Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 11:20 AM
NJAIRSTRIKE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Hey,

Oops, Here are better pix, hope this helps. The landing gears are from America hobby shop and they are probably from those megatech planes. What I did was Xacto knife a straight line under the belly pan into the foam a little bit, put the landing gear and then dipped epoxy inside and let it dry. then I put a piece of light wood on top and epoxied that for more support and then used 2 (don't know the name) things for landing gears to hold it down with 2 screws and glued that from coming out. Its not flimsy its actually sturdy. Its about 1 inch from the leading edge of the wings.

If you guys are interested, I can go to the shop and get the exact names and numbers of the landing gears and the accessory i used to complete this.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:23 AM
borisp

I was just wondering…. what if we try launching the plane inverted? This could have more than one advantage. First of all, CG would be hanging below thrust line and center of lift (as with the high wing planes). Second, we would have a solid fuselage grip for an over hand forward push launch. Third, you don't get smoked by the exhaust pipe.

Problem is I am a coward . Any brave test pilots out there ?
Old 07-22-2005, 01:09 AM
corvett

If anyone has the guts to try an inverted launch, youv'e got to let us know how it turns out. One of the guys tried a dolly launch today, but the wheels were aparently to small and the plane would just nose over. Also he made his dolly out of pvc pipe and I suspect it was probably to heavy. then tried 3 or 4 steps running and let go = straight launch hoooooraaaaaaaa corrvett
Old 07-22-2005, 07:30 AM
borisp

Now seriously, if no one else I'll do it that's for sure! The only question is when. Since I am waiting for the flight nr. 6, it's a bit to early. Although, with a bit of down trim, there should not be any surprises. Certainly, I am not going to tell her she will be launched inverted [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]!
Old 07-25-2005, 04:58 AM
borisp

Well, I did it!!! I launched her inverted, and it's definitely a way to go (at least for me).

Instead of a flight report, a friend of mine had a camera, and was so kind to place on his web site a short video clip (less than 300 Kb) of a first launch attempt. So please take look at:

[link]http://www.flightmadness.com/video/corsair.avi[/link]

Some important details you cannot see from the clip:

- Elevator down trim was about 30-40 % of a full recommended down throw. It was a bit over trimmed, 25 - 30% (2 - 3 mm) would be just enough, I guess.
- Throttle was at 50 - 70 % of a full throttle (OS-25 FX + APC 9x6).

And a bit of advice: if you have at least minimum positive rate of climb, just concentrate on ailerons and don't touch elevator or throttle commands until you reach a safe altitude. Of course, if she sinks or it is extremely over trimmed you'll have to correct it, but do it very gently.

I would also recommend practice of inverted flight before trying an inverted launch. The day before I took my electric powered Corsair (from Alfa Models) and made 6 successful inverted launches with that one, just for a practice.

Old 07-25-2005, 04:04 PM
corvett

Congrats. Your the man!
Old 07-27-2005, 01:09 AM
voodoo51

I turned my gp mustang into an electric flyer itss awesome. and no exhaust smug. fast
Old 07-27-2005, 01:30 AM
eljimb0

voodoo,
I have been waiting to hear of an electric conversion of the p 51. Can you tell me how much it weighs? What motor/prop. How hard is it to hand launch?
thanks
jimbo
Old 07-27-2005, 01:39 AM
gwong
My Feedback: (1)

Just came back from the flying field my friend convert his combat mustang to electric, here is his setup,

HS81 all around
Axi 2808 / 24
custom machined aluminium motor mount (has his own machine shop)
CC35
APC 10x7e
Kokam 2000mah 3S 15C Lipo

Static WOT test, pulling about 22A.

Flys great imho...good vertical, nice large loops, landings are a bit fast, he may modify it to 1 servo per aileron for flaps.

It hand launches okay...just needs a good hard level toss...it dips a bit but once up to speed climbs pretty good.

Don't know what the AUW...he will be flying again tomorrow night...will get the AUW for you guys.

Oh yeah...showed us his unbuilt combat corsair as well...show you how hot these planes are he was offered 50 bucks cdn more than what he paid for retail....the LHS had 2, gone in a flash.

Cheers,

Gord.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:16 PM
BDREW

After seeing my friend John Fly the Corsair in the 15mph winds today...I have to have one. This plane is very stable. I am going to mount my Norvel .40 engine on it.

I'll keep you posted on the flight!
Old 07-28-2005, 06:23 AM
borisp

Friendly warning for the guys with the overpowered Corsairs:

I was on a full throttle 45 deg. dive when suddenly, in a split of a second, she changed direction and went vertically to the ground. Luckily I was at safe altitude, immediately throttled down, and managed to level out. First I thought it was a glitch, but when that happened again, I realized standard split elevator arrangement definitely has an over speed limit.

So guys with .32 + engines, good luck, and take a safe altitude before facing the daemon [sm=punching.gif]!
Old 07-28-2005, 09:16 PM
corvett

I wrote in one of my previous notes that I had laminated 1/16 ply to my stab and elevator. I am also still running an os 46 fx. My favorite move is to go high downwind and do a hard bank and dive on final at full speed to 5 or 10 feet for a pass in front of the flightline. Looks great. But that aside my corsair has never tried to dive into the ground as Boris said his did. I can't say the problem fix is to laminate the tail surfaces, but since I was going to over power the plane, that tnin balsa tail just scared me. None of the other guys that fly the corsairs here have mentioned having the dive problem. Oh ya I also went with all metal gears. those small servos with plastic gears scare me also. I think it is good to be wary when pushing the limits and a couple bucks and a little extra work is well worth the effort. good flying
Old 08-10-2005, 07:10 AM
Hirobocool

I like corsair, I have 32sx heli and me like to know that APC goes to him well

THANK ...

