Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Tamiya TA-05 v.2 help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 07:22 PM
saer_x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya TA-05 v.2 help

Hello evryone and thank you in advanced for your help.
I'm new at this and i'm interesting in getting a drift car and start going side ways
I'm thinking on getting a tamiya TA05 V.2 as my first drift car.
My questions are, what updgrades should i make right out of the box (only if it is neccesary)?
if the tamiya TA05 v.2 a good chassis to start?
and what electronics whould you recommend me?

Thanks for your time and help.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:17 PM
kstmRYD

Default RE: Tamiya TA-05 v.2 help

if you are not afraid to build...go for the eagle racing GTR version of the TA05...this kit is awesome...I built two of them already. You start off with the conversion kit at 96.00 buck...get the bulkheads, and suspension arm kit, front oneway and rear spool and you have one nasty drifter.

this site has all you need to build this carbon fibre and alloy chassis. http://broadtechonlineshop.com/eagle...aspx?id=3860V2 If you want to counter steer it you can buy the CS kits there too. Drop in the Novak Slyder which is discontinued in the US but it's available at the same site.

Once you finish with this kit you will have a high end drift chassis, not only does it perform it is beautiful to look at. Here is the last one I just built.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:27 AM
saer_x

Hey, thanks for your response.
I'm interesting in follow your suggestion on building a chassis. I think building a chassis is the fun part about getting in the hobby. Now, what other part do i need beside the Eagle racing GTR conversion kit. I know you mention "get the bulkheads, and suspension arm kit, front oneway and rear spool and you have one nasty drifter", but I will appreciate if you can give me the links like you did with the conversion kit. it will be really helpful for me. Also, since i knew at this hobby, can u recommend me some electronics for the chassis. I will appreciate your response and thanks for taking the time to answer to the post.

sincerely Saer_x
Old 01-08-2012, 05:49 AM
kstmRYD

Like I mentioned before this conversion kit was designed to use along with an existing TA05. You use parts from the TA05, so since you don't have a TA05 for donor parts you will have to buy them separate. Just a fair warning if it is your first build from scratch you will run into some snags in the middle of your build like needed clips or shims or part. For some guys this will be more than they want to get into, if you're up to it then God speed. If not you can go another route, R2Hobbies has a similar chassis and all you have to do is build it...I've seen this chassis in action...it drifts great and the quality is very good.

Here is the link: http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddet...od=rcve4501001

For electronics I highly recommend the Novak Slyder 8.5, this is one of the best performing brushless systems I have used and believe me I have used several. This system is designed for drifting...it has a super smooth throttle curve...it will accelerate and decelerate super smoothly. I use it on polished concrete where a smooth throttle curve is crucial and it performs flawlessly.

I use spektrum receiver and radios, I just bought a new one (Dx3) so I can control my 4 different chassis with, my other model the Dx2 http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodId=SPM20200 only controls two. I also have used Futaba for years, I have a brand new PL3 radio/reciever http://www.futaba-rc.com/systems/futk1300.html in the box never used... I bought it for a chassis I put together but never used it, I wound up using the Spektrum Dx3.0. For steer servo I use HiTech...they have served me well with tons of trouble free hours of drifting.

I'm not your occassional drifter...I put a lot of hours on the track and the above equipment has held up well under the type of use I put on them so I recommend them for reliability. There are less costley items that I'm sure others can vouch for...but these are the items I use and can recommend.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:18 PM
saer_x

Hey, thanks for your response and your recommendations. I guess, I'll start by getting the Tamiya TA05 V.2 and make my way from there. Also, thanks for the electronics suggestions. My budget is not thst big so I'll have to look for some affordable electronis before i get the more realible electonics that you suggested. If you have more recommendations for me, feel free to let me know.

I'm sure ill run into some problems building the chassis and unpgrading it, hope i can with your help in the future.

