Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

FULL CONTACT COMBAT!!! Come one, come all

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

FULL CONTACT COMBAT!!! Come one, come all

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 08:35 AM
TheJester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FULL CONTACT COMBAT!!! Come one, come all

Alright, so my buddy and I live in Iowa, if that isn't bad enough, we are TOTALLY consumed with flying. So much so, that my buddie's trike, a REAL flying object actually sits in the hanger only needing a small piece of all thread fixed to be back up in the air. He even HAS the All Thread, but is YET to fix it Last time I talked to him, he's got the bug so bad that he's going to sell the trike to get MORE planes. The only time the trike was even talked about, was when we were discussing if he could fly it, I would ride and fly an RC at the same time. Rock on.

Anyway, to say the least, we are MAD about flying. Now that we've got it going on and a good sized HANGER full of different planes, we are starting to get into the combat deal. HOWEVER, we DO NOT want to go the streamer route. We want to do FULL FORCE, FULL CONTACT, last plane to hit the ground COMBAT and we are inviting EVERYONE to join.

The rules are simple. We get about 15-20 minutes of battery life per NORMAL Flight on 2100 MaxAmp battery cells. With Combat, you are using WAY more throttle so we go with 10 minute Rounds. We have a digital timer velcro'ed to a control that sounds at 5 and 10 minutes.

Once all planes are in the air, it is game on for the round. No teams, but that could be arranged, free for all. The only rule that applies is, NO going after the other PILOT, IE: dive bombing them to distract them and NO physical contact with other pilots, be it person to person, or screwing with their controller. The battle is in the air, and only in the air.

Last plane to hit the ground wins. If you can down a plane then successfully land, you have MAJOR bragging rights.

At the 10 minute, end of round mark, just like boxing, all combat is paused/dissengaged, planes land, batteries swapped out, cigarettes smoked, ETC. Then back in the air. A draw is only called when all batteries are gone, we have 10 between us and more on the way. and all planes are still "alive".

Now that you know the ground rules, we were thinking of holding an "Event". Not sure of where or when, but wanting to see the draw toward interest in it. The Combat is with Foamies, modified ANY way you like to win, like battle bots. Balso is in another catagorie, but I doubt many want to go that route. Foamies simply hot glue back together. Also, if you don't want to do combat, we were thinking of a dive bombing event. Dropping paintballs in a circular target.

We are already thinking of doing it with actual prizes, Hacker motors (best in the world), etc, or just going with pool hall style, $5 to enter the "fight", winner takes the pot. What do you all think?
Old 06-10-2006, 08:43 AM
TheJester

Default RE: FULL CONTACT COMBAT!!! Come one, come all

Also, forgot, you can rig your plane ANY way you like to win. What that means, is that, if you can rig something up to ACTUALLY shoot other planes, game on and more power to you.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:12 AM
TheJester

think I posted this in the wrong forum, so it is here in the foamies: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43...tm.htm#4374606
Old 06-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Natch

Hey Jester,
I'm thinking that three minute battles would be long enough for my nerves.
If you have equipment failures and have to set down, are you considered beaten?
Happy landings
Old 06-10-2006, 11:57 PM
TheJester

If you have to land, you HAVE to land on the designated landing strip, putting yourself at risk in the process due to slowing speed, steady flight path, all that crap. You can attempt to make repairs and combat is suspended. It works like a TKO system in boxing. You get three of those per battle, NOT per round. If after attempts to make repairs fail and you can not return. You're out.

This is allowed solely because we want the BATTLE, not to watch a plane that takes damage to say the prop, battery gets knocked loose, whatever, slowly destroy itself in the air on it's own, though that may just happen trying to get back to the landing strip.

Looking to try and pull this off around August some time and probably fairly close to South East Iowa, being as that is where we currently "play", but the best place to get the most people is just as good.

Natch: that's why 10 minute rounds, gotta know your limits and use your power to your advantage or weakness. Also, hence the smoking cigarettes between rounds. :P
Old 06-11-2006, 08:51 AM
TheJester

I see people looking, but I don't see people posting, come on boys and girls, what do you think. YEAH, it's a mostly foamy thing, but that is what makes it so fun, they are cheap and easy to repair, come be the LORD OF THE SKIES.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Trombe
My Feedback: (1)

You're several years behind the times. Zagi-Palooza was a HUGE hit, doing almost exactly as you described, but it's dead now.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Natch

Hey Jester,
I guess you're going to have to send messages to all those guys in Australia, Across Europe, and California to tell them that their sport is dead.
Happy Landings
Old 06-13-2006, 09:27 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Her in North Carolina,,,, GOldsboro, me and about 5 of my buddies bought TEAM SEAHOLM combat planes last year and we did the streamer deal for about a couple of months, it was fun but we have recently been doing full contact, it is ablast,
Old 06-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Splatz

We just had a Slowstick event that had full contact combat. 18 Slowsticks in the air at once! Big Meatball... Scope out this thread for pic's and video.[link]http://www.bayrc.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2543[/link]
Old 06-14-2006, 07:37 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Streamers or Full Contact.

