Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RB Innovations Filters: EXPOSED!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RB Innovations Filters: EXPOSED!

I was recently and in a Checker Auto Parts store just looking around when I found these crankcase breather filters, and I thought they would make a neat air filter for my nitro truggy. Well after some thinking I remembered that RB Innovations had something very similar. RB Innovations calls their filters "high performance" and "cold air intake" filters.

Here are the links to the RB Innovations filters -

- http://www.rbinnovations.com/product_p/rbaf2.htm - 1/8 scale filters - $34.95 each (yes, each, that's the cost for just 1 filter)
- http://www.rbinnovations.com/product_p/rbaf1.htm - 1/10 scale filters - $36.95 each (yes, each, that's the cost for just 1 filter)
- http://www.rbinnovations.com/product_p/rbaf3.htm - Cyclone "S" Series Cold Air Intake System - $34.96 each (yes, each, that's the cost for just 1 filter)
- http://www.rbinnovations.com/product_p/rbaf4.htm - Cyclone Cold Air Intake System - $34.95 each (yes, each, that's the cost for just 1 filter)

And notice they all only have an RB Innovations sticker on them, nothing etched in them, nothing molded in them, its just a filter with a sticker. And notice just how expensive they are, I mean get real people, $36.95 for a friggin filter?!

So anyway, I went back on the Checker site because I couldn't remember how much their Crankcase Breather Filters were in the store. When I found them on the site, they look EXACTLY like the RB Innovations filters for less than 1/3 of the price! Only $9.99! RB Innovations takes Checker brand Crankcase Breather Filters, slaps their sticker on them, and jacks the price up threefold!

Here are the links to the Checker brand Crankcase Breather filters, the same filter that RB Innovations buys and slaps their sticker on and raises the price -

- http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...egoryCode=5001 - Red Crankcase Breather Filter - $9.99 each
- http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...egoryCode=5001 - Blue Crankcase Breather Filter - $9.99 each
- http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...egoryCode=5001 - White Crankcase Breather Filter - $9.99 each
- The store also had the yellow one that RB Innovations shows

So for any of you who were thinking of purchasing a filter like this for your RC, don't buy from RB Innovations, as they are just robbing you of money. It's pretty bad when a company can't even come up with something like a filter on their own and then they slap their sticker on some Crankcase Breather Filter for a 1:1 car and call it a "high performance" filter or a "cold air intake system."

Just thought I would expose this for everyone so people don't waste their money when they can get one of these for just $9.99.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:40 PM
RC_Basher20
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RB Innovations Filters: EXPOSED!

wow what a rip!
its like buying a cookie for 5$ and selling them to your neigbhors for 15$!!! lol
Old 02-15-2009, 01:48 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good find...
Old 02-15-2009, 01:53 PM
DaveG55

Never used one and won't.
Crankcase filters, regardless of brand, are not designed to filter the same size particles as a dedicated rc air filter. Save yourself future trouble and get a 2 stage foam buggy filter. Your engine will be better off for it.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Krawlin

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Crankcase filters, regardless of brand, are not designed to filter the same size particles as a dedicated rc air filter. Save yourself future trouble and get a 2 stage foam buggy filter. Your engine will be better off for it.
I agree, I stick to the 2 stage foam filters, but for shelf queens and trucks/cars being used in mostly onroad applications, they work good enough and look kinda neat.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:08 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant say i blame them...if i could stick on a sticker and mark it up that much and sell them i would....
Old 02-15-2009, 05:42 PM
sheograth

Quite honestly most of what they make is based on misinformation. If more users were informed about the true science behind that stuff they'd go out of business.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:48 AM
The_Collector

That's right. Stuff gets repackaged all the time and re-sold as something special. Paper crankcase breathers open to the elements, are quickly degraded by moisture.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:29 AM
ElectricGuy007

Alot of people from my track buy from RB Concepts, is that the same company?

The best nitro engines I have seen in person are the Novarossi, but yeah they are very expensive!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Krawlin

ORIGINAL: B44&501xRacerEX

They are different companies as far as I know.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:07 AM
rc rock

ORIGINAL: Krawlin

They are different companies as far as I know.
completly different!!!! rb concept is an engine maker situated in france. they make some of the best engines out there
Old 02-16-2009, 12:34 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

I totally agree just like the K&N filters. You just cannot beat a 2 stage foam filter.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Chris_RC

It is extremely sad that RB Innovtion has the same first 2 letters as RB Concepts. Such different quality. RB is made by Novarossi, and Novarossi/RB engines are some of the highest quality engines out there.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Yay capitalism! As they say, a fool and his money are soon parted...
Old 02-16-2009, 03:07 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Agreed. Thats why RCU exists, so we aren't fools and part with our money (as) fast
Old 02-16-2009, 10:20 PM
zjwhitrock

