Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Best Monster Truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:35 AM
AMOUREDTANK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Monster Truck

Sorry if this has been discussed but I couldn't find an exact thread. So i've got the RC18 and i converted it to an R so that will be my on road car. Orcan easily convert it back to the Tto get the stadium truck look. So my next truck I have decided is going to be a MT. I've seen many different ones from many different makers, but have no experience with any of them. All I do know is that I want at least 1/10 scale and i dont think i'm ready for nitro yet. Any suggestions and reviews of any MTs would be greatly appreciated. Please reply if you have and input at all! Thank you guys in advance. As of right now I do not have a preference so any info you have please post i'd like a large variety to choose from!!
Old 06-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Airbus 9e

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Monster Truck

My suggestion would be either an HPISavage or a Losi LST type....both are tough, come with a pretty decent engine, have good parts support in both online shops and at the local level, and are easy to tune and keep in tune....My brother inlaw has an earlier Savage 25 we just put a new engine into and gave to my 7 year old nephew, and he has'nt been able to break it. It was a "camp truck" that spent most of it's life riding in the storage locker on their RV, and it still has lived a long life. My Aftershock has been good. The only parts I've broken we a front a arm, and I stripped the spurs when i did'nt get the engine mount screws tight..The only upgrade it reallky needs is to add the Losi HTpipe. I got mine off of Ebay for $12....both also have very good internet forums for advice and assistance.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:35 PM
AMOUREDTANK

Thank you I will look those up.. Anyone else have any info different price ranged trucks would be nice too. Any info on low end and high end trucks would be apprecieated. I will be buying 2 of these so the more info and wider selection the better.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:09 PM
AMOUREDTANK

Ok well I saw both of the trucks and I saw the e-savage but both of the ones you were talking about were nitro. I am not sure i'm ready to go nitro. i'm not sure i'd like it or be able to get used to the tuning aspect of it. Are they loud?

I guess since most people aren't replying i'll just look at every MT I can find and see what ones you all have info on.

ELECTRICNITRO (still not sure about nitro)
-Traxxas- E-Maxx-Traxxas- T-Maxx
-Traxxas- Stampede-Traxxas- T-Maxx 3.3
-HPI- E-Savage-Traxxas- Revo 3.3
-HPI- Wheely King (Maybe)-HPI- Savage
-Losi- High Roller-Losi- Aftershock
*Any Others I Missed?-Losi- LST XXL
-AE- MGT Do they still make it?
*Any others I Missed?

Old 06-14-2009, 10:25 PM
DarkFire989

Skip nitro and go straight to Gas! Say hello to FG Monster Truck 1/6 scale!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: AMOUREDTANK

Ok well I saw both of the trucks and I saw the e-savage but both of the ones you were talking about were nitro. I am not ready to go nitro. Especially not $HPI$ nitro if i'm not sure i'd like it.

I guess since most people aren't replying i'll just look at every MT I can find and see what ones you all have info on.

E-Savage or E-Maxx if you're looking electric 4wd monster trucks. I'd add the e-revo too but it looks more like a truggy to me.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:59 PM
AMOUREDTANK

Darkfire- Right now I'm mainly running around my house so Gas is loud isn't it? Not exactly neighborhood friendly.
Druss- Sorry just updated my listLOL any input on those? Ya E-revo ain't gonna work for this selection.

I know I would eventually like to go to nitro. Just don't know if I'm ready. How difficult is the tuning? I just finally got used to electric LOL. Though like I said My wife wants an MT also so we may get one Electric one Nitro. All just depends. That's why I'm trying to get pros and cons of as many as i can so me and my wife have more than 2 to choose from.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:06 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I think an E-Maxx or E-Savage either one would be fine. I think i would go with the E-Maxx just because it has a lot of aftermarket support compared to the E-Savage.

Keep in mind, either of those trucks will take 2 batteries to run. If you are running 2 at once, thats a lot of batteries and charging.

I had a stampede and loved it. They are better now than the one i had too. I bought mine probably 6 or 7 years ago and built it as a kit. I never did break a suspension part on that truck. The only thing I broke was the idler gear in the transmission. I replaced it with an aluminum one, and had no more problems. The new ones come factory brushless ready, so you wouldnt have to worry about that. Theyonly take 1 battery and are light,pretty quick, and easyand cheap to fix if broken.

The E-Maxx or E-Savage will handle grass and rough terrain a little better.The stampede will be good for lots of things, but just not as good in the rougher situations, as the 2 bigger and heavier trucks mentioned above. Keep in mind its 2wd.

Its best just to readaround and see what you think suits you best.

