Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 12:25 PM
bassman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Anyone notice that they have provided post WWII Stars and bars with the red stripe yet have Japanese kill markings!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:58 PM
eljimb0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They did that in real life too. There were P 80 pilots in korea with WW2 kills on thier planes. It goes with the pilot not the plane... I think
jimbo
Old 08-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Demon

ORIGINAL: eljimb0

They did that in real life too. There were P 80 pilots in korea with WW2 kills on thier planes. It goes with the pilot not the plane... I think
jimbo
Got a picture or reference to a picture of that? I'd very much like to see it/them. I'm not busting your chops, just curious from a scale modeler's standpoint.

D
Old 08-23-2005, 02:36 AM
eljimb0

here you go:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84698.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	313909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39883.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	313910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51049.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	313911  
Old 08-23-2005, 08:09 AM
Demon

Very interesting, Jimbo! Thanks!

These machines are located stateside (Washington, DC) before the Korean conflict broke out. I Googled all of the variations I could think of for the "416th Fighter Group", but didn't find anything (no history or combat record - no trace of existence - maybe a typo in that book?). Anyway, I doubt that those airplanes would have gone to the Korean theater 4 years later with those kill markings because they likely would have flown in & out of Japan at one point or another - musn't insult their new 'hosts'.

Thanks again, very interesting!
D
Old 08-23-2005, 11:24 AM
eljimb0

darin,
Keep checking around, You will find more.
jimbo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93719.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	314006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49174.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	314007  
Old 08-24-2005, 11:13 PM
corvett

Three of the guys in our club have built dollies to launch their corsairs. One of them was marginal on a paved strip, one was totally unsuccessful, but the third one was a total success even on grass. This airplane has had a bad tendency to snap to the left. Power is a OS 32 sx. On three takeoffs today the plane took off great with no snap. So the moral of the story is if the first one, or two times you try don't work keep trying.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:55 AM
bassman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you post some pictures of the dolly that worked. I am finishing up a Corsair now and would really like not to have to hand launch.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 10:23 AM
borisp

Yes please, crowd would like to see it !
Old 08-25-2005, 10:33 AM
raston

I would also like to see the dolly that worked
Old 08-25-2005, 01:34 PM
F-16WpnsTech

Can someone post a pic of the skids you're using?
Old 08-26-2005, 06:05 PM
gumhead

ORIGINAL: Jacop10

Here are some pictures of my Corsair with its rudder mod.
Hey I seen you and your plane down at hobby USA in Bellingham last week! Great job on the rudder mod.

Here's mine (no rudder mod [sm=frown.gif] ) power = FX25...
This plane is a blast!

Old 08-31-2005, 11:18 PM
corvett

sorry about no picture of the dolly. I don't know how to do pictures. I still haven't learned how to use and hook up a digital camera to a computer yet. The dolly was from an article in a magazine which was given back to someone else. If I can locate the guy I'll send it along.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Minizspirit

Hi,
I'm French and i bought the P51 at Tower Hobbies. It's a very nice product. I'd like to know how (and where) you catch the plane to launch it. Have you got some vids about this serie.Thanks
Christophe
Old 09-04-2005, 05:41 PM
gumhead

Here's a pic from yesterday, the GP combat P-51 Mustang and the GP combat F4U Corsair...

Old 09-06-2005, 12:12 AM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

I maidened my GP Combat P-51 today. Does it ever go!!! I just have an OS LA 25 with a 9X6 APC prop on the front. On the second flight we opened her up and with a radar gun she was clocked at 86 MPH!!! Yes, we were pushing her down hill but that is fast for such a small airplane and engine. I've flown my King cat at 195 MPH and it didn't seem it was going as fast as the Mustang. Also the radar gun measures the speed of objects coming straight at you and the Mustang was out about 20ft so the actual speed was probably 90 mph. I have just the standard Hitec 81's in it and I didn't seem to have any problems but I'm going to change them out to Metal gear HS 85's just to be safe. A fun flying airplane. The best part is I don't have to worry about wiping the gear out when I land it.

Booker
Old 09-10-2005, 10:07 AM
Minizspirit

This afternoon, my p51 flew for the first time . The fly was great but a friend of mine crashed it few minutes later. He cut the motor and the P51 began a serie of rolls. I didn't understand what happened. Could you tell me if the CG indicates by Great Planes is good ? Some friends thought that the CG was too front. I think that's an error of the pilot ! I'm very sad and i'll buy another one in few months.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:46 AM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

Sorry to hear about your Mustang. It's truly a fun flying machine. The Great Planes CG is fine. I had mine a little further forward than they reccomended for the first flight and run out of elevater on landing. No harm done but I moved the battery back for the next flight and it landed fine. I doubt the CG would of caused the problem you described.
Galen

Old 09-10-2005, 07:07 PM
gumhead

The P51 is a very touchy plane. The wing is small, thin and tapered, you have to be on the sticks at all times. I had trouble with my maiden flight, the rates were to high and the plane wanted to roll with only a small touch of ailerons. I set the throws to a 1/4 inch as GP specifies and it was much better but I ran out of elevator on landing as booker-RCU did. No real harm was done to the plane, just a hard landing....
Old 09-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

What I remember from all of my scale warbirds was unlike sport planes, you don't need that much movement when the plane is set up right. 3/8 full throw on an elevator was too twitchy. Same for the aileron. But they did fly hands off pretty well. Necesary for combat when you are flying your plane by perifery vision and looking at someone elses. If you have to watch your plane all the time, you is a target not a hunter.

The throttle should be used at all times to fly the plane at a comfortable speed, but if that speed is too slow for the plane, it will tip stall and could possibly come in like yours did. Just like any other plane, once you have it up and trimmed to neutral, you should experiment up high to verify what stalls are like and how slow you can fly and maintain control.

I've got my eye on one of these Birds, maybe for Christmas. I also would like a 3 meter sailplane.

Course I could win the lottery too, that wouldn't be bad!
Old 09-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Airnondas
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was also looking for a dolly and came upon this set-up. It is for a Weston speed plane but will work great for the Mustang or Corsair combat planes. Make sure that the dolly is steerable, here is the link.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_19...tm.htm#1974649

Airnondas.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Juice

Has anyone flown these planes with an OS .15 LA?

I like SLOW and SCALE combat. I think that the 1/12 scale combat with .25 engines is too fast. And those "scale" SSC combat planes with the huge wings looks wrong. If it can get past the hand launch, these planes with an OS .15 LA engine might be a good compromise between slow and scale.

Any other comments about this combo is welcome.

Juice
Old 09-19-2005, 03:09 AM
borisp

And what about limiting throttle EPA at let's say 50% on .25 engines? So you can have both, just in case.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If you mean End Point Adjustment as in on the radio to control the throttle, you can't regulate or trust that. Wouldn't take me too long to figure out how to rig a radio to give it a little extra fair and if I can do it, somebody else will use it. OR you'll have people that are convinced that others are using it. Just the way it is.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:05 AM
nexxa

I finally buy one (GP P51 Mustang). I buy a brand new OS.32SX, and today is the Maiden fliht.... Its going to be relax I need to broke the engine first and make some flight with rich mixture.

Just wondering for the prop size.... For slow flight and break in, Im gona use a APC 10X5, and for speed an APC 8X8.... somebody test this engine with an 8X8 prop. I dont think I can get more pitch for this engine on an 8" prop?
I have a 2.5" spinner, I can't go on a smaller prop, my minimum to have and acceptable Thrust is 8".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.