Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

Initiate The Slide : The Art Of Drifting

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Initiate The Slide : The Art Of Drifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 12:42 PM
FeintMotion
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Initiate The Slide : The Art Of Drifting

ORIGINAL: ROYjovero

ORIGINAL: FeintMotion

Man, this post has shown me that most of you here dont know anything about drifting.
LOL. How many of those techniques actually apply to RC drifting?
LOL really.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Ryan11

hehe all you need to drift is a nitro buggy with worn out tyres and a wet road xD My tyres are worn down that much that theyre slicks. When its dry they stick to the road very well! But the slightest drop of water and theyre drift tyres :P as for the 2wd/4wd battle, yea its probably easier with 4wd but it doesnt mater you can drift with any. Ive seen these FWD cars drift around a track. But on nfsu2 its easier to drift the Audi TT (4WD) than the MX5 (RWD) Anyway, if you want some computer practice download: live for speed its a really good game.

Ryan.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:50 AM
Neon_guy

ORIGINAL: Ryan_rammstien

hehe all you need to drift is a nitro buggy with worn out tyres and a wet road xD My tyres are worn down that much that theyre slicks. When its dry they stick to the road very well! But the slightest drop of water and theyre drift tyres :P as for the 2wd/4wd battle, yea its probably easier with 4wd but it doesnt mater you can drift with any. Ive seen these FWD cars drift around a track. But on nfsu2 its easier to drift the Audi TT (4WD) than the MX5 (RWD) Anyway, if you want some computer practice download: live for speed its a really good game.

Ryan.
That ENTIRE statement could be extremely confusing to someone who's trying to figure out anything about drifting. You went from 1:10 to 1:1 to video game in one seemingly effortless flow. The truth of the matter is, they're not interchangeable. And in any realistic game, RWD will drift better than any other setup...just like in real life. The only time 4WD is needed is R/C. And that's the only time 4WD is superior.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:05 PM
iwant240sx

well said neon guy!
Old 05-29-2006, 06:41 PM
Auslide
Banned

Ok Lets seperate Reality from Fiction..

RC Drift: AWD is King

Real Time Drift/PS2/Xbox Game : All Formats can Drift... FF in real Life can be drifted but it takes way more skill to do.
RWD is Way Easiest to drift in Real life ... Just not in RC...

AWD is Neededn to control the slide, Front wheels Pull the Car in the Direction of the Slide while the Rear Wheels try to push the Back Wheels past the front Tyres..

In a RC RWD car there is nothing stoping the back wheels from pushing past the front resulting in a Spin... RC Drifting takes Skill, Tailing out is a different matter altogether..
Old 05-29-2006, 07:41 PM
iwant240sx

actually not to be a jerk..but in real life..ff drifting isnt considered drifting...its also not allowed in d1gp, and any drifter you talk to will tell you that ff istn drifting casue it really isnt well controlled..and a real drifter nevers drives ff
Old 05-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Auslide
Banned

Yes but it still can be done, unlike in the RC world..
Unless you can get a Servo to lock the rear to initiate the Slide..
Old 05-30-2006, 07:46 AM
Neon_guy

In real life, you can't drift a FF well enough to even compete in D1 or Formula D. FF drifts are more so track "accidents". However, they're more purposeful in the sense that if you actually do it on purpose, it will get you through a corner quicker (as drift was initially intended to do). IT's just so difficult to control because of physics.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:46 PM
iwant240sx

well said neon guy
Old 05-31-2006, 08:24 PM
ROYjovero
Banned

Is this discussion seriously headed towards the "FF can't drift" arguement? I will have to disagree. FF's CAN drift. And it's more than what people think of as as****gging. And even though it is not allowed in professional competition, Team Falken continues to exhibit their own FF Drift car, which just so happens to be an EF Civic hatch.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it seems as if this discussion is full of people with opinions, and not fact.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:20 PM
iwant240sx

