Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 08:44 PM
corvett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

No problem at all with ballance using the os 46FX. I do not have any skids under the airplane at all. The center of the head is exactly even with the bottom of the cowl and the head sticks down about 1/16" on the outside edges. Of course the glow plug sticks down a bit, but so far no problem since I only land on grass. I also have to pick out a little grass around the head. I have the engine mounted as close to the firewall as possible. I have also installed a larger tank. The battery is mounted under the tank, the receiver is directly behind the tank. I am using a standard hitec servo for elevator, a hitec HS81 for throtle, and two hitec HS81MG for ailerons. It has beeen some time since I built this model I don't remember if I needed to add weight in the rear or not. I dont't think so. If you need to add weight in the rear, try to put it in the tail cone as it will take less weight the farther back you put it. I'm sure you probably know that, but I tend to ramble onnnnnnn last, I am running an APC 9/8 for a prop on 15% fuel love this plane. Oh yea anyone put a 46FX in the little mustang yet?
Old 11-06-2005, 01:45 AM
blacksheep
My Feedback: (1)

Has anyone mounted a Saito 30 on the Combat Corsair? What mount did you use?

Kind regards,

blacksheep
Old 11-06-2005, 06:50 PM
hy flyr
My Feedback: (27)

I put my Mustang together this weekend and used .25fx. With the battery installed toward the rear, it's still way nose heavy. Anybody else have this problem?
Old 11-09-2005, 07:11 AM
dkreitz
My Feedback: (1)

Yes. On mine with the 32SX, I moved the tank back over the CG, put a small 6v, AAA pack aft of the wing, and still needed 1.5 oz at the tail to balance it.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:56 AM
irwina
My Feedback: (4)

What prop are you using and what elevation are you flying at. I've got the kit and will be flying at 3400' elevation.

Thanks

Art.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:25 PM
bassman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone seen the Model Airplane news review of the Mustang and corsair? The expert reviewer got the vertical stablizer of the Corsair intalled backwards.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:24 PM
gumhead

ORIGINAL: bassman

Has anyone seen the Model Airplane news review of the Mustang and corsair? The expert reviewer got the vertical stablizer of the Corsair intalled backwards.

Expert!!! funny!

I seen that too. It looks stupid, you would think he would have questioned it...

Whats with all the cap screws around the cowl for? Did he install that wrong too? The way GP has the cowl attached to the firewall is slick, why would he have screws holding it on?
Old 11-12-2005, 05:53 PM
acep51
My Feedback: (21)

I just received my yesterday and want to perform some modifications.Can anyone tell me where I can purchase chinakote/monekote corsair blue that matches what is already on this bird?Thank you.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:17 PM
babenson

If anyone has a crashed i.e. unflyable (GP) Combat Corsair, I will buy the firewall and cowl....name a price! Within reason...
-B
Old 11-15-2005, 01:24 PM
babenson

ORIGINAL: ARF Guy

Yep! Bought the Corsair, added rudder and landing gear and have a great flying "sport" warbird. Flies with a Magnum .30 4 stroke, sounds great uses no fuel. Used a caster tail wheel and it makes for some comical taxiing in wind!
Hey ARF GUY
How did you add landing gear? I want to do this to mine, but I am not sure where to begin.
Any help appreciated
-B
Old 11-15-2005, 03:43 PM
acep51

I'm in the process of installing a pair of Sring Air 600 series retracts. You can check them out at the link below.

http://www.retracts.com/retracts.htm

Old 11-16-2005, 08:44 AM
ARF Guy

Glad you asked Babenson. I opened the wings just beyond the gull joint and boxed the area from leading edge to spar and rib to rib with lite ply to mount hardwood gear blocks to. I downloaded a 3-view drawing off the Internet and approximated the gear length, bent 1/8th wire to an appropriate shape and mounted 2 1/2" wheels. Then I glued the skins back in place and patched with some gray Monokote (which ISN'T what the plane is covered with. The rudder is yellow on my plane because when I took the wrinkles out with the Monokote setting it melted the factory covering right off and Monocote Blue doesn't match). Tail wheel is a caster since the rudder is not easily accessed from below. I cut and installed a working rudder and servo using the existing servo tray location, provided push rod and already installed guide. Taxiing can be a bit comical with a little wind but it tracks straight and takes off very scale-like. Landings are a piece of cake and my field is in Prescott AZ at 5500'.

