the car is about to run out because the RPMs go up. When the tank empties, the carb begins pulling in air with the fuel at the bottom of the gas tank and that leads to a lean condition. I usually refill or if I am done running, I will let the car go down to idle and die on its own. I think the only really bad thing about letting the tank run out is if you are running at wide open throttle in which case a lack of lubrication can be a problem.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Dale. Once you get warning signs, take it very easy or let it idle until it quits. A momentary lean condition as it runs out of fuel with NO LOAD on the engine won't hurt anything....er....."shouldn't hurt anything".....er....has never caused me a problem......that I know of......
Old 02-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Straick

I let mine run dry at the end of the day all the time. But I also run with a custom blend of 18% oil in my nitro, so I have a little added protection for when it run out of fuel. Just be sure to let it run down at an idle and not while under load. The engine's RPM's will die off much faster when not under load(increased RPM), so the remaining oil is "usually" enough to protect the engine for that short time.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:39 PM
J4K3SHNEG

Isnt having too much ooil bad for your engine as it makes you run it too lean because theres loads of smoke?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:11 PM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: breezerboat

I am new to the hobby and I have always just let the thing run out of gas before adding more. Is that bad?
There is nothing wrong with letting run out of fuel,

There is more then enough left over oil in the engine to lube it.

I left one of my engines in the back of my truck in the rain for about 3 months. I opened it up not a speck of rust inside because of all the left over oil in the engine. Now the carb and outside crank was pretty bad.

Its better to run it out of gas anyways because if you leave nitro in the engine you can get water vapor build up in your engine.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Straick

I don't tune based on smoke trail, I tune based on performance and head temp. When tuning for just the smoke trail, you will find that you run too lean or rich a lot of the time. Biggest drawback of the extra oil is that you end up with quite a bit of unburned oil in your exhaust as well, but better than running too lean on oil. That extra oil also gives a small buffer against over lean conditions because most of the damage from that occurs from lack of lubrication.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Sugafree

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1318
Car Fuel Facts

If you read the R/C car magazines, engine instruction manuals or talk to local racers, you'll likely find conflicting information about car fuels. The main controversy seems to focus on how much and what type of oil is needed for a car fuel.

Here the straight scoop based on over 15 years of experience that includes working closely with engine manufactures, industry experts, top-level racers and the results of testing literally hundreds of formulas in all types of car engines and conditions.

Why Not Airplane Fuel

Car engines operate in a totally different environment than do airplane engines. Airplane engines spend a great deal of their running life at full rpm, they have a constant airflow from the prop to aid in cooling and instant throttle response and acceleration is not as critical as with a car engine.

Car engines spend most of their life accelerating from one corner to the next and are seldom at full RPM for more than a few seconds. They rely on an oversize heat sink head to dissipate combustion heat and racers actually tune car engines based on throttle response.

Fuel designed for airplanes typically have from 15 to 20% oil. While the manufactures that truly understand the requirements of car engines typically put 8 to 12% oil in their car fuel.

Why 8% to 12% Oil

Using high oil content fuels (above 15%) in gas car engines won't provide improved engine life, as some would expect. Through extensive testing we've discovered the point of diminishing return as far as oil content to engine life is actually around 8% for most car engines. In other words any more oil than 8% in the fuel does noting to improve the life of a car engine. In fact the secondary effects of high oil content fuels can actually cause engine damage by encouraging over lean runs. Here's how.

Using high oil content fuel causes a car engine to be unresponsive during acceleration acting as if the engine were running rich. Typically when using high oil content fuel, in order to get crisp acceleration and response, an engine will need to be adjusted overly lean. In addition the high oil content prevents lean bog when an engine is over-leaned thus allowing the engine to run at this lean setting without the customary telltale lean bog warning letting you know the engine is overheating.

In summary, high oil content fuels don't give added protection. The point of diminishing return from a protection standpoint in a gas car application is about 8% oil depending on the oil type and engine. Anymore oil than this doesn't offer added protection and has potential secondary effects that reduce performance and can actually cause you to over lean your engine in an attempt to get crisp throttle response and acceleration. Do yourself a favor and follow these two rules:

Rule #1- Always use a high quality fresh fuel designed specifically for gas car use that has between 8% and 12% oil preferably with at least some castor in it. (We recommend Blue Thunder Sport or Race Formula)

Rule #2 - Don't use airplane fuels or any other type of fuels that have over 15% oil in your gas car engine.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Straick

The only reason I'm running 18% oil is because I got in touch with OS for recommendations on oil content for bashing. They recommend running 18%oil in the engine I have. I also keep a close eye on engine temp while running to prevent the over lean issues. It does mask it a bit, but if you've been running one engine for a while, you learn how the engine is supposed to behave, and when it misbehaves, you catch it fast. I have yet to let my engine truly overheat, so have avoided damage.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:45 AM
J4K3SHNEG

ORIGINAL: Sugafree

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1318
Car Fuel Facts

If you read the R/C car magazines, engine instruction manuals or talk to local racers, you'll likely find conflicting information about car fuels. The main controversy seems to focus on how much and what type of oil is needed for a car fuel.

Here the straight scoop based on over 15 years of experience that includes working closely with engine manufactures, industry experts, top-level racers and the results of testing literally hundreds of formulas in all types of car engines and conditions.

Why Not Airplane Fuel

Car engines operate in a totally different environment than do airplane engines. Airplane engines spend a great deal of their running life at full rpm, they have a constant airflow from the prop to aid in cooling and instant throttle response and acceleration is not as critical as with a car engine.

Car engines spend most of their life accelerating from one corner to the next and are seldom at full RPM for more than a few seconds. They rely on an oversize heat sink head to dissipate combustion heat and racers actually tune car engines based on throttle response.

Fuel designed for airplanes typically have from 15 to 20% oil. While the manufactures that truly understand the requirements of car engines typically put 8 to 12% oil in their car fuel.

Why 8% to 12% Oil

Using high oil content fuels (above 15%) in gas car engines won't provide improved engine life, as some would expect. Through extensive testing we've discovered the point of diminishing return as far as oil content to engine life is actually around 8% for most car engines. In other words any more oil than 8% in the fuel does noting to improve the life of a car engine. In fact the secondary effects of high oil content fuels can actually cause engine damage by encouraging over lean runs. Here's how.

Using high oil content fuel causes a car engine to be unresponsive during acceleration acting as if the engine were running rich. Typically when using high oil content fuel, in order to get crisp acceleration and response, an engine will need to be adjusted overly lean. In addition the high oil content prevents lean bog when an engine is over-leaned thus allowing the engine to run at this lean setting without the customary telltale lean bog warning letting you know the engine is overheating.

In summary, high oil content fuels don't give added protection. The point of diminishing return from a protection standpoint in a gas car application is about 8% oil depending on the oil type and engine. Anymore oil than this doesn't offer added protection and has potential secondary effects that reduce performance and can actually cause you to over lean your engine in an attempt to get crisp throttle response and acceleration. Do yourself a favor and follow these two rules:

Rule #1- Always use a high quality fresh fuel designed specifically for gas car use that has between 8% and 12% oil preferably with at least some castor in it. (We recommend Blue Thunder Sport or Race Formula)

Rule #2 - Don't use airplane fuels or any other type of fuels that have over 15% oil in your gas car engine.
Yeah that was basically what i meant but obviously your explanation is better, Ill just stick with well known brands. BUT back to the point of this forum, no it shouldn't harm your engine.