Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

how to make a custom rc body????

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:25 AM
RURC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r

The chances anyone will look for this type of thread are virtually nil. It’s not a problem to necrobump old posts, but it’s not really worth the effort. The people that would actually try to do this sort of thing are either 80 years old or dead. Just being honest. Very few people are willing to “craft” their own parts these days. I was going to make a body myself years ago and decided against it due to the time and costs it would require. I’m not afraid of scratch building anything, but most people in the Hobby now wouldn’t do it unless they could get it from hobby King or some other junk outfit from China.
Well some of your statement is insulting. I am no where near 80 and I have been doing it for 18 years. I learned it from someone doing it for many years before that. My son has been doing it right along side me and he just turned 19. I have many friends younger and older than I am the make their own bodies. In my world $30 plus for a car body that you are going to destroy is just crazy. I can make bodies for around 5 to 7 dollars each. I make 1/4 scale bodies for about $70. 1/5 scale for about $33. I agree that many people wont do it and that is because they think they cant or dont mind blowing far too much money or are just lazy. It is people like you that have made this forum unpleasant for those of us that will forget more than you will know.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:45 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by RURC
Well some of your statement is insulting. I am no where near 80 and I have been doing it for 18 years. I learned it from someone doing it for many years before that. My son has been doing it right along side me and he just turned 19. I have many friends younger and older than I am the make their own bodies. In my world $30 plus for a car body that you are going to destroy is just crazy. I can make bodies for around 5 to 7 dollars each. I make 1/4 scale bodies for about $70. 1/5 scale for about $33. I agree that many people wont do it and that is because they think they cant or dont mind blowing far too much money or are just lazy. It is people like you that have made this forum unpleasant for those of us that will forget more than you will know.
Perhaps you should have led your original post with a little more background information about yourself and what you do rather than just going the “you’re wrong” premise. Especially with a thread that’s as old as this one is. The fact is whether you can do it as well or better for cheaper or not is irrelevant (cool as hell, but irrelevant). For one thing, this forum is fairly dead. Your not going to see any/much recognition. If that’s what you want, post your business on RCTech. I’ll guarantee you that you will sell tons of bodies because they have heaps of traffic.

Ill also tell you - responding to 9 year old threads on forums usually results in a moderator closing the thread and telling you to start a new one. Why, I don’t know. Probably because folks will see how old the thread is and ignore it. Notice how no one else has responded to your post? I was just trying to give a little realistic advice. I’d love to buy some $10 bodies. I’ve been in the hobby long enough to be considered a dinosaur. I go so far as to stretch the life of my bodies by riveting sheet metal inside to hold them together a little longer because they’re to insanely expensive.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:34 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Good job bumping this thread to the top. You never know, maybe someone will see it and say, "hey, I can do that." So what if it's an old thread. I watched a few vids on making bodies over the years. I'll admit, I watched the video linked in this thread since RURC bumped it. I'm a RC dork like that.

As you've found out, you can't win for nothing posting in forums. You'll get complaints from people, because you didn't do this, or didn't do that. Some choose to jump in and add absolutely nothing to the thread.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:41 AM
RURC

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r

Perhaps you should have led your original post with a little more background information about yourself and what you do rather than just going the “you’re wrong” premise. Especially with a thread that’s as old as this one is. The fact is whether you can do it as well or better for cheaper or not is irrelevant (cool as hell, but irrelevant). For one thing, this forum is fairly dead. Your not going to see any/much recognition. If that’s what you want, post your business on RCTech. I’ll guarantee you that you will sell tons of bodies because they have heaps of traffic.

Ill also tell you - responding to 9 year old threads on forums usually results in a moderator closing the thread and telling you to start a new one. Why, I don’t know. Probably because folks will see how old the thread is and ignore it. Notice how no one else has responded to your post? I was just trying to give a little realistic advice. I’d love to buy some $10 bodies. I’ve been in the hobby long enough to be considered a dinosaur. I go so far as to stretch the life of my bodies by riveting sheet metal inside to hold them together a little longer because they’re to insanely expensive.
I will not argue with you about facts, knowledge, or what I have done. Seeing that you have never done this type of work and look down on those that have or do, you should go stick with attempting to berate in a subject where you may have a real idea about something. When I say "I have been doing this for 18 years" I am only talking about making my own bodies. I have been in RC since the 70's. We used to take the Cox string cars and modify them to run with airplane RC stuff. Do you like brushless motors and lipo batteries? Well your welcome. I was part of the groups that brought this to the RC car area.

As far as response did you see the response from RustyUs? I guess not. Moderators dont just erase or move threads because someone responds. There is a lot of good information on this thread. They will remove individual posts for being bogus. You know like yours are. I hope you get better but dont bother to retort. You have zero ammo in that area.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:46 AM
RURC

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Good job bumping this thread to the top. You never know, maybe someone will see it and say, "hey, I can do that." So what if it's an old thread. I watched a few vids on making bodies over the years. I'll admit, I watched the video linked in this thread since RURC bumped it. I'm a RC dork like that.

As you've found out, you can't win for nothing posting in forums. You'll get complaints from people, because you didn't do this, or didn't do that. Some choose to jump in and add absolutely nothing to the thread.
RustyUs
Thank you. The only part that bugs me about him is his disrespectful ways. Information in making bodies is hard enough to decipher without getting information that will make you crazy. Heating up 2mm material is a serious pain in the butt. I have a very large professional vacuum forming machine and it is not easy for us to do here. I cant imagine doing it at home in a oven or with space heaters.

I have been on and off RCU since 2002. I have had my share of guys like him. I dont care as long as I give the right information or help the good people I'll just keep on going.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:16 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I wouldn’t get very far on a forum like this if all I did was complain. I often am the only one offering help to folks asking for help. And no, I don’t run electric. Too boring. Sorry.

I’m not afraid of eating some crow. But given the state of affairs on RCU, I wouldn’t expect to see too many other folks posting in this thread. Not being a jerk, just realistic. That’s all.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:21 AM
losiman69

Default Age of posts shouldnt matter

I actually find it very frustrating reading on forum posts just to find out the answer I was after wasn't there...

Far to many posts are left unanswered but for people coming in off of Google searching for information its nice to have the answers that we inquire what does it matter if the post was resurrected from eons ago if the information is there. Is it more important for a forum to have solutions or incomplete garbage? Doesn't that have the tendency to push away possible visitors to the website? I would think it counterintuitive to the job of a forum to provide solutions and fulfilled ideas. Thats my 2 cents btw I made a profile just to add this.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:52 PM
Chickie31

Default Thanks for this thread

I would like you to thank all of you for the information in this thread I have been out of the RC industry for 15 years I prefer older body styles that are no longer existing so yes this thread does have everybody's entitled to their own opinion with that being said I want to thank the creators of this forum and other topics along the lines of this helps people that have forgotten and trying to regain their knowledge on newer stuff that's out there
Old 02-16-2024, 01:19 AM
Shepherdboyy1

Default Custom RC body

Use cheap motor/esc/servos/wheels from an old RC car.