Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

Initiate The Slide : The Art Of Drifting

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Initiate The Slide : The Art Of Drifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Auslide
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initiate The Slide : The Art Of Drifting

Ok It seems that people are having Trouble drifting..

Here are a Few Helpful Hints to Get you sliding

1. No mater what you have, Be it a Trinity, Tamiya, HBX or HPI.. RC Drift needs an All Wheel Drive layout to slide..Why: Front wheels Guide the Direction of the slide and Pull the car in that Direction while the rears Kick the Tail out...

2. Traction is the Killer of the slide: The more you have the less you slide: PVC and ABS need a Smooth Surface for Best Effect.. Lino,Carpet smooth Concrete and Smooth Asphault or Bichumen are needed.. PVC is like Sliding on Ice and you will need to master car control to Drift with PVC, Easy to initiate, Hard to hold.. The area needs to be fairly Big, a Tennis court is a good size to practice on..

3 Start the Slide.. There are a few Ways.

* Flick Turn: The Scandanavian Flick : Turn the Opposite way to which you want to go for a Split second , turn the Way you want to go and Nail the Controller. This method upsets the Cars Centre of Balance, allowing weight transfer to kick the Tail out..
Holding the slide takes Throttle Control..

*Brake, Turn and Slide, This Method cause the Wheels to lock up breaking traction and allowing the car to kick the Tail out...
You Brake the Car momentarily by releasing the trigger, Turn the direction you want to go and Nailing the Controller..
Same thing applies to hold the slide requires throttle control, Adjusting the amount of Throttle continually to Hold the slide..

High Speed Slide : This one is a little tricky, good for nice open sweepers , You basically Nail the throttle, Turn Sharply, back off the controller, then Nail it again...

Everyone has there own Technique to Sliding.
Needing a Low Turn Brushless Motors for drifting is a Myth, It is Nice, but Not essential..
Locking your Rear Diff can assist in Sliding, Always try a Stock open diff first, if you dont like it or think you need to lock your diff, lock the rear only.. Locking the Front Diff can Cause Understeer Problems, which will limit your ability to slide on Technical or Linking Drift sections.

Shaft Is Prefered for Drift, Not essential but Prefered, Most Drift sessions are held in Carparks or un brushed Surfaces and you will pick up stones, Belt Drives tend to snap Belts whilst drifting unless they are properly sealed.

Some Popular Drift Chassis
Tamiya TT-01(D)
Tamiya TL-01
Tamiya TB-02
Tamiya TA-04
Tamiya TA-05
Tamiya TB-EVO 3,4

HPI RS4
HPI RS4 Stage D
HBX TL-01

Old 04-30-2006, 10:28 AM
RC-Drift UK

Default RE: Initiate The Slide : The Art Of Drifting

I prefer belt to shaft and the belt on my car is years old!

...grip racing puts far more strain on the drivetrain than drifting

Kev
Old 04-30-2006, 11:35 AM
bspate

Good Stuff!!

Thanks, this will help me out!!

- bspate -
Old 04-30-2006, 01:04 PM
AznBash3r
My Feedback: (1)

4wd isnt a MUST. people have had luck with 2wd
Old 04-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Auslide
Banned

I did note you said " Had Luck"

With an AWD Chassis, It has nothing to do with luck..

Old 04-30-2006, 06:42 PM
genki

4wd isnt a MUST. people have had luck with 2wd
Anyone who is into RC Drift n00b or experianced knows that AWD is the shiz. 2WD is cool if you like going around in circles or doing donuts but IMHO that ain't drifting..it is more about skill!
Old 04-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Auslide
Banned

Amen to that ..

There is a Difference between Tailing out... and Holding it there.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:43 AM
hnefrdo

There is also a method called Powerover. It's useful when the enter speed of the turn is not important. Enter the turn at half throttle and full throttle as you turn in to break traction.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

You can drift with belts as well. I was drifting away in my Streetforce today.. till i tore up the rear diff..
Old 05-06-2006, 09:09 PM
AznBash3r

i have actually drifted my nikko ford gt that only goes 20mph and is 2wd.....just gotta have lots of skills with turning and a good setup that prevents spinning out. and dont be callin me a noob, i know what im doing.....
Old 05-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Neon_guy

Consistant and controlled drifts, meaning the ability to repeat the action and/or the technical aspect of drifting is almost impossible with 2WD. Drifting itself can be achieved, but if you were on a course where precision mattered, it'd be impossible to do with 2wd. Again, not saying you can't drift 2WD. Just saying you can't do a lot of the technical aspects of drifting with 2WD. Essentially, you're just sliding really well.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Auslide
Banned

Well Put Neon guy..

Nikko?? Nikko is a Toy RC.. Worse then a Drift King.. at least a Drift king is Designed to drift...

TT-01 Pwns Nikko.. Everytime..
Old 05-07-2006, 10:24 PM
genki

i have actually drifted my nikko ford gt that only goes 20mph and is 2wd.....just gotta have lots of skills with turning and a good setup that prevents spinning out. and dont be callin me a noob, i know what im doing.....
I'm sorry but I didn't call you a n00b but if you feel that way then go right ahead.

As neon guy pointed out you maybe able to drift your "nikko" 2WD but that would only be in a carpark by yourself late at night. In competitive drifting you don't stand a chance..nikko nikko

But then again you know what you are doing?