Thanks for your time and your help is appreciated.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:27 AM
jmillz82

hey sear x check out my W.I.P TA05 ver2 type R. i also want to get the eagle kit. i have been itching to drift it but i still need to get the electronics and conversion kit. for now i have my tb 02.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:04 AM
kstmRYD

coming along nicely!!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 AM
ichibansf

I just ordered the Eagle kit last night and was wondering what belt do I need for CS? Along with my GRT kit I ordered the 32Tdiff pulley for rear and 24T center rear pulley, which according to the eagle site would give me 1.5 CS ratio. Anybody know which belt I should look for to get this working? Also how long does it usually take for them to ship to USA?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:14 AM
kstmRYD

you should have ordered the complete CS kit...comes with pulleys and belts. But you may not have to order belts since you are going with a bigger center rear pulley and smaller rear pulley it just may even out...the adjustment cam just might give you the adjustment you need with the original belt. A good item to order to is a belt tensioner, if the belts are too loose you can always adjust with the tensioner as well.

Did you order adjustment cams? if not you will need to order Tamiya bulkhead parts tree for the adjustment cams...the GRT kit does not include those as well as the suspension mounts front and rear as well. On your question if you ordered from broadtech.hk it usually take 3-4 day for me to get my stuff, I'm in NYC
Old 02-01-2012, 11:17 AM
kstmRYD

ORIGINAL: saer_x

Hey, thanks for your response and your recommendations. I guess, I'll start by getting the Tamiya TA05 V.2 and make my way from there. Also, thanks for the electronics suggestions. My budget is not thst big so I'll have to look for some affordable electronis before i get the more realible electonics that you suggested. If you have more recommendations for me, feel free to let me know.

I'm sure ill run into some problems building the chassis and unpgrading it, hope i can with your help in the future. [img][/img]

Thanks for your time and your help is appreciated.

If you haven't bought a chassis yet...I have a Tamiya TA05 ver.II... spankin brand new! with mild hop ups. Never even seen the floor! Futaba 3PL-2.4Ghz rx/tx brand new! Eagle Racing 60gram Servo brand new! Eagle Racing Shocks new as well, every part is new. The only used parts are the Castle Creation Side Winder and 5700Kv motor. Lots of brand new spare parts come with it too...bulkheads, hubs, wheels... a new set of Raikou D68 tires.. once you use these you will forget about ABS...virtually indestructible

I put in a front one way - rear solid spool - high angle 46mm CVD's and alloy C hubs and Eagle Racing shocks with 3 different spring sets (red,green,blue) and front alloy bulkheads. All manuals and booklets for chassis, ESC/Motor and Radio come with it. The Futaba system alone is still new in the box.

I'm not parting it out...whole thing goes as one!

$285.00 shipped[/size] great price for chassis, all electronics, radio, esc and motor! on top of that shipped... a steal!

If you want to counter steer it has a 39T pulley in front... all it needs is a 16T front center and 22T front rear with a 36T pulley on rear spool and you have 1.5CS or
40T/16T front and 22T/30T rear and you have 1.8CS...ratios are endless or you can just leave it as is if your new to drifting

RAIKOU D68 TIRES

Eagle Racing 46mm high angle CVD's installed with alloy C hub that gives it plenty of clearance for wild steering mods.

FUTABA 3PL Rx/Tx spankin brand new in the box...never ever used!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:34 AM
kstmRYD

@ jmillz82...I noticed your location is Newark NJ, I drift with a Team based in NJ "Toxic Drift"...a new one to the drift scene has extended an invitation to come out and drift in Montclair NJ in a gymnasium. A couple of us are going out to support him. You might be interested....

We are going to be at the Salvation Army Corps. Community Center 13 Trinity Place, Montclair NJ tommorro Thursday Feb 2nd from 6:30pm to 10:00...it's indoors...nice floor and no cost...you are welcome to come out!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM
ichibansf

Oh, I thought the CS kit was only for the VDF. 3803V3? It says "Note: It cant use for #3860V2 TA05 Drift GRT Chassis Set" Can you give me the part numbers for the CS kit and belt tensioner? I thought the grt conversion came with a belt tensioner.

The adjustment cams, are they the plastic pieces that the F & R diffs are sitting between? You rotate the ring to slightly adjust belt slackage? My car is a TA05v2 and it does have attachment points for the F & R shock towers on the bulkheads. Or are you referring to those? *just looked at car* The front bulkhead has no where to mount the shock towers because of the IFS suspension. That's what you're talking about I believe. Should have ordered the fancy AL bulkheads! *just looked in box* Looks like there's an extra rear bulkhead in the kit. No need to look for that part!