not to sound like a jerk either...and not to sound like its my opinion...but a fact...that not a true drifter would even consider an FF in their presence...especially a honda...talk to almost any drifter and you will find that they dislike FF and absolutely hate Hondas..true...you can do some as****gging...but thats sort of all it is...i have done my fair share of that in a geo prizm lol...until it got totalled...but in reality if anyone was ever serious about drifting they wouldnt buy a FF to do it. Im not saying that this is my opinion either...i know a few drifters..and was hoping to become one..and i have done research for over a year now..just about every day...*thats just giving the background...im not trying to be a jerk*. and some of the more contemporary techniques used in FR drifting cant be brought over into FF without some damage to components in the car..or higher speeds. Though you may call FF drifting drifting..in the drifting world..its not considered drifting at all. sorry if i came off strong..but thats just what i have gathered and seen.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:05 AM
ROYjovero
Banned

It's funny that you say "true" drifters hate FF cars and Hondas especially. I've seen a couple FF cars drifting up the touge in Japan and in Hawaii. But since it's not popular here stateside, most drift "enthusiasts" will claim the ONLY was to drift is with a RWD chassis.

I've also been to rally school, and it seems funny to me that people claim you CANNOT drift an FF car when you learn to drift an FF chassis without the E-brake in class. Again, I might be mixing opinion and fact, but hey, it's a free country so we can freely speak our minds.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:33 AM
ROYjovero
Banned

Oh here's a little GIF animation avatar thing of the Falken FF Drift car before it was picked up by Team Falken.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:06 AM
Neon_guy

It pretty much comes down to what people are used to seeing. If your interest in drift started after 03, then you'll think that noone likes FF cars for drift and that FF can't drift. Now, those of us that have been into it since, say, late 90's (such as myself) will quickly tell you that not only are there plenty of FF drift cars, but that drift enthusiast like them too. Now, in D1 or Formula D, you can't use them. However, they were (and still are) being used in Japan. And for those of you who DIDN'T know, drifting didn't start out as the specticle it is today. It started out as a togue racing technique. It was a technique that ALL cars used. And if we bring it over to American soil, the same thing will remain true. As a matter of fact, while it was still truly underground out in SOCAL, There were like a BILLION Integras and EF hatches doing it. I mean, a BILLION. That's pretty much all you saw at first. Occassionally, you'd see a FC RX-7 or a 240, but it was mostly Hondas cuz that's what most people had. The 240 didn't really become popular until 01-02. Matter fact, RWD in the mountains didn't become popular until that time. Not because people didn't want to do it, but because people drove what they had. And everybody had Hondas at the time. Super Street even did an article on drifting way back in like 99 or 00 and they did it using BOTH configurations.

Bottom line is this. ANY car can and has drifted. It's called drifting any way you slice it. RWD can do more techniques simply because of physics. And show drifting is COMPLETELY different than race drifting. About as different as 1:1 is from 1:10. There's more to drifting than what most people know. And it's not that you newere guys are wrong. It's just that you don't know about it. That's all. Grab some older Option Videos and Best Motoring videos (stuff from the mid 90's) and you'll see where drifting started. And next time you see an old guy in a Miata, headed towards the mountains, ask him a few questions. I'm sure he knows something about it. Drifting here and in Japan is over 10 years (over 15 in Japan) old. So if you really want to find out about it, you're going to have to do some digging.

Hope that helps you guys out. I wasn't trying to be an ass, I just wanted ot let you guys know since I've been doing it for so long.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:43 PM
iwant240sx

thanks...i feel like ive just been shot down.. .i am only 16 and got into it a year ago so.that is probably why i didnt know some of the stuff..thanks for correcting me....i did know about the roots of drifting and touge..i didnt know that there was frotn weel drive associated with that.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Neon_guy

No worries bro. Don't take it as getting shot down. Just take it as learning something new about something you love. Any person that I can enlighten, I want to. I'd rather you feel shot down by me than informed by Hollywood...cuz Hollywood will stear you wrong EVERY TIME. I'm only hear to help and increase the culture that I love.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:18 PM
ROYjovero
Banned

Well said Neon. I couldn't have put it any better (or more politically correct). I've been into drifting since I was like 11, so that makes it back in 94 or 95? Damn I'm old. LOL.

