Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Help for a newcomer!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:58 PM
ninjafork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for a newcomer!

Hi there,
For my final project for class, im trying to build a simple RC robot, With 4 Wheels, (4 dc motors).
I have everything built, and i could easily controll it with a wired controller hooked up directly to the robot itself, but i didnt like that idea very much.
so i turned to RC hobby stores and such to figure out how to go wireless. after weeks of google and youtube searches i got the very basic idea of how the transmiters and receivers work.
So i setted on an HDX6i 6 Channel Transmitter and reciver which i got on ebay for about 20 bucks.
after playing with it for a few hours with a breadboard protoboard (trying to light an LEd with one of the joy sticks) i came out blank. i really have no idea what im doing.
Each channel on the recevier has 3 pins, but my battery hookup and Dc motors only have 2 leads (Positive and ground)
Do all 3 pins need to be hooked up?
If not, which is ground and which is positive?
after fussing with it awhile i got it to power on using pins 2 and 3 on the slot marked battery
I dont actualy have any plugs for the 3 pins, i plan on soldering the wires directly to them.
Do i have to do something to sync the reciver and the transmitter together?
Any help would be great!
Thanks!
Old 02-15-2009, 12:54 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help for a newcomer!

You need to use the RX to drive a speed controller, which then drives the motors Trying to drive the motor directly from the receiver isn't going to work and can damage the receiver. The receiver is only designed to send signal current, not to actually drive the prime movers.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:14 AM
ninjafork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i need too hook a speed controller to the reciver, and then another batter and dc motor to the speed controller? and do that for all four wheels?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:35 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The battery is plugged into the speed controller, which powers the receiver and servos via an elimination circuit. The motors are plugged into the speed controller. If you want the motors to be able to throttle independently, you'll need a separate speed controller for each one, and you'll use more channels of the radio.