Checked Japan EMS and the kit has left Japan. Just hope customs doesn't sit on it too long. Thanks for the help!

ORIGINAL: kstmRYD

you should have ordered the complete CS kit...comes with pulleys and belts. But you may not have to order belts since you are going with a bigger center rear pulley and smaller rear pulley it just may even out...the adjustment cam just might give you the adjustment you need with the original belt. A good item to order to is a belt tensioner, if the belts are too loose you can always adjust with the tensioner as well.

Did you order adjustment cams? if not you will need to order Tamiya bulkhead parts tree for the adjustment cams...the GRT kit does not include those as well as the suspension mounts front and rear as well. On your question if you ordered from broadtech.hk it usually take 3-4 day for me to get my stuff, I'm in NYC
Old 02-01-2012, 10:32 PM
jmillz82

kstmryd i can't believe your selling that chassis for that cheap. That is a steal! i would pick it up if i didn't have my ta05. I would love to meet up you guys in monclair but i work in the evenings. I have heard of you guys before based out of jersey right? i have been in the hobby since april when i saw the wall of death video on youtube and a couple others, i just jumped right in. I havent drifted my tb02 since the cold weather came in. i feel all sorts of rusty. where do you guys meet/ drift?  i'll come down and drift with you guys.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:50 AM
kstmRYD

jmillz82 - Yeah I slide with Toxic Drift from NJ...we are sponsored by Raikou Drift Tires. We meet with teams from the Bronx, Staten Island and other places...we have been meeting for several years now...we have a track at Staten Island on the beach...great spot in the summer. During the winter on Sundays we have an indoor spot in New Rochelle. In nice weather we also meet at Jackson NJ in an outdoor track too, we hold comps there.

If you want to meet up we post our meets on two forums... http://www.hyperdrift.com/forum/view...hp?f=51&t=7445 and a new forum we are supporting http://www.blacksununlimited.com/for...forum.php?f=15. Sign on to hyperdrift and blacksun and check the new york city section. We also setup demos at car shows and events...this month a bunch of us are going to Motorama which is a huge RC event in Harrisburg PA...we are introducing drifting for the first time in that show and we are doing an RC show in the Meadowlands I think it's on the 22nd this month.

So you are welcomed to come out...we have a lot of veteran drifters and a couple of new guys too...bunch of nice guys just having a good time.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:36 AM
kstmRYD

ichibansf - do you have a "Tamiya" TA05 ver.2 chassis already? if so you use the bulkheads, suspension mounts, bearings and screws from that car on the GRT kit. If you don't have the TA05 then you will need to buy a couple of items for the GRT Conv Kit.

On the belt question...I bought the 3803V3 CS kit...if I remember the belts were a bit too long so I think I used a smaller belt from my inventory of stuff I have...I need to look at the chassis...I'll check it and get back too you. The reason for extra belt tensioner in addition to the ones the GRT brings is to make longer belts work instead of getting shorter belts, you can add the extra tensioner on the upper deck with a pulley and make just about any belt work, this comes in handy for me if I break a belt in a comp or demo I can easily use different size belts and make them work.

On the cam question....the cams you need are figure A2 they will fit right into the alloy bulkheads if you go that route. If you order the alloy bulkheads you need to order two rear ones (3553), that's right "two rear" so you can mount the shock tower on the front bulkhead, they are reversable.

Like I mentioned above...if you have the Plastic Tamiya TA05 Ver.2 car you will use a bunch of parts from it.....if you don't have one then you will need a couple of parts for the GRT like bearing set, screw and spacer kit, universal shafts for front and rear, suspension mounts front and rear and wheel adaptor hexes so you can put wheels on it!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:13 PM
ichibansf

kstmRYD - I have a TA05v2 (Cusco WRX). Just trying to take it to the next level w/o selling an arm/leg for the VDF. Since my kit came with the whole A-parts tree I've got an extra rear bulkhead. The belt tensioner is out of stock @ Broadtech. I'll try the belts I have with the pulleys and see if I can get some CSaction.

ichibansf - do you have a "Tamiya" TA05 ver.2 chassis already? if so you use the bulkheads, suspension mounts, bearings and screws from that car on the GRT kit. If you don't have the TA05 then you will need to buy a couple of items for the GRT Conv Kit.

