Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

My thoughts on Maxamps

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Metallover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My thoughts on Maxamps

Maxamps sucks! They are prices out of this world and the packs really aren't very good. Most of their buyers aren't members of the forums here and don't realize all the way better choices out there...

Here are some pictures and price comparisons.

Oh crap! 2s2p! What's that? what were they thinking??

[link=http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-4200-111-Flight-Pack.htm]Lipo 4200 3S 11.1V Flight Battery Pack[/link] ~$180 after "options"
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWPE1&P=7]FlightPower EVO30 LiPo 11.1V 4500mAh 30C[/link] $130 "More mah for your money"
[link=http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=neu3s5000car25c]NeuEnergy 3s 25c 5000mah Car Lipo pack[/link] $160 I could find a better price too.... costs much less then a 4200mah maxamps...

I'll do more when I get home. I want to hear from other peoples' experiences with maxamps and other brands.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:55 AM
The Hedgehog

Default RE: My thoughts on Maxamps

Looks like the pack was well used. VERY well used.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:27 AM
J.D.T

+ it dosn't look very well taken care of, that big dent in the side of the swollen cell is not good. I would have though someone with that many posts and being a long time member here would realize no on is making cells with 6000 mah capacity, therefore knowing it was 2s2p from the get go, 2s2p is not bad, its common on higher mah packs.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Metallover

A 2s2p pack should have a balance tap made for 2s2p IIRC. I have known that 6000mah requires 2p, I was just pointing out that maxamps uses it.

I'm more out for the price over the quality. They are OK packs, but the prices are just outrageous.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:40 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had Maxamps for a couple of years and their packs are awesome. Their customer service is above average and I've never had a single complaint while dealing with them. I have stopped buying from them because They're prices are very high compared to some of the other Lipo's on the market today but a couple years ago they where a pretty good deal. I don't think it's fair to say they suck just because you don't agree with they're prices and had one battery puff on you. That battery looks like it gave you a lot of runs before it died and from experience I can honestly say 99% of the time Lipos die because they are not taken care of.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Metallover

I found some customer reviews - http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...hlight=maxamps
So i was able to compare the 25C 2S neuenergy 5000 packs vs the 35C 2S 8400 Maxamps today on the track. Interestingly punch was very similar in the MMM 8Xl powered Emax 18/68. Yes run times were longer on the 8400's - about 45 mins vs 30 mins however what surprised me was that the neu packs got pretty warm - 120 vs 85 for the maxamps packs.
MA may have something with these new packs.
I had puffed several of their 8000 25C packs and had a warranty so they sent me the 8400's and they are a completely different animal. Yes they are expensive but i wanted to share my experience on my track today.
reply to that-
Good to hear that maxamps can provide a lipo that can keep up with an 8xl...

I am guessing the neu packs are lighter? A heavier battery does kill performance...

I would like to see the 8400 pack maintain 3.5v under a 294 amp load. I would also like to see the wires, connector and tabs hold up to that.

IIRC, a true rc 4s 8000 10c pack can handle an 8xl in a revo...

And the ma packs are 229 each, and the neu packs are 120 max each... Even with ma bulk discount (and you still have to buy 1000-1500 bucks worth of stuff IIRC) you still pay almost double.

I have noticed that the enerland cells do get warm during use, my 4500 6s 30c pack gets up over 120f. And they do not seem to work as well when they are under 100f either...

Another swing and miss for Maxamps here. Nice to know that a 300 amps rated pack can handle an 8xl though, makes me feel better about them.
For the emaxx the 8400's run great and the weight is fine and they have a 3 year warranty if they puff. this is the first maxamps battery ive run in the maxx that didnt get very warm and puff. well see how they last over time.
"has maxamps gotten any better now" - http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...hlight=maxamps

Heres a performance graph of the 35c tested at 119a instead of 147a, which is what they should be rated for - http://www.nitrokillers.com/showthread.php?t=1527
comments on that -
It was holding 3.1 volts for about 25% of the discharge cycle?

A 35C rating? This graph isn't even a 30C discharge.

This graph shows an overworked cell trying to keep up IMO.

Companies that over-rate their cells say, "OK here's what it will do" falsely. Then the consumer believing it will perform as stated, puts the pack in the high discharge device and runs it as such.

Then puffing occurs.

There should be a standard for the "C" rating for a given pack. Controlled conditions and a rule that says "For a given C rating the pack must hold at least "X" volts per cell for 75% of the discharge cycle and come out no hotter than "X"
Maxamps has a history of lying... No reason to think they have changed.

Plus their prices are too high, and there are other much better options that are no more expensive, and sometimes cheaper. I will never bother with maxamps again due to the lying that they did to me, and others on this forum.

Go with truerc if you want a lower priced alternative. Their cells and rating are very good and the service is very good too.
Honestly I had some many issues that I came to the conclusion that maxamps do not match their cells properly, that is why so many packs drop a cell or puff one cell under hard loads. I had packs that puffed while in storage, and got good at fixing the packs. The 2100 cells are the only decent cells, but they are still not matched so they go out of balance just like the others. They do actually have the 20c rating. All of the other cells are 15c at best, but the poor matching will cause issues.
BUT Maxamps has some positive things. The 6000mah+ lipos will work with a brushless 2wd 10th scale car. Their prices are pretty high, but I like to know the higher prices goes towards advertizing. Maxamps may not matcher their cells very good at all, but when they puff I can send them in for warrenty or send them to lincpimp. He has had maxamps packs in the past that puffed on him. He started repairing them and now he has gotten pretty good at repairing them.

Here's his 'lipo repair thread' - http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...d=1#post227617
Old 02-13-2009, 12:11 PM
overrev

I have the new 6500 30c hard case. A little expensive but a good match for my medusa motor.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: Metallover
Maxamps sucks! They are prices out of this world and the packs really aren't very good. Most of their buyers aren't members of the forums here and don't realize all the way better choices out there...
Once upon a time, maxamps had good prices. A few years ago I got a 3s 4000mAH battery from them, $99. This was very competitive for the time. But today, the same battery has gone up in price 50%. At a time when other brands' LiPos, proven, good quality brands, have dropped in price. That kind of @#@% just doesn't cut it in this day and age.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:21 PM
fcazzol

One guy from Maxamps once told me their prices went up because the price of copper was high. Like Access, I paid 150$ for a 8000 mAh 11.1V pack about 3 years ago. A similar pack is now almost twice as much. Is there that much copper in those packs?

I do dislike Maxamps because their packs are expensive. However I still own 2 11.1V packs (5000 and 8000 mAh) and both are still in perfect conditions. So I give Maxamps 2 thumbs up (1 for each pack) but it stops there. I'm not planning on raising my toes for them until prices get lower. Much lower.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Metallover

Their prices used to be compeditive. If you say you got a 20c? 3s 8000mah pack for 150, you can now get a 25c 3700mah pack for $99. Two run in a parralel would give you about the same pack only with a much higher discharge rating and much better quality due to exellent cell matching. I recently found a Neu 5000mah 3s 30c car pack for $111 on DMA.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:27 PM
86waterpumper

They are just as high for a nimh battery as most places charge for lipo haha so yes they are grossly overpriced not to mention they charge extra for connectors etc...[&:]