Everyone is forgetting a big part of combat: Flak.

Here is what I'm thinking. Combat planes in the air for streamers or contact. The twist is each pilot has a partner with a paintball gun. Each gunner has a different color paint ball. Play for points or fun.

Think I'll bring my son's paintball gun to the field Sunday and give it a try!
Old 06-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Natch

Hey guys,
Here is what I'm looking at in prep for my battle with that crazy Jester. He threw down the gauntlet and I'm getting ready.
Anyway some interesting things here: www.warriorwings.com
I ordered an XE2 from these guys: www.combatwings.com
I'm used to slow flyers so this is going to be a new thing for me. Especially with the elevons and the small props.
I'm looking at some higher speed motors than I'm used to and going through the learning curve on those. I have X20 speed controllers and would like to be able to use them if it turns out to be enough amps. I also have to do some boning up on whether or not my lipos will handle this kind of motor. They recommend the Himax 2815-3000, but I know what i've got wouldn't handle what that thing needs.
Really anxious to get started on the new flying wing.
Happy Landings
Old 06-15-2006, 04:22 AM
TheJester

Badger, I like the way you think.

CLEAN, I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes or be a jerk, but it has been my experience that THIS is why your sport is actuaully in trouble, not the combat people. IE:

Ok, so my buddy and I are flying at our local spot, a church parking lot surrounded by cornfields out on the edge of town. For weeks we had been going there whenever the wind would die down enough to let us. Each time we came, we brought every battery we had, plane we had which could fly, and each time, that number of planes became more and more.

Some times there would be an event going on at the church, basketball, youth groups, Boy Scouts, whatever, and each time, they would stop and talk with us, and we with them. Letting them look at the planes, what they could do, landing and showing them what they were made of, FOAM, and what not, just being nice to them and them to us. A couple of times an older gentleman stopped by and even told us about the days of when he used to fly before remote control, called, Free Flight. He lives near by and pretty much drives over every time he sees a bird in the sky. Again, nice guy, nice conversation, REALLY interested in the sport. Hell, even an glider pilot stopped by and was AMAZED that we were getting the performance we did out of electric and even more amazed at the time we got in the air. We gave him several websites to get back into the sport and the like. SOOOO, overall, just a plane nice place to be. We were always nice and inviting to anyone that dropped by and everyone liked dropping by. This wasn't a surprise as we had heard stories of there once being an RC club in town, WAY back in the day.

HOWEVER, and here is where I get to my point, this one afternoon a guy stops by as I'm flying and my buddy is just watching. As I'm flying they are chatting back and forth about foamies, the power, blah blah blah, but then my buddy askes, so do you fly foamies too and the guy responds "NOOOOoooo, I fly REAL airplanes", to which my buddy says "wow, me too, that's great, I have a 2 cycle Trike in the hanger just south of here, what do you fly" and he said "uh, no, what I meant was balsa planes or IMAC"

THAT is what is hurting your sport, this whole HOLIER THAN THOUGH BS the pilots are portraying themselves at. I'm sorry, REAL planes and REAL pilots are planes/pilots that get off the ground together. If you are flying a FREAKING NAPKIN, I don't care, come out and let's have some fun together, but this whole REAL planes has been a joke of ours ever since we heard the guy say it. No reason to be cocky just because you have to drive an hour away to the airport to even fly the thing and we can go 5 minutes a way to get our flying on.

Arrogance, that is what is hurting your sport, not the reckless youthful banter of flying, pushing the limits, and god for bid, having fun out there.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:21 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I wouldn't take arguments from locked threads to other threads, that just gets them locked too.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:46 AM
Demon

ORIGINAL: Clean

I wouldn't take arguments from locked threads to other threads, that just gets them locked too.
Correct.

To all;
Keep this one on topic, avoid that whole 'my ideas are better than your's' thing and this thread should do ok. Go off the reservation with banter about unsafe practices (such as, but not limited to: shooting from the planes or metal props to chew apart the opponents), or start arguing over what you think is or isn't unsafe, and it'll get locked.