Eric
Old 06-14-2009, 11:10 PM
AMOUREDTANK

I really don't think 2WD-4WD matters to me at this point. Right Now i'm basically trying to find out which of these isn't worth even looking at and what ones are. So right now its just user info what's your experience with each and what pros and cons have you heard or experienced.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:39 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1. Savage
2. Revo(More of truggy)
Old 06-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Druss

In general I'd have to say 4wd is better when you're talking monster truck.  Both the emaxx and esavage are in the same price range of $350, add 4 batteries and a good charger and you're looking at $900 total.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:55 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Monster Trucks are...

Nitro: LST2 / LST XXL
Electric: Savage Flux
Gas: FG MT (Both 2wd and 4wd versions)

If you can afford the FG MT or another 1/5 scale, go for it - the thrill and fun is unlike anything you can get with nitro or electric. Other than that the Savage Flux and LST series are amongst my favorite vehicles ever. If you do get a Savage Flux note that you need good batteries in order to reall enjoy it, a pair of good 2s or 3s lipos is perfect. I run 2 3s Lipos in mine and it's a blast, top speed is around 65mph (slightly higher gearing than stock) and it still has gobs of torque.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:30 AM
AMOUREDTANK

Samguan- thank you for your input

Druss- Ya it looks like it may definately be cheaper to go the Nitro route when it comes to MT. I have a charger but taking 2 batteries I would probably need another one. Not to mention My wife wants one too. So getting 2 Electric MT doesn't seem like a very good idea for my wallet.

Sheograth- thank you so much very informative!! The only site i could find the FG was one with a jeep body and its was $1,200 is that what they are going for? If so that truck though amazing looking, too rich for my blood right now.

Nitros take a special kind of fuel correct? Though the sticker shock of 2 Electric MT's, batteries and an additional charger may be great at first..Will the nitro fuel make nitro more expensive in the long run? What's Nitro fuel go fuel go for? How fuel does a nitro truck hold? And what run times can be expected on a full tank? Are nitros loud? How hard is it to learn to tune and maintenance?

I may end up getting 1 nitro 1 electric still on the fence.. But please everyone keep up with the input. Themor einformation the better!!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:34 AM
sheograth

Here are some good sources for FGs and other gas cars/trucks and related stuff

www.largescalerc.com
www.ddmracing.com
www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com
www.pro5thscale.com

Check out the giant scale cars/trucks forum here on RCU for more info.

ddmracing has RTR FG trucks for $999 right now, which is a steal. Normally they go non-RTR for over $1000.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:54 AM
AMOUREDTANK

They look amazing and im sure they'd be fun but i'm looking to get 2 for around that price or lower. Maybe a few years down the road i'll get one of those.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Damo_MadTruck

If you think you are not ready for nitro or not sure about tuning, then you are exactly like me. I had an electric and i was thinking of getting nitro mt but i thought it would be to hard to maintain and tune aswell. I ended up buying a Savage and it was hard to learn how to tune and all those other things at the start but you will get the hang of ot pretty quickly. So i would say yes to nitro if i were you
Old 06-15-2009, 01:37 AM
AMOUREDTANK

Ok thank you so much!! I am definately thinking nitro now. My wife wanted the stampede originally but sawone of the meaner looking traxxas nitros at the store and think she liked it better. So i dont knowwhat she is going to want. That's why I'm just trying to get as much info on as many models as I can so my wife and I have a wide selection.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:40 AM
sheograth

For nitro the LST XXL would be nice
Old 06-15-2009, 03:23 AM
AMOUREDTANK

I just got done further researching all of the models above. The LST XXL looks likethe best truck by farall around, but don't know if i want a truck that sits that low. Reminds me more of a stadium truck with larger wheels. Same goes for the Revo. Do the T/E-MAXX sit at the same height or are the taller?

So my list has greatly decreased in size-
1.) For Single Battery MT and under $200 Traxxas StampedeorLosi High Roller
2.) For Dual Battery MT Traxxas E-Maxx or HPI E-Savage
3.) For Nitro HPI Savage X 4.6 or Traxxas T-Maxx

I also saw if my wife still loves the Stampede theymake a Nitro Version.

So now that I have it narrowed down... Which one would you choose from each of the 3 categories and why? Pros and Cons Please!!
Thank you for your time and information it is greatly aprreciated!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 03:39 AM
Damo_MadTruck

1) Traxxas Stampede because once when i was still into 1/10 electric i asked the same question on this forum and most people voted Stampede: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_81..._1/key_/tm.htm

2) E-Savage because i like savages

3) Savage X 4.6 because i like savages but mainly because i have read that t-maxxes are really weak and brake a lot.