ORIGINAL: calvino

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Agreed. Thats why RCU exists, so we aren't fools and part with our money (as) fast
we just spend $$ on things a little less foolish, after all, they are just toy cars...
Old 02-16-2009, 10:27 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: zjwhitrock
after all, they are just toy cars...
YOU LIE![:@]

Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: The_Collector

That's right. Stuff gets repackaged all the time and re-sold as something special. Paper crankcase breathers open to the elements, are quickly degraded by moisture.
A good example, The Savage Flux, is jest a re-packaged Mamba Monster.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:18 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: warheadforever

ORIGINAL: The_Collector

A good example, The Savage Flux, is jest a re-packaged Mamba Monster.
Bad example. The Flux isnt sold as something special, its just rebadged. There is nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:22 PM
SAVAGEJIM

The best nitro engines I have seen in person are the Novarossi, but yeah they are very expensive!
Very different companies. RB Innovations is RBenson, some guy who sells overpriced toys for RCs that really do not do what he advertises them to do.

RB Concepts is a French engine reseller, that means they buy engines from Rossi and resell them with their names and stickers on them. RB Concept engines are some of the best engines out their, well, because you cannot go wrong with a Rossi (Rossis include NovaRossi, Axe Motor, Sirio, Mario Rossi's GRP, etc.). All of thes engins are great and many will swear their lives on them, and for good reason too. They cost alot, but if you can buy one, they are definitely worth it.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:43 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Thanks for the tip, there Krawlin.

RB Innovations has thrived on noobs who do not know any better and buy up all of these toys just because they look cool and because they believe his stuff really works.

I will never forget the RC mag (RC Driver or RCCA, I cannot rememebr which) when they bought RBenson's superchargers and put it on an actual dyno. At the time, RBenson was advertising this toy to increase nitro engine performance by up to 15%. When the supercharger was put to an actual dyno, it was only a few percet increase. No where near the promised "up to 15%" increase.

I just went to Benson's RB Innovations site and saw that he does not even advertise that "up to 15%" anymore. Maybe news on the net spreading the news of how Benson's overpriced stuff does not actually work has actually come back to him.
What else didnt help him is the vid done by a YouTube RC fan name SOD, he actually bought RBenson's supercharger and tested it for himself, and discovered it is not worth the way overpriced $160 USD.

I remember trying to help a friend "fix" a T-Maxx with an RBenson Supercharger, it didnt run like it should, tuning seemed off all the time. I am thinking the little band Benson calls a "belt drive" kept on slipping, thus throwing an inconsistent flow of air down the carb. Furthermore, the RC ran lean. The power increases were from running lean, and we could have ran that poor TRX engine lean just by turning in the needles. My poor friend didnt have to waste $150-160 USD for that!

What does this all mean and how does this tie into RBenson's air filters? As already said in a previous post, mr Benson quoges RC fans by misinformation. Anyone who does some moderate research will know the RBenson's supercharger cannot bennefit our valvess loop scavenging model engines. Likewise, moderate research will show that Benson's air filters are WAY marked up and gouging when there are way cheaper alternatives. Or better yet, the stock 2-stage foam air filter works better than paper filters.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:34 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Very different companies. RB Innovations is RBenson, some guy who sells overpriced toys for RCs that really do not do what he advertises them to do.

RB Concepts is a French engine reseller, that means they buy engines from Rossi and resell them with their names and stickers on them. RB Concept engines are some of the best engines out their, well, because you cannot go wrong with a Rossi (Rossis include NovaRossi, Axe Motor, Sirio, Mario Rossi's GRP, etc.). All of thes engins are great and many will swear their lives on them, and for good reason too. They cost alot, but if you can buy one, they are definitely worth it.
RB is not a reseller, period.
RB designs the engines and have NovaRossi make them to their specs. It is true that the carbs are Nova carbs.
To say an RB engine = Nova engine is wrong.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:55 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

RB is not a reseller, period.
RB designs the engines and have NovaRossi make them to their specs. It is true that the carbs are Nova carbs.
To say an RB engine = Nova engine is wrong.
Point taken. But lets not quibble about reselleror not, I only brought up RB Concepts because I didnt want RB Concepts, and another fellow, RB Mods, to be mistaken as RBenson of RB Innovations.

I am by far not trashing RB Concepts, they are the real deal. I just dont want them to be mistaken for RBenson, the seller who makes his money on misinformation about superchargers, etc, and the fancy overpriced filters this thread is based on.