Ok?

Thanks,
D
Old 06-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Clean

I can't remember Demon, did you ever get a chance to do slope combat? It's foamy/Zagi combat like Jester is talking about only no motors or motor packs to worry about, as long as the breeze is blowing. That's great stuff, think I mentioned that in the other thread.

At MWSC our last rounds are usually everyone up and the finallists are last up is the winner for a timed period. If you get knocked out of the air your kills don't count BUT if you make it through the time period without any kills and someone else does, well, you were just dodgin! IT's great fun and you'll literally have every available channel in the air playin with ya.

If you don't have a slope available I can see doin the powered Zagi thing, though I used an FMA Razor at the time, and I have done the SloStick combat too. Something about stickin a LyPoly on a Slow Stick and watching it come alive right next to another guys, well, I'm just glad we didn't pop a cell and make fire come out. It was inside a convention center. Didn't think about that till I watched another guys airplane just go in by accident and burst into flames by itself.

Oh, on the one battery ejection that I had I did have a streamer tied to the battery. It hit just right in the tall grass and the darn streamer followed right through and crumpled up on top of it. 16 inches of streamer neatly folded on top. What you guys would do in corn, yeouzza.

I have dropped paintballs from and fired paintballs at my SPADs. The shooting at is a pain, very hard to hit. The dropping from though turns out to be worthless. I've dropped those stinkin paintballs from the window of my car while driving 65 mph down the road only to watch them happily bounce back up complete. Evidently it takes one heck of a pop to make those things blow or I got the thicked skin ones. Instead, I drop Styrofoam cup bombs. Fact is, I just made 10 more last night for SPADFEST tomorrow through Sunday. Fill a stryo cup up with flour, hot glue a piece of cardstock over the top to make it stay there, then hot glue another cup upside down on the first. Then, another cup right side up on the last. Makes a cool lookin, realistic dropping bomb that makes a pretty good puff of flour when it hits. You can make paint balls out of the same materials, just fill partways with water and add some temper paint, then hotglue watertight. Warning there though, if you fill an 8 ounce coffee cup with water, it weighs the plane down pretty good and hits the ground very hard. It would go through a normal wing. The one that I dropped I actually had the two cups glued together with the bottom cut out of the top cup. Filled with water/paint and sealed with the top cup. I think it accelerated off the bottom of my plane and it left a good divot blown out of the ground where it hit.

The idea of making bombing runs and protecting your groups bomber has come up, but in the end its been my experience that everyone wants to be a fighter and we do bomb drops seperately. It's just more fun to do the combat part. But if you can go 10 minutes without knocking everyone out of the air, you is doin sumptin wrong.

Remember at all times, you are representing thousands of us, do a good job.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Demon

ORIGINAL: Clean

I can't remember Demon, did you ever get a chance to do slope combat? It's foamy/Zagi combat like Jester is talking about only no motors or motor packs to worry about, as long as the breeze is blowing. That's great stuff, think I mentioned that in the other thread.
Hey Clean,
Unfortunately, no. There aren't any good tree-less hills within 50 miles of where I live. There are some R/C slope soaring guys that fly off the tiny burm of a resivoir, but even that's a good 45 minute drive. From what I hear, there's quite a bit of slope soaring up on Cape Cod and supposedly there's some full-contact combat going on there too. It is on my list of things to at least check out in person - someday.

D
Old 06-15-2006, 07:48 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks to be quite a few Carolinians here..I never knew, course I generally fly 1/2A ,there is 1/2A combat but I havent tried it..I do have that GP mustang ready for a test flight just havent made time for it.....Rog
Old 06-16-2006, 03:21 AM
TheJester

Clean, I like the idea of the skilled bomb drop and I'm glad you mentioned the flour/paintball thing because that is what we were thinking of. It's another thing we would like to incorporate in the event, bomb dropping.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Clean

I think there's two left after taking 14 to SPADfest this weekend. There wouldn't be any except the first thing I did at SPADfest was takeoff with my ailerons reversed on my bomb drop plane. Had to check a local hobbyshops junk bin for a muffler to fit the MDS that snapped off, luckily on the muffler ears not the engines. I think it's a Tower 61 muffler, not a perfect fit but close enough. They actually had another MDS 58 muffler in the bin, but it had the same troubles as mine.

Gotta warn ya though, I drop em right in front of me so you better just have me judge that event.