Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Why so many classes?

Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Why so many classes?

Old 07-16-2015, 08:40 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Why so many classes?

I was reading through the NATS news about the combat reports. I was surprised to see so many different classes being flown. SSC, Open B, 2948 Scale, Gnat, and Limited B. It would seem the RCCA is still chasing the elusive "holy grail" combat event. Why not just focus on 2 events and promote those? It makes it so hard to keep up with all of the equipment needed to fly so many different classes, not to mention any kit manufacturers that may still exist. Diluting RC combat with so many events is not doing it any favors. In fact I believe it really hurts the cause.

Just sayin'
Old 07-17-2015, 12:29 PM
yankee samurai
My Feedback: (175)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in the Northwest, we fly Open B and 2610 Scale only. In the beginning there was only 704 1/12 scale, you wanted to fly combat that's what you flew!
Old 07-17-2015, 06:49 PM
vertical grimmace

Not being fully up to speed, I must admit, but how many of those events flown at the Nats are supplemental? An event not even recognised by the AMA rule book? I am going to say that only Open B is an official event. This situation is exactly why there are few kits available, and attendance is low. To many different things to focus on. Everyone always has a better idea I guess.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:15 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As in the hobby at large, there are too many choices. Unfortunately this also means that we often have less in common with each other.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:23 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by 049flyer View Post
As in the hobby at large, there are too many choices. Unfortunately this also means that we often have less in common with each other.

I am talking specifically about RC combat.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:18 AM
DaneMcGee

Why so many classes? Short answer is that different regions around the country have different classes that are popular. For example try flying SSC with .15's at 5200 feet....... thats one reason why Open B is popular in that area.

I just got home from the Nats. RC Combat is alive and well with a stable set of rules with only minor rules changes and clarifications in the last ten years. I never hear arguments within the membership about rules.

Open B and SSC are the two AMA official rule book events flown at the Nats. Limited B and Warbird 2948 are the two provisional classes flown at the Nats. A few brought Gnats to fly a few rounds also.

Limited B and open B use pretty much the same airframe with just a muffler and prop change to be legal, so only 3 different airframes are required for 4 classes.
Concerning kit manufacturers, there are none left except Screaming Eagle rc and Wayne Voyles and his Lethal Weapons. We all make our own and help the new guys do the same.

I never hear any griping about too many classes, in fact quite the opposite. Where else are you gonna go to get 4 full days of combat in a row? 40 plus rounds of combat and 4 classes made the 15 hour trip to the Nats from Texas worth it for me.
If the Nats was only 2 classes I'd most likely stay in Texas

We fly what is popular in our area. SSC, Warbird 2948, Open and Limited B, We hold 10 contests a year in Texas and get over 20 rounds of each of those 4 classes per year. Everyone is happy.

Randy and his group fly open B and 2610 up in the North West.....if I lived up there I would be flying that too. Tom Neff from Colorado was at the Nats and participated in open B and warbird events I think. Since you are from CO I suggest contacting him and find out what class they like and fly with them. I expect it will be Open B cause of the elevation.

There is a very active FaceBook group called " RC Combat" where we share combat related ideas, tips and pics. Plz look us up and request to join if you are on Facebook.

Last edited by DaneMcGee; 07-19-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:28 PM
skullman

I agree with Vertical Grimace......Having so many classes and divided the pool....No one can build for 4 classes......It used to be that we had Open B and scale. Huge events were happening and guys were having fun. The more competitive contestants preferred Open B.
I prefer Open B......it forces you to make a choice and choose sides =-(