Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Airsoft

Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Airsoft

Old 04-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Andersean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airsoft

I think airsoft would be a cool way for rc planes to fight. Although the cost would be large i think it would be interesting to watch planes shoot airsoft pellets at eachother. Just throwing that out there.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:58 AM
blindfaithnogod

Default RE: Airsoft

i believe that is in violation of the AMA safety code.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Andersean

I think airsoft would be a cool way for rc planes to fight. Although the cost would be large i think it would be interesting to watch planes shoot airsoft pellets at eachother. Just throwing that out there.
Have you seen RC or control line combat events?

The problem with adding weight to RC planes is the handling. Cameras, scale details, even landing gear can be significant weight contributions. Expendable ammunition and a permanently mounted launcher would be considerably heavier, requiring a heavier, sturdier airframe to start with, and a more powerful engine or motor. Not to mention the problems with scoring points. Unless the pellets stuck to the opponent, it would be difficult to confirm hits.

Present methods of combat involve snagging streamers, which works well without significant weight addition to the lightweight planes.

Just throwing that out there.
Dave Olson
Old 04-18-2010, 11:03 AM
ftjets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rule #8 of the AMA safety code:

8. I will not operate model aircraft carrying pyrotechnic devices which explode or burn, or any device, which propels a projectile of any kind. Exceptions include
Free Flight fuses or devices that burn producing smoke and are securely attached to the model aircraft during flight. Rocket motors up to a G-series size may
be used, provided they remain firmly attached to the model aircraft during flight. Model rockets may be flown in accordance with the National Model Rocketry
Safety Code; however, they may not be launched from model aircraft. Officially designated AMA Air Show Teams (AST) are authorized to use devices and
practices as defined within the Team AMA Program Document.

If i did it, i certainly would not publicize it.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:19 PM
draftman1

10 to 1 says you could never hit another plane, maybe both at stall speed. AMA says its illegal anyway. for some good RC streamer combat, there is alot of combat action just up the road from you at the Palomar field on I-15. check it out, its harder than you think!. google "Palomar combat" for more info