Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

Before posting, READ this, it MIGHT answer a question

Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Before posting, READ this, it MIGHT answer a question

Old 06-28-2004, 01:09 PM
HPIRS4-3SS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before posting, READ this, it MIGHT answer a question

All these questions have been asked alot, so i figured I would put answers so you dont have to post them AGAIN.

1. Every car can drift, even nitro

2. You can change the body, you dont have to buy a car just because it is the body you like.

3. You can drift with a 2wd, 4wd is just easier to drift with

4. A high turn motor is good for drifting

5. You dont need to buy tires for drifting, use PVC or ABS for tires. Use 2" diameter, if its dosent fit wrap electrical tape to make it tight.

If you want to add more go ahead, i might have forgotten some......
Old 06-28-2004, 02:07 PM
rc@hockey

Default RE: Before posting, READ this, it MIGHT answer a question

FINALLY THIS IS AWESOME! some good (LOL) questions
Nitro and Electric cars are both good drifters
andrew
Old 08-26-2005, 09:58 PM
RunninGag

bump
Old 11-08-2005, 06:57 PM
mikewoodkozar

A Little on TT-01's

TT-01 is a model of 4 wheel drive shaft driven chassis made by Tamiya

Every TT-01 is the same, it rolls out of the factory in a few different forms, but most of all it is the same. The most popular ones are the kits (you have to build it! and comes wth several different body choices, but its all the same) and the XB series (its prebuilt and usually RTR-meaning it comes ready to run). Although you may need a 7.2v battery pack and AA's for the transmitter.

I hear there is going to be a drift kit comng out very soon. It will probably be called the TT-01D or TT-01 drift or something to that effect.

The TT-01 chassis is standard tourig car width of 190mm meaning it fits any body that is 190mm. But if you dish the wheels or add a wheel set with a 5mm or more offset you can mount the 200mm bodies.

The stock motor that comes with the TT-01 is fine for drifting. But other popular motors for drifting are usually "stock class motors". This doesnt mean they are motors that come with the kit. This means they are any 27 turn motor. Like the Trinity P2K, the P2K2, Epic stock, Fantom Stock and on and on.

The TT-01 really could use a few upgrades that will help overall performance that is not limited to drifting.

1. Bearings
2. Oil filled shocks
3. A good ESC if your kit came with an MSC (mechanical speed control)
4. Aluminum drive shaft
5. Metal motor mount

Now there are about a gazillion more upgrades out there for the TT-01, but these really will help out performance and increase run time.

And finally drift tires, you can buy them premade in ABS form, get them from Tamiya, get them from Yokomo, or cut your own out of 2' inner diameter ABS (preferred) or PVC pipe. Truly the best / easiest / cheapest method is cutting your own out of ABS.

Is the TT-01 fast? Well i will say that it can be. Drifting and super fast really dont usually mix well. Think of this: Your car traveling very fast carrying forward momentum with low traction tires and an unexpected hazard ahead. What happens if you need to stop in a hurry? Well you cant, you crash. Just a thought.

When i say it can be fast its kind of a trade off. Good motors for drifting are high turn and high torque and most of the time this means lower rpm's which translates into not real fast top speeds. So the opposite is true for low turn high rpm motors, sure they will make the TT-01 scary fast , but it might not have the torque to drift very well.

The TT-01 is a great entry level touring car, and a wonderful car for drifting. And lets face it the TT-01 was never designed for touring car greatness, and you will probably never see a TT-01 winning a large scale touring car race, unless its a Tamiya class or TT-01 class race. So why choose the TT-01? Well like i said its a great entry level car, its shaft driven, fairly inexpensive and really drifitng is all about a slick looking body, tight controlled drifts and driving skill.

i hope this helps out a few of you new guys.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:15 AM
chicoRC

Thanx for the all info, i found your post very helpful in my decision to buy a TT-01 based car.

This is it right here:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P=0#otheritems
Old 01-07-2006, 05:28 AM
mariodx3

Hey now, I just made me a HPI rs4 micro drifting car. This thing is the best car for drifting for me. I put in a Castle Creations Mamba Comp X brushless 1/18th scale power plante with a 3 cell lipo battery. WoW talk about in sane drifting and a long run time (45mins). Hey its just hands down the best. The car was 49.00 for the kit, The mamba was 99.99, and I put in my spektrum dx3 that was 199.00 but I had it already so this car only cost me about 160.00 bucks with tax. Not Bad...... I got a pic of my car on my profile
Old 01-07-2006, 06:15 AM
RC-Drift UK

This thread has very quickly diluted from the original thread

If you have something different/special, start your own thread, this is supposed to be for rc drift noobs

(sorry for sounding like a forum mod [sm=tired.gif])
Old 01-24-2006, 08:30 AM
RC-Drift UK

ABS is NOT the same as PVC!...it's not even the same material

ABS is a styrene and softer than PVC
PVC is a vinyl and is harder than ABS
PE is an ethylene and is softer than ABS or PVC but has long life like ABS
Tape is best on uber smooth surfaces like carpet
Rubber is best when aiming for the high speed entries and tyre squealing...rubber is available in many types of compound/hardness
Foam is best on uber smooth surfaces like carpet...foam is available in many types of compound/hardness

Balance the cars handling with small stickon lead weights on the chassis from your local garage...add weight to the loose end

