Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Drift Tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 05:29 PM
lightningtwo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drift Tips

I am a noob to drifting and it lks c[:-][:-]l. So my Q's are:

1)Will my car drift (as far as I know it's only 1 gear, could be wrong[&:])
2)How do you drift
3)Tips on improving your drift

The closest I've ever done is stiffening up the springs and doing donuts with one wheel off of the ground

So can anyone help?

Car :
||
||
\/
Old 01-20-2005, 09:28 PM
GMdrifter

Default RE: Drift Tips

first of all you need an All wheel drive car to drift. It is extremely difficult to drift with rearwheel drive because you just spin out all the time. basicly any car can drift with the right equipment. If you have a touring car with 26 mm wheels then you need to find some 2" abs or pvc for the wheels. If they're not 24 or 26 mm then you'll have to bring them with you to your local hardware store and size em up. The store will cut them for you too. ABS is preffered because it is black in color and is a spfter compound so it gets a little more grip and is less harsh on the suspension. Once you get the ABS rings you should round off the edges with a file or grinder then glue them to a spare set of wheels. If they fit tight then you might not need glue. Now you're ready to drift.

-Remember when you are out there driftig for the first time use a big open space as you may not have very good control.
-Always remember to be very light on the throttle.
- remember to counter steer slightly once your in the drift to keep from spinning out.
-GOOD LUCK!
Old 01-20-2005, 09:49 PM
monkeypunk101

Once you get the ABS rings you should round off the edges with a file or grinder
Is that so it can slide to the sides more easier
Old 01-20-2005, 09:50 PM
cssdev

ORIGINAL: monkeypunk101

Once you get the ABS rings you should round off the edges with a file or grinder
Is that so it can slide to the sides more easier
No, it's just to provide more realistic looking tires. If you really want them to look nice you'd run them through a lathe.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:52 PM
monkeypunk101

what is a lathe
Old 01-20-2005, 09:55 PM
cssdev

A lathe is a tool/machine that you put wood, metal, or other materals in depending on what kind of lathe. It spins the material around so you can use bits to shape it, mold it, carve it....

Old 01-20-2005, 10:02 PM
monkeypunk101

oh i know what it is but i never knew what it was called, i also wanted to wat do u have to do to take off the ABS, do you just pull it off or do u have to buy a whole new wheel
Old 01-20-2005, 10:06 PM
cssdev

ORIGINAL: monkeypunk101

oh i know what it is but i never knew what it was called, i also wanted to wat do u have to do to take off the ABS, do you just pull it off or do u have to buy a whole new wheel
Depending on if you have chrome wheels or not, you can put them in boiling water to degrade the glue and you can get them off then. That or do what i did and only glue the inner edge of the rim ( the edge next to the chassis ) that way when they wear out you can just pull off the rest and replace with some new.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:38 AM
WhiskyVR-4

I round-off the edges of the abs because it helps prevent snags on irregularities in the pavement. I don't glue the abs, I just wrap the wheel with a little electrical tape and it makes a snug fit. When they wear down too far, I pull them off and throw new ones on
Old 01-21-2005, 12:03 PM
cssdev

Nice i'll have to try that next time my abs wears out.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:07 PM
lightningtwo

Thanx guys. My car is off-road (Lightning 2 RR [8D] [RTR]) and I'm hoping to get the right tyres for drifting[sm=stupid.gif]. The local BMX track has a great bend that is kind of like the ones from Nascar and there is a flat space. What type of surface would be better? BMX is sand/stones/mud (after its rained[sm=drowning.gif]) etc.

PS. My car is AWD/4WD[8D]
Old 01-25-2005, 03:16 PM
GMdrifter

cement or black top is the best surface for drifting but packed dirt might be good too. never tried it.
Might start a new thing. Off road drifting. I personally drift my stadium truck
Old 01-25-2005, 03:19 PM
cssdev

ORIGINAL: GMdrifter

cement or black top is the best surface for drifting but packed dirt might be good too. never tried it.
Might start a new thing. Off road drifting. I personally drift my stadium truck
It's been around for ages, also known as rally racing. Also the baja trucks that race in the desert get sideways during highspeed turns, which would be somewhat what your stadium truck is simulating.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:27 PM
chevydude

I started drifting this very night with the help of mt tamiya TL01 and a roll of electrical tape. how much less traction am i going to get with ABS/PVC tires? also, the car is tweaked massively. it drifts well going left but spins out at the mere thought of going right. I think it's because of the weight distribution... motor being on the left, it adds weight and thus grip to those wheels how and where can i add weight to even this out?
Old 01-28-2005, 01:12 AM
WhiskyVR-4

ORIGINAL: chevydude

I started drifting this very night with the help of mt tamiya TL01 and a roll of electrical tape. how much less traction am i going to get with ABS/PVC tires? also, the car is tweaked massively. it drifts well going left but spins out at the mere thought of going right. I think it's because of the weight distribution... motor being on the left, it adds weight and thus grip to those wheels how and where can i add weight to even this out?

ABS is far less grip than taped tires. Try it, its fun.

I would overhaul the diffs and check for unequal suspension settings. To rule out damper issues I would drain them all and run them dry (well, mostly dry, put a little in there to lube the o-rings). See how you like running dry, some people love it (I prefer a very light oil, but dry works too). Also make sure your car is as square as possible (ride height equal, spring preload equal, camber/toe setting stock). If you still have issues maybe we can think of something else to help you, but overhaul the diffs and square it up, that should help some.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:16 PM
chevydude

I locked my diffs because no amount of grease could help. I had 50,000 weight grease in them, no help at all. I can pretty much rule out unequal suspension because it's friction damped, and the stock springs i have on there are still the same length.