Nikko nikko!

bakajanaino?
Old 05-09-2006, 09:57 PM
AznBash3r

yeah, my nikko 2wd with a fireball 540 motor, futaba servo, XRS ESC, pvc in the back, electrical tape on the front, and a 7 cell GP3300 pack. anymore questions?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Auslide
Banned

Yes.. Why Bother with the Nikko when your Sig states you have a TL-01..

TL-01 is AWD Shaft Driven and Has a Way better Chance of Drifting then a 2WD Nikko.. Even with a RS540 motor, without the Pull of the Front wheels, you cant Connect drifts..

As I said , there is a Difference between Tailing out.. and Drifting..

Is it Possible for you to shoot a Vid of your Nikko Doing a 5 ft Right-left Slide??

I am Just very intrigued as to how it would be able to pull off such a manouver..
Old 05-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Neon_guy

[:-]He wouldn't
Old 05-11-2006, 12:18 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

can someone explain "low turn brushless motor"? I normally don't do electric, but am thinking about drifting (just playing, not serious) but I haven't seen options for turns in brushless motors..

Old 05-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Auslide
Banned

Low Turn Brushless Motor = A Brushless motor with Less then 12 Turns

Old 05-12-2006, 12:29 AM
weenis boy

magnat

thanxs
i mean i can drift
but its always nice to learn more stuff
and techniques that other people use
so u can mix it up and flow with different
techniques....give it a different look ya know
and its a bummer someone always has to bash on u

when clearly u stated like people do it different ways

he is a noob he cant read haha

peace
Old 05-12-2006, 08:37 PM
fastmaxxcooper
My Feedback: (5)

everyone that says 2wd is for noobs is a noob. putting slippery drift tires on your 4wd car and steering has nothing to do with skill. being able to get a 2wd car to consistently drift isn't a noob thing. its just really really hard. too small and too light is a moment that is way too easily upset by outside forces. just noone has the patients or skill to be able to do it
Old 05-13-2006, 04:19 PM
genki

everyone that says 2wd is for noobs is a noob. putting slippery drift tires on your 4wd car and steering has nothing to do with skill. being able to get a 2wd car to consistently drift isn't a noob thing. its just really really hard. too small and too light is a moment that is way too easily upset by outside forces. just noone has the patients or skill to be able to do it
No one said 2WD is for n00bs[sm=confused.gif]
Old 05-13-2006, 06:01 PM
carmatic1

i have a mini lst, and one day when i was going about on asphalt i noticed that it wasnt going like it was 'on rails', if you get what i mean... this was with everything stock, center differential, front differential, rear differential, stock tyres, stock everything... i decided to explore the characteristics of the car abit more...next thing i know, i was kicking into turns , twiddling the steering and keeping the throttle locked at full, and at least for once or twice doing powerslides for a good dozen feet, the rest of the time i was spinning out

now that ive locked the center and rear , it was meant to give me more survivability offroad but i cant wait for my new '[link=http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?partnumber=MLT40506&c=194]street[/link]' rims (fake brake pads and all) to arrive so i can try doing it again with this setup

ok i just realized that i probably sound, look, smell and taste very different from the rest of the hardcore drifters , with my 1/18 monster truck and my misguided perception on car parts, but im just being honest that i have indeed drifted , in one form or another...
Old 05-13-2006, 07:20 PM
ROYjovero
Banned

ORIGINAL: fastmaxxcooper

Do YOU have the skill to drift a 2WD RC? Unlike what youseem to believe, drifting a 4WD chassis still takes a lot of skill. Sure, anyone can slap on some ABS to their chassisand "drift", but who can easily adapt to track conditions? Or who can easily adapt to a track which has technical and showy sections. With a 2WD chassis, the track will more than likely be suited for the car, whereas a a 4WD chassis can adapt to any track with a couple practice laps and some careful dialing in.

This isn't a flame at all. It just seems that you are claiming 4WD drifting takes little to no skill at all. If this were the case, there wouldn't be any threads in which people are asking why it's so HARD to drift with ABS/PVC etc. Yes, a 2WD car requires more skill and actually needs countersteer, but a 4WD requires careful manipulation of the throttle and exact timing of countersteer to get the desired kickback in a technical track.

Oh well, that's just my two cents. And if you're thinking, "What does this guy know? He hasn't even tried to drift a 2WD," you're totally wrong. I'm currently experimenting with a modified TA-03F converted to RWD. It's incredibly difficult, and I know that if I were able to spend time on the project, I could produce nice drifts. But in the meantime, it's just a side project when I'm not having fun with my 4WD cars.

Now have a nice day!
Old 05-15-2006, 09:41 PM
AznBash3r

aight, if you think i spent about 3 weeks trying to get a 2wd to drift and still calling me a noob, you must be s****ing me. it was a couple years ago, i had a mini-t on hand, and got a nikko ford gt from my uncle for xmas. i had some spare change in my pocket and decided to rip open the inners of the car and go for hobby grade equipment. i put abs in the rear and electric tape on the front. i froze my @$$ off in the parking lot trying to get this thing to drift. i finally got it, and was pretty happy. next year, i bought a tl-01 to drift with for real. i went crazy on this car, and decided to turn my nikko to a basher. right now, its in pieces, since i ran it over as a dummy with my e-zilla.
i bet all you people calling someone drifting a 2wd "noobs" dont even have the skills and patience it takes to drift.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:16 AM
genki

Hey AznRacer , I have read this thread and I don't see where anyone is calling you a noob......credit to you for try to drift the 2WD I have nothing against this at all. If you can drift it nice 1..........

But I think you should learn to read and understand before you start being an abusive moron!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.