Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

budget rc owners only

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:33 PM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default budget rc owners only

this thread is for the people who own the inexpensive (under $200) but good rc's that are shunned by the "it cost less than $150 so it must be crap" crowd. when i say good, i am referring to vehicles like the evader series, the duratrax and associated minis, the tamiya df02's and the like. i do not mean redcats/himoto/hpi brama entry level stuff. if it actually has quality parts, tunable suspension and/or upgradeable parts then it is considered a good budget rc. no traxxas (with the exception of the bandit. its an odd ball), associated, hpi or the like fit because they are recognized as "quality" chassis'. if it costs more than $250 for kits, (including radio, battery pack, charger and what ever else it needs) $300 for nitro (including everything) or $750 for gas (not sure it exists) then it does not qualify. no names (for the most part) qualify

i apologize if this seems strict but i dont want to see a bunch of slashes, mini revos, t4s and firestorms filling this thread up.
i will update this as time progresses to allow new vehicles to enter amd to eliminate some when (if) they become popular.

update 1: to clarify, the prices are what the vehicle retails for when new. a retail price is often half the MSRP. to fit within the price settings the retail price must fit WITHOUT any discounts, sales, coupons,etc..
2 or more vendors must sell said vehicle at or below the alloted price

update 2: vintage does not count. they have their own sub-forum. if its older than me ('93) then i count it as vintage.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:51 PM
cumquat

Default RE: budget rc owners only

silly me. i for got to state the purpose of this thread. the purpose is to offer a safe haven for people who own the cheaper choices because they fit the bill (or rather lack of bills and coins) when they may be scrutinized for not buying the popular, more expensive option. oddballs are another target for this thread. things like the mmgt are fairly popular but are more of a minority compared to the powerhouses like the savage x, revo and tmaxx. some ofna buggies like the hyper 7 tq black or ultra lx one are also considered oddballs in my book because they dont fit the conventional though of 1/8th scale buggies as high end race machines.

any way, welcome to the budget rc owners club...
Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm moving this thread to the RC Car Gereral Discussions Forum, since it is RC related.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:08 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: sheograth

I'm moving this thread to the RC Car Gereral Discussions Forum, since it is RC related.
i wasnt sure if it was going to be about rc or just the people that choose the cheaper options to get away from people telling us we "bought the wrong rc". i guess i didnt think this through too well
Old 08-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Dark asylumn

ORIGINAL: cumquat

silly me. i for got to state the purpose of this thread. the purpose is to offer a safe haven for people who own the cheaper choices because they fit the bill (or rather lack of bills and coins) when they may be scrutinized for not buying the popular, more expensive option. oddballs are another target for this thread. things like the mmgt are fairly popular but are more of a minority compared to the powerhouses like the savage x, revo and tmaxx. some ofna buggies like the hyper 7 tq black or ultra lx one are also considered oddballs in my book because they dont fit the conventional though of 1/8th scale buggies as high end race machines.

Do the raze's count they were $250 rtr just add batteries and fuel

Old 08-22-2010, 10:12 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: Dark asylumn

ORIGINAL: cumquat

Do the raze's count they were $250 rtr just add batteries and fuel

yes.
first it fits the price and second it has been discontinued, the number of them is going down every day
Old 08-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Dark asylumn

yeah5 of my 6 fit in here yeah thank you for this thread
Old 08-22-2010, 11:31 PM
cumquat

you are welcome. once more than 3 people post it might actually be worth it
all of my running rc fit here, my gravel hound, my df02, my tamiya and my 4wd buggy.

i wounder how many people think i have 4 running rc's...
Old 08-23-2010, 06:15 AM
johndavis

i race a ofna lx1 and im competive with the losi amd the mugens. the other racers and i get together and help each other.they dont put my buggy down. if the see something wrong they help me solve it. we race on the track not in the pits. we welcome all racers . ive only raced 3 races and they help me along. guess im fortuniate to be racing with the ones i am.my first race i lost a wheel nut 30 seconds left in the heat by the time igot back to my table 5 people gave me a wheel nut. they didnt want me out they wanted me to race. we do that to all if we can.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:26 AM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

If you buy used you can get most RCs into this catagory (got a RTR slash w/ Lipo for$130 shipped, was used but in nice condition)

Old 08-23-2010, 07:57 AM
djyjrlz

can you beat this
1989 kyosho outlaw rampage - no body or engine or electronics £18
another 1990 kyosho rampage gp10 - only missing a bodyshell £20
kyosho sandmaster (given to me by a good mate) basically nothing apart from a working engine £0

and i have ended up with a fully functioning nitro rc car for a vast total of £38.......and i'll tell you what, i could not possibly have more fun driving it
Old 08-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

