Community
Search
Notices
RC Drag Racing For all you straight line enthusiasts. Discuss all aspects of rc drag racing here!

GMS Drag Cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Bodyman1969
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMS Drag Cars

I am new to the Drag racing side of r/c and am looking to buy a nice starter car to get my feet wet. I am seeing alot of positive reviews on the kits offered by Grand Motorsports. From what I am reading, their kits are very reasonable in price for the first timers! Thats a plus! Thanks to all who have posted about their kits. I think my mind is made up and I will be ordering my kit from GMS. My next question is about bodies....what is the difference between 190mm and 200mm bodies?? Is one wider than the other?? Is this the only difference?? Thanks and Happy Holidays to everyone!! Scott
Old 12-21-2007, 07:54 PM
ahr43

Default RE: GMS Drag Cars

ORIGINAL: Bodyman1969

I am new to the Drag racing side of r/c and am looking to buy a nice starter car to get my feet wet. I am seeing alot of positive reviews on the kits offered by Grand Motorsports. From what I am reading, their kits are very reasonable in price for the first timers! Thats a plus! Thanks to all who have posted about their kits. I think my mind is made up and I will be ordering my kit from GMS. My next question is about bodies....what is the difference between 190mm and 200mm bodies?? Is one wider than the other?? Is this the only difference?? Thanks and Happy Holidays to everyone!! Scott
Hey Bodyman1969,

Welcome to the wild and crazy world of RC drag racing. Good choice in the GMS. Walbern makes good stuff too. And, there are others out there, but I can't speak to their quailty. I'm assuming you're going to start with electric instead of nitro. I don't know much about nitro, so my comments are directed toward electric.

I recommend staying with the 190mm over the 200mm. I've got a HPI 200mm (nitro) '68 Camaro body on my GMS DragSpec. Just because I LOVE that body. In reality though, it grabs too much air underneath it - even at 1/8" front air dam clearance. It wants to kite in the speed traps on me.

In fact, look closely at all the RC drag specific bodies out there. RAE (Roy Anderson Engineering) makes some neat bodies too. Not sure, but I'm thinking at 1/10 scale, they're even less than 190mm. They really fit the drag chassis close.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Have fun.

AC
Old 12-21-2007, 08:16 PM
hrnts69

If i was you, i would by the DragSpec kit with the R.A.E Super Gas or R.A.E Pro Mod body!
Iam putting the R.A.E. Super Gas bodys on my RTR Bracket cars, iam building!
And i think 200mm are wider than 190mm, but dont trust me on that! Or it could be longer?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Bodyman1969
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the input guys! wasnt sure if it was in the length or width of the body. Yes AC im starting electric. But im seeing where guys are bypassing the ESC and using micro switches for the extra punch from the batteries. How are they wired into the system? Not finding alot on the net in regards to how they are installed. Do you have a wiring diagram on them or do you use a controller?? Is your car the black camaro in the photos of another post?? If so.....nice car buddy!!!! Scott
Old 12-21-2007, 10:07 PM
ahr43

ORIGINAL: Bodyman1969

Thanks for the input guys! wasnt sure if it was in the length or width of the body. Yes AC im starting electric. But im seeing where guys are bypassing the ESC and using micro switches for the extra punch from the batteries. How are they wired into the system? Not finding alot on the net in regards to how they are installed. Do you have a wiring diagram on them or do you use a controller?? Is your car the black camaro in the photos of another post?? If so.....nice car buddy!!!! Scott
Hi Bodyman1969,

190/200mm refers to the width of the body. 190mm "usually" is meant for electric chassis. 200mm "usually" meant to fit a wider nitro chassis. You should get a body choice with GMS purchase. But like hrnts says, look to RAE also. Team Walbern makes bodies too.

Link for wiring micro switches comes from the GMS website:

[link]http://www.grandmotorsports.com/setups.asp[/link]

If you run a brushed motor, you have the choice of using either ESC or micro-switch set-up. If you run a BL motor, you'll probably be limited to using a controller.

Good luck. Have fun.

AC
Old 12-21-2007, 10:24 PM
snellemin

Very true AC. The controller becomes the limiting factor when it comes to brushless dragracing.