JOSE.
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2005, 10:27 AM
gwong

Borisp,

My friend wrecked his corsair...coming out of a high speed dive...maybe he suffered the same problem...thx for the tip

Gord.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:58 PM
borisp

Sad news . But I'm sure when I crash mine, Nr. 2 will be ordered immediately. Still it's a Great plane.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:10 PM
gwong

Hi eljimbo,

What electric motor are you powering your P51 with?

ESC?

Battery?

My friend is using an AXI 2808/24, CC35 and Kokam 3S 2000mah 15C Lipo and APC 9x6e prop.

Thanks,

Gord.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:57 PM
eljimb0

I made the motor myself, it has a 2P3S 3000 Max-amps, CC45, and two 3 blade 9x7 master airscrew props. I have a bunch of time invested in this thing and I want to get as close a possible to the right balance, aileron travel ect.
I want to know about the AUW of planes that have flown.
thanks,
jimbo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84895.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	308542  
Old 08-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Hirobocool

this is my CORSAIR...!!

Name:	Sq46780.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	309047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88097.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	309048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81260.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	309049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29801.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	309050  
Old 08-13-2005, 06:57 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE
My Feedback: (2)

Well, with the corsair. I was going downwind full throttle with the os 25 FX and as I was pulling out of the fly by the left side of the elevator stab snapped off. I was able to land it with 1 side of the elevator. Make sure you reinforce the elevator stab with rods or something. Love the plane. Wonder how long i gotta wait to get the tail set for this. I am anxious to go back up i really love it.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:13 PM
broadline

so i put the plane together just the way it was explained in the instructions with the engine inverted now when i flip the plane over for normal flight the engine stalls out the engine is a new os .25fx i'm running 10% nitro. i dont know if i put the fuel tank in wrong. any help would be great thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 06:30 PM
borisp

This is a common situation with inverted engine setup. You should just properly setup your engine (needle valve and mixture control valve).

Problem is when breaking in the new engine you want to run on the "rich" mixture as much as possible. But, when you start your engine and flip the plane to a normal orientation, engine goes from upright to inverted position, and you will be even more on the "rich" side. If the mixture is too "rich" and the glow plug is disconnected the engine may stop (look at the engine manual page 19.).

So, try to gradually close needle valve until you get a continuous engine run in a point where it just breaks from four-cycle operation into two-cycle operation. Consequently, while breaking in, avoid prolonged inverted or nose up flights because then your engine will run on the "leaner" mixture.

After break in procedure you should set up the engine it should run slightly "richer" than optimum needle valve setting while inverted (normal plane orientation), and slightly "leaner" than optimum position while in upright position (inverted or nose up plane) .

Others opinion are very welcome!

Old 08-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Frito60

Hey Gang,

I love this thread, I found the Great Planes Combat Corsair at our local shop and got juiced by reading this thread. My son and I have been flying for three years together and we are going to give this new plane a trial today!

I was very impressed with how well this little plane went together and the quality of the hardware. I have included in our photos the modification we made to the rudder for yaw control. The plane as deliver was TOTALLY set up to accept the modification... from the mounting position on the servo tray to the mounted pushrod tube in the fuse that exits at the tail in position for the rudder. The ARF is even bundled with the push rod and control horn for the conversion. I realize the model is designed for combat but I can't understand why the manual does not even make one mention of this conversion. We'll post our impression of the effectiveness of the rudder. My only other concern is the high position of the fuel tank in relation to the carb on the inverted engine. As others have posted, the inverted position can be dicey to set up and run correctly... the siphoning of fuel to the carb combined with the inverted position definitely makes the little motor run rich. I personnally broke in the engine with the plane inverted and leaned out the needle valve for inverted operation after the run-in period.

Thanks to everyone that posted, it really helps when we prep for building a flying a new plane.

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Old 08-21-2005, 10:54 AM
BDREW

I have the Corsair. It is a lot of Fun. but.....the only thing I would suggest is to upgrade to micro MG (metal gear) servos in the wing and standard for the elevator. After using Hitech 81 in the wings and several high speed dives the servos gave out.... and Yes...I am using the recommended OS .25 setup.

This plane is a Blast to fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Jacop10

Here are some pictures of my Corsair with its rudder mod.

Name:	Tr51059.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	313143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20819.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	313144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54146.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	313145  
Old 08-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Jacop10

Jacop10 and I flew the Corsair this afternoon. Put four flight on her and had a blast! Brian set up the ailerons with differential and exponential the elevator. We are running with the O.S. 25LA. I was worried about flaring out the inverted engine, but we didn't have any problems at all in the air. With speedbrakes and flaps the plane is a blast to fly. The rudder is great for correcting adverse yaw in turns... I would highly recommend a four channel setup.

No problems with hand launch. I held the plane just behind the wing and tossed overhand. A little tendency to roll out to the right, but quickly brought it under control. I like having the skids under the plane to take the landings off of the aileron linkage. Just a bit of insurance.

Great little plane!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.