Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Jerky controls at high speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 08:52 AM
tjaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerky controls at high speed

I noticed that sometimes my car makes a sudden move at high speed. When I put my car on a stand and progressive apply more throttle, as the engine reaches higher rpm, sometimes my front wheels jerk left or right. It's very quick and they fallback to neutral fast. The steering still responds as normal. But these jerks are quite annoying. Could this be because of a dying crystal? Or is something wrong with the receiver/servo? Or is this because of the vibrations (we're talking nitro here) and is there not really anything to do?

P.S. Radio system is Protech and I am quite sure my batteries are fully charged. At low rpm everything is normal, so I don't think it is because of interference.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 02-21-2004, 12:36 PM
HPIchuk

Default RE: Jerky controls at high speed

i think youll just have to get used to it. i know my friends street force gp(nitro) does the same thing. well, he's never looked at it on a stand but when hes driving it at high speeds the car just sort of jerks over then goes straight. i dont think theres anything to do about it. just watch it closely and avoid drains, curbs, cars, etc.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:11 PM
TC3 Man

These things are annoying to sort out, there are so many things that it could be.
Has it happend before or was it just the once? Is your car tweaked? Are any of your wires coiled? deos it do it with different crystals? are there any metal peices on the chassis vibrating together? is anything binding in the drivechain? are there any loose connections on your receiver? has your servo got any stripped teeth?
chaeck all of these things and see if its still there
Old 02-22-2004, 02:02 PM
tjaf

Car isn't tweakd. As far as I have noticed, it worked fine in the beginning. I tried different crystals today, but the problems remained. I'll check those other things. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:25 AM
d16z6

Hey same thing happens to me too! And I thought I was the only one experiencing this pheomenon... Hmm yeah those twitches can sure get pretty intense and down right scary when blasting down some tight spaces.

My my experience I've noticed the twitches are somehow related to area, battery charge and fuel tuning. In some areas and relative distances I'll notice that the further away you are and the higher your rpms are the higher your chances are twitching. Of course fully charged batterys always does help counter this to some degree but I'm still trying to figure it out for myself. I also noticed it sometimes at a certain degree of rpm that it twitches upon accelerating to top speed.

Another thing that occasionally will cause a twitch is if the engine's high end is set really lean and it cuts in and out for that moment in time, I'll get some twitching action going on too, but I'm not sure if this directly affects the radio system or if the engine's hickup physically causes the drive train to go into distrubance which makes it's way down to the wheels to upset the traction. I'm wondering if also the upseted car balance is leading to some bumpsteer (perceived twitching?)?

But you have some days where it just goes straight w/o twitching at all and that's what I'm looking for also. I just feels that much better when the rc experience goes perfect.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:23 PM
dg2b

The jerking are glitches at different servo position or signal. This is not normal. Things that may attribute to this type of glitch are: 1) bad crystal 2) bad servo 3) metal to metal rubbing (i.e. your clutch bell is slightly touching your flywheel at higher rpm).
Old 03-16-2004, 07:23 PM
SportCrystals

Tjaf...Please drop me an email at [email protected] with your address and desired channel. My company is is Performance Devices Inc. If you are in the US, I will be pleased to mail you a pair of our crystals at no charge to test (and keep!). Our crystals are probably the tightest tolerance RC crystals on the market. I feel you will really like them.

Peter

Post Edited - Please do not advertise in the posts. Thank you.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:39 AM
Techspert

Try investigating the metal-to-metal thing especially near the clutch bell. You may have bad springs or something in there is out of shape.