On the belt question...I bought the 3803V3 CS kit...if I remember the belts were a bit too long so I think I used a smaller belt from my inventory of stuff I have...I need to look at the chassis...I'll check it and get back too you. The reason for extra belt tensioner in addition to the ones the GRT brings is to make longer belts work instead of getting shorter belts, you can add the extra tensioner on the upper deck with a pulley and make just about any belt work, this comes in handy for me if I break a belt in a comp or demo I can easily use different size belts and make them work.

On the cam question....the cams you need are figure A2 they will fit right into the alloy bulkheads if you go that route. If you order the alloy bulkheads you need to order two rear ones (3553), that's right "two rear" so you can mount the shock tower on the front bulkhead, they are reversable.

Like I mentioned above...if you have the Plastic Tamiya TA05 Ver.2 car you will use a bunch of parts from it.....if you don't have one then you will need a couple of parts for the GRT like bearing set, screw and spacer kit, universal shafts for front and rear, suspension mounts front and rear and wheel adaptor hexes so you can put wheels on it!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:00 AM
kstmRYD

OK cool...you should be able to put this conversion together nicely then.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:23 PM
ichibansf

Yup, so I hope. Cheers!

OK cool...you should be able to put this conversion together nicely then.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 AM
ichibansf

The transformation is going along well. Only wish that they had better pictures/diagrams like the Tamiya instructions. Doesn't help that everything is in Japanese! LOL It looks awkward with the stock plastic bulkhead assemblies. Need to get the matching blue AL ones once I figure out if I want more than 1.5 CS.
kstmRYD I noticed on your setup you didn't mount the tensioner for the rear belt in the stock adjustable location on the motor mount. Was this to get the more tension? How much tension should there be with the stock belts? Same as on the TA05? Also I noticed you had a lock collar next to the rear center pulley. Is that to prevent movement of the rod?

Here's a pic out of the box:

TA05v2 right before I took it all apart for the donor parts & screws

Old 02-12-2012, 12:48 PM
dbigfoot111

If you haven't bought a chassis yet...I have a Tamiya TA05 ver.II... spankin brand new! with mild hop ups. Never even seen the floor! Futaba 3PL-2.4Ghz rx/tx brand new! Eagle Racing 60gram Servo brand new! Eagle Racing Shocks new as well, every part is new. The only used parts are the Castle Creation Side Winder and 5700Kv motor. Lots of brand new spare parts come with it too...bulkheads, hubs, wheels... a new set of Raikou D68 tires.. once you use these you will forget about ABS...virtually indestructible

I put in a front one way - rear solid spool - high angle 46mm CVD's and alloy C hubs and Eagle Racing shocks with 3 different spring sets (red,green,blue) and front alloy bulkheads. All manuals and booklets for chassis, ESC/Motor and Radio come with it. The Futaba system alone is still new in the box.

I'm not parting it out...whole thing goes as one!

$285.00 shipped[/size] great price for chassis, all electronics, radio, esc and motor! on top of that shipped... a steal!

Please check your PM i'm interested
Old 02-13-2012, 02:45 PM
dbigfoot111

check your PM please
Old 02-14-2012, 10:34 AM
kstmRYD

@ ichibansf - it's looking good! on your question about the tensioner by the motor... I put this as close to the center pulley because as the belt wraps around the bottom of the center pulley and up over the tensioner it creates a 90deg bend. This bend creates a little bit of drag in the drive line. I don't want my chassis to roll effortlessly, I want it to decelerate like if I were in a low gear, the more bends the more the drag effect...belt driven yokomos apply this in their designs. This helps me to enter a turn...flick the steering...and into a controlled slide...flick the steering in the other direction and swing the car into an opposite slide, I need this effect for the very tight multi S curve track layouts I drift on.

Belt tension? just enough tension so that when you throttle on and off, the longest run of the belt does not bounce up or down more than 1/4 inch. A lot of guys over tighten them like guitar strings...don't play that tune...give her a little slack and she'll last a long time.

The lock collar...yes that is to keep the play in check. Remember to thread lock any screws going into aluminum...and get yourself some raikou's D68 and DXPE and you'll be good to go!