Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

running on SAND

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 12:13 PM
breezerboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running on SAND

I heard a guy say that you should stay away from the sand. I really wanted to take my nitro truck to the beach with me. Is it bad to run on sand?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:38 PM
cat samich

Default RE: running on SAND

if you do make sure you have a really good air filter and that you thouroughly clean everything when your done. also plan on the possibility that you may have to replace some bearings/bushings when your done
Old 02-13-2009, 02:06 PM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: breezerboat

I heard a guy say that you should stay away from the sand. I really wanted to take my nitro truck to the beach with me. Is it bad to run on sand?
I live in Daytona Beach and can attest to the harsh corrosion the salt can do.. give it long enough it will eat through stainless steel.

And you don't even have to have the metal touch the water or sand.

If your beach sanding in your nitro, keep your bearings dry and wash all the metal parts down with WD-40 when your done, the salt will rust your driveshafts, rods, screws, crank, clutchbell, the diff out drives and more.

Calcium will do the same things as salt not as bad but it still rust your stuff, I hate when my track sprays calcium on the clay.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Straick

If you are running a plastic spur gear you will have life issues from it in sand. Used to run my Revo in sand all the time, and even with the mesh set perfect, the sand just kept grinding up the spur gear. As far as the bearing and bushings go, sand has a nice tendency to get into every nook and cranny of a chassis. Also, be sure to use a good quality, 2 stage air filter, and carry spare outer filters. I personally run a Motorsaver with the foam prefilter, and when running in sand, I carry spare prefilters. It's easier and quicker to swap the prefilter every tank or two to keep performance up than the entire main foam element.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:58 PM
hands without shadows

Douse the thing in WD-40 when you are done. By done I mean as soon as the engine stops, not when you get home after swimming.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Moongoose

This months 'RC Car Action' magazine has an article about running on sand, go pick it up.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:46 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: Moongoose

This months 'RC Car Action' magazine has an article about running on sand, go pick it up.
+1, It has a couple good tips on prepping to run on sand and what to do afterwards, go pick it up at your local grocery store