Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

New SPAD Combat Class

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

New SPAD Combat Class

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:17 AM
boiler1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New SPAD Combat Class

3 1/2 inch from the front of the U channel to the leading edge works for me. I took the plans and determined the scale. If you want precision it works out to 3.61 inches from the the front of the U channel to the leading edge.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Set the throws and my Spad Gnat should be ready to fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68381.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1860432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64073.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1860433  
Old 03-12-2013, 06:07 PM
gromuluss

These spad's look awesome Probably better for combat then hat Im used to seeing However check these spad out Very good for sport aerobatics and they've done very well in combat as well Not to disredit these onses I think they look even better then whats in the video here but check it out Tell me what ya think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHQdfldiwLc
Old 03-12-2013, 06:09 PM
gromuluss

Old 03-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Tom Nied

Spad's can be a heck of a lot of fun. Watched the video, and it represents the fun we have with them. I built a Spad Debonair with a flat wing and conventional gear, and flew the crap out of it. Was it a "dog"? Yes, it was. Could I fly it and do loops, fly inverted, do stall turns, half Cuban eights and have fun all afternoon? Yes, I did. So I think everybody should at least try one. They're not a perfect solution to model RC aircraft, but they are a lot of fun. And they are economical . Try one and have fun.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Tom Nied

Anybody ever try or use the AP Hornet 0.15?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:04 AM
blindfaithnogod

I have... It is WAY underpowered. I could only get about 15,500 rpm with a 8x3 mas. With 15% nitro.
I've heard if you drill out the exhaust and the carb you can get up to the power of the os la. I have never tried that.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Tom Nied

Wow, what a heart pounding wild ride for my maiden. Not sure if I was flying it or just avoiding the ground. So much fun I flew it a total of five times. What a fun little flier. Bank and crank, bank and crank. What a blast.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65499.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	1869813  
Old 03-22-2014, 02:29 PM
coro kid

I`m happy to hear combat is alive and well I took sometime off from RC and now back building feels good
enjoy
CoroKid
Old 03-23-2014, 05:46 AM
boiler1

The RC Combat association is promoting the Gnat combat class. Last year there were at least 4 AMA santioned Gnat events. It looks like there may be many more this year. There are already 4 events on our contest calendar for this year. The website "rccombat.com" has plans, rules, contest calendar, and forum specific to only combat.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Tom Nied

Flew it 6 flights today. The more I fly it, the better it gets, the more I like it. More flights mean the Magnum .15 is getting broken in and running better. The more I fly it, the tweaks I'm doing make it more manageable. Found that +.25 expo on the ailerons/rudder makes it a little more mellow at center sticks. Strapping tape is the best way to hold the tank on. I'm getting 12 minutes on a 4 ounce tank. It could use some kind of sheet aluminum loop for launching. It can be a fast little flyer so really add some trim tape for visual reference. It's really easy to take out to the field and will fly in windy conditions once you get it up.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:19 AM
qwerty3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a friend talk me into building one of these - first one took me about 6 hours (ok, it's a learning curve). Had to buy a new engine, but had pretty much everything else, between the friend and I. (2) tanks worth of bench running on the Magnum, and now about 4 flights. It's been a lot of fun to fly a plane I don't care about! Now, to get somebody in this area to fly against. With an empty CG at 3 3/4 inches, it seems very tail-heavy. When the tank is getting empty, I can't fly straight and level. I'm going to shift the battery forward, looking for 3 1/4 or so. I used (2) pieces of 4mm carbon tube as 'spar' - shoved one into the flutes near the CG, and another one near the back of the wing (after noticing some control reversal in a dive, on the first flight).
Yeah, not the greatest flying - but it'll turn nice and tight. Now, to get that Magnum broken in.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Tom Nied

It will turn fairly tight. In fact, about once a flight I'll lose orientation and all I do to regain orientation is put it into a tight loop. I usually get it back. The name "Gnat" is appropriate.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:20 PM
Tom Nied

Problems. Hitec HS-82MG Standard Metal Gear Micro Servo. Servo jitter. Had to replace my throttle servo. Is it because they are susceptible to the exhaust?
Old 07-30-2014, 05:56 PM
Tom Nied

Well, got to admit, new throttle servo and now I know how it should fly without servo jitter. I flew 6 or 7 flights today, never broke a prop, landed on the flying field each time. Engine ran great. Now I get it. I was telling a guy at the field that I wanted something I could hand launch and was fairly durable and easy to build. The Spad Gnat is both of those and economical. I run 10 minute flights and probably only burn just a little over 3 oz. of fuel with the Magnum XLS .15. Easy to start, seemingly plenty of power for the plane, spinning a MA 7-4 prop. It's not a big plane, nor incredibly powerful, but I'd feel ok launching in 12 mph winds. With the engine running strong, a good toss into the wind and it does fine. I've got to add more graphics, it's easy to get disorientated. When disoriented, do a hard loop, usually you'll get it back. Also I want to work on some kind of launching knob or handle. When you're ready launch and the .15 is screaming, would be nice to have a good grip on the plane. I launch by myself and I've got the technique down, just would like a better grip at the CG. Haven't tried a discus type launch and not sure if its necessary. If anybody is reading this thread, my advice would be put plenty of bright graphics on it, make sure your servos are NOT jittering. I almost think the next size bigger servos might be more appropriate.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:06 PM
qwerty3

So far we've got 4 people who've built spad gnats, at our club (Warped Wings). One was just getting started at the close of the Michigan flying season last fall (2014). If all 4 of us can have a 'fight' or two - maybe that'll bring a few more in. I've gotta admit that - either you've gotta have radar vision - or else, it is really hard to connect with the other guy! But it's sure a blast, trying -

Last edited by qwerty3; 04-11-2015 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Correct bad grammar
Old 04-17-2015, 05:58 PM
Tom Nied

I don't even fly combat, but just flying the GNAT outrageously fun. Ordered 12 props for the new season.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:05 PM
Tom Nied

First flight of the season, terribly out of trim, no down elevator. Just glad I didn't hurt anybody. Corrected that problem. Second flight, got disoriented, only broke a prop. Third flight, doing crazy s#1t with it. Hovering, round loops, almost looked like I knew what I was doing, dead stick. ? I know that I get a solid 10 minute flight, so don't know what happened. Maybe I'll check it out here at home before I take it out again. Otherwise, it flies like stink, and just doesn't break. But I do go through props
Old 09-15-2015, 04:32 AM
qwerty3

We're gradually gaining a few more people in the West Michigan / Grand Rapids area - maybe next year thing's will take off! Things we've discovered so far: the control surface hinging is stiff - consider a double (both sides flute cutout) hinge; a safety line from the 'fuselage' to the engine (as is required for CL combat) is good - could avoid losing an engine in a corn field; consider 2 servos for ailerons to reduce wing flexing; consider 2 pieces of 5/32 music wire for 'spars'; make plenty of spare engine mounts; make a fuel-line slip joint in your throttle linkage to save your throttle servo in the event of a crash.