High turn motors have more torque but lower revs than low turn motors...use high turn for plastic tyres, low turn for rubber/high speed drifting

Setup the steering to have as much steering angle as possible...play with the different mounting holes in the steering components

Toe-in adds stability but slightly reduces top end speed (not important for us)

Diff locking is a great way to keep your car under control for those higher speed drifts...this can be done by different methods:
1. with thicker oil in geared diffs (or other substance like blutac, plasticine, paper....)
2. remove the balls in a ball diff and place composite washers either side of the diff gear
3. just crank on the diff screw to tighten it up
4. use a slipper diff (similar to 2. above)
Old 02-12-2006, 05:17 PM
rcmonkey

hey sorta new to this im running a really old thunder tiger electric on road....thing with a team orion 19t stock would i need to any thing to it to drift
(part from the obvious tires)
[&:]
any help would be much apretiated
Old 02-16-2006, 10:02 AM
RC-Drift UK

This is an FAQ thread dude, try posting the question elsewhere or start your own thread
Old 02-16-2006, 03:28 PM
psychorevo

Wal Mart and Toys R Us don't sell hobby level drift RCs
Old 02-16-2006, 05:03 PM
RC-Drift UK

Huh??????

[FAQ] [Go to first unread post] Before posting, READ this, it MIGHT answer a question
Old 02-16-2006, 11:23 PM
htko86

ORIGINAL: RC-Drift UK

This thread has very quickly diluted from the original thread

If you have something different/special, start your own thread, this is supposed to be for rc drift noobs

(sorry for sounding like a forum mod [sm=tired.gif])
hi,...im a drift noob and wanna ask about RC drifting cars,...i mean,...i read above about the TT-01 and stuff,..but im a REAL noob ,..hehe,..so i also dont know much about RC cars,....well,...if some1 could say about the money u need,...stuffs u need to know,..etc. it would be really appreciated
thx

*i just got excited coz i saw an SG drift video hehe
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...800111239&q=SG
Old 02-24-2006, 06:38 PM
NewbDrifter

i gotta question.. i got some tires and rims and there glued how would i get them off can someone help plz
Old 03-02-2006, 05:15 PM
RC-Drift UK

Cut the tyre off, then get a pair of long nose pliers and roll the tyre off, clean the wheel with a ******* file

...that's the way I prefer, but you can try boiling it, soaking in solvent or glue removing solution

(the type of file will probably be swear filtered out but it's the roughest file in the set and the name I used is the generic name for it - just hit quote and you'll see the name)
Old 04-15-2006, 10:48 PM
foxboy308

so i just go to home depot and say "hey i need some a-b-s..."?

edit: nvm i got some i understand now
Old 04-25-2006, 04:00 AM
RC-Drift UK

Other setup info:

For plastic tyres use 0° camber all round, for rubber try 2-4° all round

For plastic tyres use the softest front springs you can get hold of and slighly stiffer rears, for rubber try kit (harder) springs

Shock oil isn't critical as grip racing so 30wt should do

For plastic tyres use a stock motor (19-27T) with stock gearing, for rubber tyres try 12-19T motor

Kev
Old 05-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Steve108
My Feedback: (36)

I know what drifting is but what is grip racing? Is it just conventional racing?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Neon_guy

ORIGINAL: Steve108

what is grip racing? Is it just conventional racing?
Yep
Old 05-31-2006, 10:57 PM
spoon-kahoon

so letme get this straight.....the higher turns on a motor the better for drifting? wuts the highiest i could put in my car to drift? and if the higher the turns the more torque, is there such thing as too much torque or a motor with to many turns?[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 06-09-2006, 05:35 AM
RC-Drift UK

No such thing as too much torque, after that it's down to your thumbs (or fingers if you use steerwheel)

Realistically a 30T would be starting to get a tad slow so aim at something around the 19-27T range

Kev
Old 06-16-2006, 10:18 PM
slappytheclown

thanx alot guys you've answered alot of my questions and ive been lookin at cars and ive heard alot abot the TT-01 and the different versions but what about the trinity t-spec. i mean it comes with everything except the ESC and radio and it has all the essentials (i.e. full ball bearings, aluminum driveshaft, 21 turn motor, oil filled shocks, and aluminum heatsink motor mount) so why hasnt anybosy mentioned it?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:40 PM
driftdriftdrift
My Feedback: (1)

yeah the t-spec is decent but my rear diff has eaten my drive pinion. i used to love my t-spec but now its. if trinity made some better gears it would be okay. the drive pinion plastic is just too soft
Old 06-16-2006, 11:50 PM
slappytheclown

oh ok
good to know
but would you say its a better buy than the TT-01?
Old 06-17-2006, 12:21 AM
driftdriftdrift
My Feedback: (1)

the t-spec is decent but there is no aftermarket program for it. so basically you cant upgrade it. it comes with adjustable camber, bearings, alumn driveshaft, ball diffs etc. i feel that the tt-01 would be a better buy though you would have to throw down some cash for upgrades at least there are upgrades for it. tamiya has some of the best quality cars, while trinity is known for their motors and batteries(EPIC/Trinity)

so yes i would say that the tt-01 would be better but go with the tt-01R. it comes with alot of upgrades. the t-spec is better in spec racing when you actually use it for its design, while i feel that the tt-01 is more of a all purpose.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.