EDIT: Out of all those i think you would have the most fun with the Savage X 4.6, unless you convert the e-savage to brushless and use good li-po's, but they cost heaps.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:41 AM
Damo_MadTruck

ORIGINAL: Damo_MadTruck

If you think you are not ready for nitro or not sure about tuning, then you are exactly like me. I had an electric and i was thinking of getting nitro mt but i thought it would be to hard to maintain and tune aswell. I ended up buying a Savage and it was hard to learn how to tune and all those other things at the start but you will get the hang of ot pretty quickly. So i would say yes to nitro if i were you
I was 13 when i bought my Savage btw, now im 14.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:03 AM
AMOUREDTANK

First of all no offence but thank you, if a 14yo can figure it out I should be able to.

1.) Thank you for the link to the other thread very informative! I still don't know though alot of the bashing on the high roller seemed like it was heresay. The main negatives on it were coming from someone who didn't seem very experienced (no offence). There is such a thing as too much power in a vehicle.
2.) I'm still waiting on info ofowninga 2 battery truck vs Nitro cost in the long run. Will it not take long to catch up with all the nitro fuel i will burn? or will the Nitro stay under the cost of the "truck plus 2 new batteries"for a length of time that won't be noticeable?
3.) I think I am leaning more toward the Savage X. It sits higher and looks way more mean! I like that.

Also remember though I am going to need 2 trucks one for my wife and I. So i may end up with a ( 1 and2or3 )
Thank you though for all your information you are very informative for a young man!!
Old 06-15-2009, 04:25 AM
Damo_MadTruck

2) I think nitro will turn out cheaper if you find a good priced place to buy it, depending on what batteries you want to use. If li-po then i think nitro will turn out cheaper, but if just some 7.2v stick packs then that would probably turn out cheaper.

One tank of fuel in a savage (160ml) will last you around 15 minutes depending on how much throttle you give it.

3) Definately savage!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 07:32 AM
savagenitroflux

HI Tank,

Theres really no other good way to say this than R/C's are money pits. My son has a stampede (he's 4), and i have a savage & hellfire caz im a hpi lover.

If you choose a 2 battery truck (or 1 battery truck like a stampede) you'll prob end up saving a few bucks in the end, but nitro has a higher 'fun factor.' if you choose electrics, you'll want several batteries & a good charger for $100-200.00

Dont sweat the tuning if you decide on nitro.... it is a learning curve, but simple enough to master. Here is a great video that will teach you to tune from sound www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php

in my experience, most people who get a MT want to make it faster...... it just goes with the truck. therefore, a nitro or brushless are more in the same class than a nitro and a 1 battery or 2 battery truck. a brushless truck with lipo batteries to power it will cost substantially more than a nitro.

idk whereabouts in florida you are, but check out the No Limit organization www.nolimitrcfl.com/index.html
the No Limit crew runs all makes & models & great bunch of peeps.

IMO, nitro savage all the way, heres me & some buds bashin savages and hellfires at a local bmx park.
www.youtube.com/watch

ORIGINAL: AMOUREDTANK

First of all no offence but thank you, if a 14yo can figure it out I should be able to.

1.) Thank you for the link to the other thread very informative! I still don't know though alot of the bashing on the high roller seemed like it was heresay. The main negatives on it were coming from someone who didn't seem very experienced (no offence). There is such a thing as too much power in a vehicle.
2.) I'm still waiting on info ofowninga 2 battery truck vs Nitro cost in the long run. Will it not take long to catch up with all the nitro fuel i will burn? or will the Nitro stay under the cost of the "truck plus 2 new batteries"for a length of time that won't be noticeable?
3.) I think I am leaning more toward the Savage X. It sits higher and looks way more mean! I like that.

Also remember though I am going to need 2 trucks one for my wife and I. So i may end up with a ( 1 and2or3 )
Thank you though for all your information you are very informative for a young man!!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:14 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

One question,

How easily does your wife get bored with stuff? 
Mine wanted an RC truck, but when she got one, she ran it maybe two times and hasn't driven it since.  I would probably get one cheaper electric truck, such as the Stampede with a decent battery and charger for the wife.  Then get a nitro for yourself.  The nitros are messier, dirtier, smellier, louder, more obnoxious and can be more of a pain in the rear, with tuning and whatnot, but have a higher fun factor because of it.  I'd never give up my Nitros because of this, but at the same time, I wouldn't give up my electrics because they are easier to run (with a brushed motor), maintain and alot less messy.  My 7-year old can drive my nitro, but can't work on it.  He can drive his electric and work on it (repair, maintain, charge/discharge batts).  Just another reason to get the wife electric, unless she's mechanically inclined.  Make sure to get her a nice hot pink body for the Stampede...

Electric is cheapest if you stick with Nimh battery packs and a decent charger, but if you are going Li-Po with brushless and a charger, then Nitro is cheaper.  Electric also seems to be cheaper to maintain.  I've only had to buy a few parts for my electrics that cost 2 to 5 dollars each, but have spent way more on my nitros, normally 20 dollars every time I have to repair them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.