The MAIN reason you don't see FF cars in pro drift events is due to the fact that they just aren't fast enough mid drift. They can get the insane entry speeds, but without power to the rear wheels to push the car through the exit, a FR/MR car will just run away.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:22 PM
iwant240sx

thanks...you are rite hollywood probably will...and im really kind of pissed that there coming out with this new movie...cause im afraid of prices of FR cars sky rocketing because of kids that want to get into the sport...not that thats a bad thing...but im planning on getting a "real" drift car by the end of the summer if i can...
Old 06-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Neon_guy

ORIGINAL: ROYjovero

Well said Neon. I couldn't have put it any better (or more politically correct). I've been into drifting since I was like 11, so that makes it back in 94 or 95? Damn I'm old. LOL.

The MAIN reason you don't see FF cars in pro drift events is due to the fact that they just aren't fast enough mid drift. They can get the insane entry speeds, but without power to the rear wheels to push the car through the exit, a FR/MR car will just run away.
Thanks. And I'm glad someone else brought in about that FF exit speed. I'm sick of hearing people say you can't drift fast. If you have a fast car, there's nothing stopping you from hitting a corner at 80mph. It's sustaining and coming out of that bad boy that's tricky. And like you said, an FF just can't do it. Well put bro.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:03 PM
ROYjovero
Banned

ORIGINAL: iwant240sx

thanks...you are rite hollywood probably will...and im really kind of pissed that there coming out with this new movie...cause im afraid of prices of FR cars sky rocketing because of kids that want to get into the sport...not that thats a bad thing...but im planning on getting a "real" drift car by the end of the summer if i can...
What makes a "real" drift car? To me, all you need are tires and an engine. As for Tokyo Drift, I don't see how a simple movie will be able to affect American economics. Those who already have modified RWD cars may be able to mark them up for resale, but dealers and other used car lots won't be able to justify a price jump after the premiere of a movie. It just isn't feasible.

ORIGINAL: Neon_guy

Thanks. And I'm glad someone else brought in about that FF exit speed. I'm sick of hearing people say you can't drift fast. If you have a fast car, there's nothing stopping you from hitting a corner at 80mph. It's sustaining and coming out of that bad boy that's tricky. And like you said, an FF just can't do it. Well put bro.
Also, unlike RWD cars, FF cars can attain higher drift angles and come out of them a whole lot easier. It's great to see a true drift enthusiast in here. Hat's off to you bro.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:28 AM
Neon_guy

Thanks Roy. Oh, and think "Iwant240" is talking about just a 1:1 car as opposed to a 1:10 car. No specific model. But most of these cars are bought from private owners nowadays. I've rarely run across a dealer that has the type of cars most drift enthusiast are looking for (unless you've got the dough to get something newer). But, then "fair market value" comes into play, since it's going to be a used car. So, if demand and excitement about these cars, i.e. 240, AE86 Corolla, Miata, RX-7, etc... goes up, legally, the dealer can charge more. And there's really nothing anyone can do about it but pay. And the same goes with private owners. I'll give you an example. Before F&F came out, we could buy an Integra GSR motor and tranny with harness and wiring for about 1g. After the movie it was anywhere from 2500 and up. But, what can you do.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:25 AM
ROYjovero
Banned

Oh how I miss the days of the cheap B18C1 motor. Looks like I'll just have to rebuild mine. LOL.

I wonder if iwant240sx knows his avatar is a picture of an FC3S?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:19 PM
iwant240sx

yes i know the pic is of a fc3s lol...not an fd...i dont like fd's that much..but its an fc3s because i almost got a 1:1 scale one a few months back
Old 06-05-2006, 08:34 PM
weenis boy

you all complain to much
no one cares
just go out there drift and have fun
quit arguing....the starter or this thread
was just trying to help others out....and you
all have to go and ruin it like every thread
i think i speak for most people...shut up with
the negative comments
Old 06-06-2006, 07:51 AM
ROYjovero
Banned

There weren't really many negative comments here. It's just the last couple, well probably the majority of, posts have been a sort of educational discussion about the world of 1:1 drifting. We all know that when it comes down to it, we should all just get out and drift.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.