This isn't a difficult task. I quit "building" about 30 years ago and sure as heck am NOT a master builder. The plane as I built it and where I fly performs very scale-like. It has a Magnum .30 4 stroke in it mounted inverted and it flys great. It doesn't fly at 2000 scale mph and I'm not a combat pilot, I just wanted a scale-looking warbird that didn't fall out of the sky if you dared slow down. It flys like a good .40 sized sport plane, hardly uses any fuel and makes real pretty wheel landings.

I bought the Mustang and have an old OS .25 FSR for it but the holidays and life are chipping into my model assembling time right now. It uses one less servo but that smaller, tapered wing might make it a bit more challenging.

Oh and one other thing. I was born with bad eyes and as I extend my string of birthdays, they don't get much better so I fly low and close and don't even THINK of flying it on a gray, clowdy day! [:-]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46759.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	355285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14816.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	355286  
Old 11-18-2005, 11:08 AM
topspeed

Is 600 series good enuf for a 1/12 scale corsair ?
Old 11-18-2005, 12:43 PM
acep51

Yes, 600 series is what Bill at Spring Air Retracts told me would be fine.I think they are good up to 4 lbs. They also have a very nice 2 1/2 inch in length and 1 3/8 inches in diameter air supply tank. Give Bill a call and he will explain them all to you, he is a very nice English gentleman.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:34 AM
topspeed

Hello Ace,

What kinda retracts would fit into Mosquito....dirrefent than in a Mustang ?

rgds,

Juke
Old 11-22-2005, 07:48 AM
acep51

I'm not familiar with the Mosquito you have Topspeed. You want to know what your total final weight of the plane will be. This takes into account all modifications done to the plane installing retracts, etc,. Spring Air has the specifications on max load of their different series gear sets.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:40 PM
konatiki

Can any one tell me if you can install a 2 stroke engine up right (not inverted)in the Corsair?
Old 11-26-2005, 08:52 PM
ARF Guy

regets ama,

I am using a 10X5 Master AS. Maybe it's the higher thinner altitude where I live but it seemed to be reving awful high for a 4 stroke here. 10,500 rpm is where it
runs.

ARF Guy
Old 11-27-2005, 08:10 PM
finishman2000
My Feedback: (7)

I flew my Mustang with a new Norvel .25 yesterday...oh my gawd! I have never flown so fast. Luckily I managed to have some fun and still get her down. Second flight I dialed the rates down and was a little less exciting from then on. A whole lot of fun and no problem hand launching at all.
Where are you guys getting the pilots for your planes and what size are they? Thanks cas
Old 11-28-2005, 09:57 AM
ARF Guy

finishman,

I believe mine is an old Williams Brothers pilot for a .40 size plane. I've had it in my "parts" box for about 25 years. Not sure he would look right in the Mustang. He crashed 2 AT-6's but I think he's a much better pilot now!

ARF GUY
Old 11-28-2005, 10:26 AM
finishman2000

Yea I called great planes and was told they too used an old pilot that was laying around for the pics taken.

I am also going to change out the servos in the mustang and will use these in the corsair when i build it. They have 50oz of tor, metal gears and bb so I think they should work best. Cas
http://www.balsapr.com/pdf/BMS-380MAX.pdf
Old 11-28-2005, 11:09 PM
matacin
My Feedback: (-1)

I am about to put a la .40 in my stang. why move the fuel tank back so far when you cg on empty? any other advice? thanks
Old 11-29-2005, 04:56 AM
finishman2000

my cg was right on the money. All i did was put the battery pack right behind the tank on a piece of thin ply i CA'd in. I used velcro so I could adjust as need be for the cg.
Since my first few flights, i put a small plastic tail hook that is right behind the cal on the bottom to help with the landing on the glow plug. The balso there is so weak that the balsa flexed so much that it is very weak si I missed up so PU glue with a couple drop of water and poured it into the area. It foams up and makes the area very strong and now the hook has no weakness at all.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:25 AM
dschmid37

I just finished my Combat Corsair. It was the perfect plane for my old Enya .25 That I ran across while cleaning the basement. Thanks to the help of "Arf Guy", and other posts I read hear, I added landing gear and rudder to her and she looks great! I bought my pilot from Hobby Lobby. They have a few to chose from in 1/12 scale and can be found at this link. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/pilots.htm
Here are a few pics of my Corsair. And also the original from which this model came!
Original photo came from this site. It has great information. http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org...fg1-92095.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71483.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	361999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47044.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	362000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65527.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	362001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn33004.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	362002  
Old 11-29-2005, 12:07 PM
ARF Guy

Wow dschmid37, she's a beauty. I like your dummy engine, is it scratch?

Hope you enjoy flying it as much as I do mine.

ARF GUY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.