Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

Noob needs advice on first rc drift car

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Noob needs advice on first rc drift car

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 12:48 PM
Griffdogg19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob needs advice on first rc drift car

I am brand new to the rc drift cars and really hoping for some good advice on my first drift car. I've been all over the forums checking out the setups and I must say I'm pretty overwhelmed. My budget is about $400, and i would like a kit that I can build myself. That's where the confusion comes in, so many different choices. Can anybody recommend a good starting kit for my price range? I'm not looking for competition stuff yet, but want a good setup that I can upgrade later. I will mostly use it outside on and maybe a little indoor stuff. Where should I start? What website is the best?
Old 02-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Griffdogg19

I found this online... http://www.rcmart.com/3racing-sakura...3-p-35278.html, looks like a pretty good deal, I'm a little worried about the CS, being a first time drifter. Is it really that hard to learn? And any suggestion on getting some power to this chassis?
Old 02-03-2014, 04:04 PM
R32GolfTA06

Hi the Sakura d3 cs requires a lot of money spent on it to upgrade it to make it even a good starting chassis to drift. It isn't a very easy chassis to set up even when you know what you are doing and with the high cs ratio with be very unstable and hard to control for a complete novice. You would be much better to go for the tamiya ta06 pro chassis or the ta05 pro drift chassis, these chassis's are very well balanced, much easier to control and easier to work on and set up even straight out of the box, but if you did want to upgrade.. Many parts are available.. The biggest thing to remember with drifting is not to over power the chassis with a fast motor as it is all about being slower and more controlled. Also go brushless sensored so it is a nice smooth speed and don't go much lower than a 17.5t motor. A motor that is too fast with have a more sensitive throttle and a narrower top end curve and will make your loose control easily, you will find yourself constantly have to adjust your steering and throttle excessively and never achieve a constant steady drift.

Last edited by R32GolfTA06; 02-03-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Griffdogg19

Thanks for your response! I had a feeling I was jumping the gun going for that chassis. I'll take your advice and stick with the ta06 or ta05
Old 02-09-2014, 03:26 PM
R32GolfTA06

That's a good choice, see my comments in your other first thread re your set up choices
Old 02-01-2016, 01:43 PM
SG08

hi, new to this rc drifting scene
what would you guys suggest, the maverick or banzai rc?
manythanks
Old 02-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Rocket-J
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am only a month newer than you.

I got a ton of advice form everyone here. I still am getting advice.
I went to my local Drift Track and was very surprised. It is carpet and about 2.5' wide. I could barely drive around it, never mind drift on it. The cars were mostly rear wheel drive and went so slow. I mean 2 feet per second slow. Really slow. Just too boring for me. As tiny as the track was and as slow as they go I would never last in that kind of drifting.
They were very good at it. Just not for me.
Until I learn more, I am having a ball, out in the parking lot, sliding around some been bags at a faster pace.
I recommend starting out cheap Ready To Run car that you can learn to drive with and have fun or you won't last too long. Look at the videos on the Madspeed Driftking. The brushless RTR will be set up right out of the box. Not for slow competition but for fast fun. Contrary to all the out of date post here, there are a lot of metal updates available. The parent company is
HSP, I think it is. They have parts that fit the Madspeed too. You can do a bunch of stuff and stay under your budget and have fun. I bought a locking rear differential and a oneway front diff. I bought another body and 4 sets of wheels. My 2000mh battery last 20 minutes of hard running. I just bought a Lipo but haven't used it yet.
Good luck.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:42 AM
SG08

thank you for reply Rocket-J

I am looking at using an indoor track, and getting into it.
as I am new to this would people recommend the maverick strada dc? I want one for less than £200 really. I will be using it on a track (carpet) and outdoor too
thanks in advance
Old 02-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Rocket-J
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know nothing about the Maverick Strada dc1. I can give you no advice there.
I do know that you cannot use outdoor tires on a carpet. Carpet tire must be very smooth. The ones I made from 2" abs black pipe worked great on the carpet and were very cheap.
Out doors, concrete and asphalt will make your tires very rough and give too much traction on a carpet surface.
Good luck and have fun.