Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

ENGINE CASE REPAIR

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

ENGINE CASE REPAIR

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 02:10 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default ENGINE CASE REPAIR

I have a hairline crack in a OS.15 case that is seeping crankcase pressure, but isn't "structural" yet. Does anyone here have any experience dealing with this? I'll take this opportunity to thank all of you who helped me with the advise to build my fleet of SSC planes, especially LOU MELANCON, who patiently answered all my rookie questions,[ probably for the umpteenth time!] The plane is 64" , and weighs exactly 2.5lbs, so you guys out there in advice land did your home work!. The airfoil is a flat bottom with fully rounded LE, and the elevons need about 1/8" up to fly level. The OSLA15 gives 18K on 15%, so I guess I'll try 10% for contests. Thanks again, everyone!
Old 01-24-2004, 02:46 AM
combatpigg

Default RE: ENGINE CASE REPAIR

Here's a couple shots this bird of prey.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32783.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	93611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68385.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	93612  
Old 01-24-2004, 10:00 AM
twostroke
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean it down to bear metal for a good bond and put some JB weld on it this stuff works great for cracks.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:09 PM
combatpigg

I've come across a cheap DIY system for repairing cracks, and possibly welding custom exhaust systems. The shadow that is in the vicinity of the upper left backplate screw hole is where a left a slight amount of the filler rod above the surrounding metal. The stock needle valve/ backplate puts a lot of pressure on the engine case in this area when you go from 50 MPH down to 0 real fast.

Name:	Ca82902.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	93801  
Old 01-24-2004, 06:40 PM
rdc767

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool plane. How does it fly. Can it fly with out the wing tips?
very simple I like it.
Ron
Old 01-24-2004, 09:19 PM
combatpigg

HI RDC767! The 2 flaps in the back do 2 things at the same time. The radio system has a feature called MIXING, which allows you to have 2 channels tell the same 2 servos what to do at the same time. So if I want to go up, both flaps simultaneously deflect up like a pair of elevators. If I want to roll , then the flaps act like ailerons.To make the plane turn, you bank it, then either pull or push on the stick to do either an inside or outside turn. The flaps when used this way are called ELEVONS. The wingtips help give the plane some kind of weather vane action so it doesn't fish tail around. It will fly without them, but not very smooth, and you lose speed if your plane is dancing around out there. I think the flying wing makes the best use of the mandatory weight that this class of combat makes you lug around, because it is invested in wing area.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:52 PM
combatpigg

Just a quick note to say the aluminum brazing didn't hold up.[>:] I don't think the propane torch was getting the pores of the parent metal enough heat to open up and accept the filler rod. The filler rod was barely clinging to the case after running the engine a few times. I did as good a job as I could to clean the repair site, and now it's up to JB WELD to see if the patient will live.[]

Name:	Pn37554.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	94190