Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

My first experience with combat planes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

My first experience with combat planes

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 06:25 AM
aimmaintenance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My first experience with combat planes

ORIGINAL: Fred420

If I were you I would run the .25 instead of the .15 for your first combat plane. You will likely build heavy and the .25 can handle weight better. I can use all full size gear in my 25 size planes and end up around 3.25 .lbs. My 15 (ssc) planes with all full size gear end up close to 3 and fly kinda sluggish . The 25 planes in my opinion are just more enjoyable to fly with the added power. Also it seems that the .25s are less finicky than the 15s.
I've built a few 25s that ended up around 3.75 pounds and still flew nicely
The SSC Class is NOT sluggish. Are you familiar with the Battle Axe? How much combat time do you have? If you build to 3lbs. then you are building too heavy. Flight ready, I am at 2lbs 9oz. 1oz over min weight. You do not need full size servo's. The Hitec HS81MG are great for all functions. That is what most pilots are using. This plane will fly 55mph. in tight, close combat. Speed is not everything, how fast can you turn manuver is the key. Do Not be fooled into thinking that .15 are sluggish.

Go to: http://www.rccombat.com/index.asp That is the RCCA for all combat info and more knowledge on SSC class. Great forums.

Dave Davis
AKA: "that red-headed step-child"
I didn't say SSC was sluggish. I said that when I built SSC to 3 .lbs that THEY are sluggish. I now can build a little closer to the 2.5 .lb limit and they fly decent. What I was attempting to convey was that MOST (not all) beginners will build heavy and most will use whatever gear they currently have laying around which usually is full size gear. That being said, the 25s "B" planes will be more forgiving to the beginners building techniques. This is my 3rd year of building combat planes and so far the best I can do is 2.lb 12oz for SSC. Sure if I go buy some mini servos and such I think I could hit the 2.5 mark but I'm just not willing to spend the cash to do it.

All I was telling him was that if he sticks with the 25s he can use full size gear and won't have to worry quite as much about weight and still have a NICE flying plane. With the 15s he had better watch his weight or suffer a sluggish flying plane. I could go on and on why I think the 25s are a better choice for the BEGINNER but my intent is not to argue but rather to clarify my above post.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Montague

Fwiw, it does depend on the individual and how they build their planes. I've helped several guys build SSC planes as a first combat plane, using 2 standard servos, and they always come out close to 2.5 lbs. However, if you're the kind of guy who believes that more glue is better, or you're always "improving" the kit design, then you might wind up heavy. One guy here decided that my fuse design needed to be stronger, and his plane came out like a tank.

(Never mind that the only time I've ever damaged an SSC fuse was when someone hit it with a prop. Driving them straight down at full throttle doesn't hurt them).

Which also brings me to the big advantage with the .15 powered planes. A well designed SSC plane will take a full-speed crash with out serious damage. Every .25 powered plane that I've seen can be broken in a crash with out help from another plane. Beginning combat pilots often drive in on their own, so having a plane that won't be damaged by that kind of thing is a plus.

And speaking of your SSC planes coming out that heavy, how are you building them? What is the design? If you can't get below 2lb 12oz, something odd is going on. You aren't using ripstop on them or something, are you? The best SSC covering seems to be colored packing tape. Some guys use Ultrakote or other heat-shink covering, but I prefer tape, since it's stronger. And tape will strink with an iron or heat gun to remove wrinkles later if required.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Alex Treneff

Trey,

SSC is a great class. It's easy enough for beginners to fly, yet fast enough for the long-time, battle-hardened fliers like Kirk. Open B is very fast (90 mph). Too fast to be any fun for me.

I believe the Battle Axe was the first combat plane Dave built. One ounce over min weight is as close as you want to come. Most planes are about 1-4 ounces over.

We rcommend the OS LA15 because is is a durable, easy to use engine and the needle valve is not right next to the prop. Although the OS is far more poular among combat fliers, a lot of pilots, such as Dave and Kirk use the Magnum .15s very successfully.

The engine-mount holes on the Battle Axe are pre-drilled for the OS LA15. When using a magnum .15 you can use the existing rear holes and drill new front holes if required.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:14 AM
KI6HNB
My Feedback: (1)

I was wondering how an avenger 1072 might fly with a Magnum .40? And how would Coverrite fabric covering be?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Capn America
My Feedback: (3)

Personally, I like the avenger, Its down side is a weak fuse in the ssc version that we have replaced with a fence post. I like the flying stab and my last couple came in at 2 pounds 4 oz. Plenty of room for more Bidi. Not one broken wing in 10 rounds at the nats this year.

I agree with Aaron on the 25 size planes in this respect. The 25s are easier to tune and keep running than the 15 LA's. there is an amount of "Tweaking required to make an ssc ship a good flying bird. Most of it has to do with getting the engine up to rpm. not a problem one you know the secrets but the learning curve is longer ont he 15's. My open B plane was up and running and competitive instanatly. I had to suffer through a couple events with the ssc till i got it right. Most of the guys who fly ssc here had the same experiance.

Battle axes seem to be pretty good equipment, I got to fly one at the nats this year. I still prefer the avenger myself. Kirks design is very durable as well. My best suggestion is fly what the guys in your area will fly so you have a competitive group to fly with. Its also nice if you can swap parts back and forth.

As for the servos, I use full size on my ssc planes to help make weight and 600mah battery packs. On the B ships i use all hs81 mg servos. I stripped a dozen plastic gears on the ailerons. must be the flutter...

Another site to check out. www.hattrickrc.com Mike has some kits and parts you can also buy to make your own creations.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:11 PM
spackler83

Im trying to get a combat club started at my field. The only thing i am not clear on is what can be used for the ribbon. Is there a special material, or can you use like birthday ribbon? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Clean

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Cookie, these planes fly purty dang good with a 25 on them. Like I said before, in just climb and glide AJ goes out of sight in 15 seconds and then it floats forever, 25 is plenty of power.

Local level, you can just use 2" party streamer. It's easy to see and cheap and below 90 mph's it doesn't have much problems. Hattrick enterprises will sell the RCCA 1 inch streamer.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Montague

A lot of guys take the party store streamer, which is usually in 2" roles, and then run the roll through a bandsaw, giving two 1" wide rolls.

If you want to avoid the measuring and rolling step, Hattrick also sells pre-rolled streamers measured to 30' long. You need to order early though, since supplies vary.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:06 PM
spackler83

Sounds good. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2006, 01:05 PM
vwtrey
My Feedback: (5)

Well, I appreciate everyones help on this. It took a lot of deciding, but I put in an order online this morning for a Battle Axe. I'm pretty excited for it to get here, I have a feeling I will enjoy this.

Alex was more than helpful answering my questions, and I really appreciate that kind of service. Now, If tower gets my order here in time, ill be in business!

trey
Old 08-15-2006, 12:57 PM
grasshopper

Hey Lewis, there quite a few good SSC designs out there as others mentioned, but you can't go wrong with a Battle Axe, and Tim and Alex are good people.

I fly SSC and B Avengers but got to fly a BA at the Nats this year, very nice!

Old 08-17-2006, 11:45 AM
whiskey29

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Know that .25 size Mig-7 SPAD ?
I reduce span 10% put OS LA .15 8x4 prop, 4 hs-81
it came out about 900 grams, less than 2 pounds.
Too light for SSC (we don't have combat here anyway), but sure is fun to fly.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:24 PM
crashhappy

man its been a long time i havent flown combat. you guys are giving me the itch again. might have to take a road trip to texas to fly with the boys in pasadena or how ever you spell it.