My ol cliff climber would fit in this thread.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:36 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: johndavis

i race a ofna lx1 and im competive with the losi amd the mugens. the other racers and i get together and help each other.they dont put my buggy down. if the see something wrong they help me solve it. we race on the track not in the pits. we welcome all racers . ive only raced 3 races and they help me along. guess im fortuniate to be racing with the ones i am.my first race i lost a wheel nut 30 seconds left in the heat by the time igot back to my table 5 people gave me a wheel nut. they didnt want me out they wanted me to race. we do that to all if we can.
i know it can be competent on the track but its known more as a entry into 1/8th scale with the capability of keeping up on the track. i guess what im trying to say is that they do well at "club" level races but dont expect to get too far in a roar sanctioned event like regionals.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:39 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

My ol cliff climber would fit in this thread.
yes it does, very well in fact.
the prime target for this thread is mostly duratrax and some tamiyas that were "designed 20 years ago" or apear to be when they are NEWER than the rustler (specifically referring to the df series there).
Old 08-23-2010, 12:43 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: mazdaprotege4

If you buy used you can get most RCs into this catagory (got a RTR slash w/ Lipo for$130 shipped, was used but in nice condition)

thank you for you help. i had totally forgotten about used. the target of this thread is the vehicles that are within the listed prices when brand new for the hobby shop/site. your slash does not fit.
not to mention its a traxxas that is not a bandit...
Old 08-23-2010, 12:47 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: djyjrlz

can you beat this
1989 kyosho outlaw rampage - no body or engine or electronics £18
another 1990 kyosho rampage gp10 - only missing a bodyshell £20
kyosho sandmaster (given to me by a good mate) basically nothing apart from a working engine £0

and i have ended up with a fully functioning nitro rc car for a vast total of £38.......and i'll tell you what, i could not possibly have more fun driving it
actually i can, rc10 gold pan with MSC, bolink foams all 'round, no body (i dont usually run 'em anyways) and no radio - $20
strip my OTHER rc10 gold pan and i have a new one, running and in better condition, for $25 (needed new screws)

but do to their vintage they do not fit. they have their own sub-forum.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 PM
dditch

What is a decent bang for the buck Sub $200 ready to roll RC truck that can run on grass and a gravel parking lot?
I'd like something that uses a gun style Tx.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:23 PM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got you all beat.

my B4 was free. it was converted to dirt oval and the previous owner passed away. he left all his rc stuff to a mutual friend.
my friend calls me one day and asks me to come over so i can help him id some cars.

i left that day with a b4, traxxas spirit and a tamiya ff02.

i have since turned the B4 back into a buggy and have won two races with it so far.

thats budget.

edit:

just noticed op wants new prices, well a free b4 is still pretty effing cool. lol

Old 08-23-2010, 03:23 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: dditch

What is a decent bang for the buck Sub $200 ready to roll RC truck that can run on grass and a gravel parking lot?
I'd like something that uses a gun style Tx.
the "gun style TX" as you call it is a pistol grip which is industry standard for surface in the US. it all depends on what you have already. if you have a nimh compatible charger then you have a lot of options
1)duratrax evader ext
2)tamiya df02 rtr
3)tamiya df02 kit (requires radio and servo)
4)hpi wheelie king
these 4 will need a 6 cell nimh/nicad pack because they have no LVC but there is enough left for a cheap pack

if you need the charger and packs then the evader is the only thing i can think of right now
Old 08-23-2010, 04:55 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couple of my vehicles fit the bill
I got a DF-02 Kit. for $130 Added $80 in electronics. My nephew has a DF-02 RTR I got him for $92 (new), I will be picking up this week(hopefully if they have it) a "Monster XX" Truck from Target for $99 which is a Tamiya clone (I want to see if it can be used as a parts source) DF-02 Blows HPI's entry level buggy(Brama) away in price, durability, modifications, parts support, and after market parts.

A Ofna Jammin .5 CRT kit Paid $120 for it, and threw in a BL conversion plate for $30, and a $90 HW 8.5t 60a esc combo to make one insanely fast 1/12th truggy Found the front knuckles to be weak, and crack under brushless power. Modded some HPI RS4 C-hubs, and got a RS4 alum knuckle on it and not had an issue since.

Losi Micro-high roller $99 RTR with batteries (includes 8 AA radio batteries, and a 20 min charger too) 1/32nd scale Monster truck. IMO limited fun running it in the house while waiting for the weather not to suck. Range kind of blows(I get maybe 30 feet) so it really can't go outside

1st pic my DF-02 (its back to buggy tires those I used for driving on snow )
2nd my Jammin .5 crt

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35288.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1489000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82777.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1489001  
Old 08-23-2010, 04:57 PM
jermpool

if it costs more than $250 for kits

so from what I read my sc10 fits because it retails for $210 rtr, but I have about $500 in it so it doesnt fit and it has a name of a good company....whats the purpose of this thread anyway?
Old 08-23-2010, 06:37 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

cumquat , you keep talking about the bandit and that its budget/cheap/whatever, but its the same truck as my rustler but with different tires ans different body.
rustler are not that bad ..
Old 08-23-2010, 06:40 PM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

impalapolicepack : Love your sig !
Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

lol thanks but i cant take credit, i saw it somewhere before..
Old 08-23-2010, 07:58 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: jermpool

whats the purpose of this thread anyway?
you know, i forgot as i was starting this thread last night...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.