Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

HOW DO YOU DRIFT WITH JUST 2WDRIVE?????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

HOW DO YOU DRIFT WITH JUST 2WDRIVE?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 01:51 PM
2WDrifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW DO YOU DRIFT WITH JUST 2WDRIVE?????

I have a shelby cobra 2wd car, and i am trying to drift it. What should I use? PVC, duck tape, ABS, electrical tape, or masking tape? my car is also a little too tail heavy. Im thinking of putting some weight in front so the front slides too.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:55 PM
wst50

Default RE: HOW DO YOU DRIFT WITH JUST 2WDRIVE?????

I'm shooting blind here, but here's my theory, as it's pretty/very hard to drift 2wd...

If you had ABS rears and normal tyres on the front, with enough countersteer you could probably drift it, as the tail would have almost no grip and the front should have enough to stop it spinning out, with good throttle control/ accurate steering.

Can anyone vouch for this theory for me?
Old 06-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Neon_guy

You're going to do more spinning than anything else. Not to say it's impossible. Just UBER difficult. You need the front wheels to guide and pull you through. That's all I'm gonna say on that. Lately, here, we've had quite a few discussions on 2wd drifting as far as rc is concerned, so I'm sure someone will chime in a bit later. If not, I'll explain it in more depth. But, just a heads up, next time, do a search before you ask a question cuz you might get flamed behind this. Not saying you will, but like I said, it's been a hot topic on here lately and people are getting kinda sick of explaining/arguing about it. So, just wanted to warn you. Good luck tho.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:00 PM
2WDrifter

im thinking pvc back and electrical or duck tape on front. OH YEAH. My shelby is a 1/8 scale. not 1/10. so it is a little trickier.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:04 PM
2WDrifter

wouldnt more grip on front make the car spin more?
Old 06-09-2006, 03:49 PM
ROYjovero
Banned

Like what Neon_guy said, 2WD drifting will be hard as hell. Seriously, just save up some dough and get a 4WD chassis. Also, who makes your Shelby? If it's like a Radio Shack car, it is highly unlikey that your radio gear is quick enough to react to the car's actions.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Auslide
Banned

1:10th, 1:8th : 1:15th ro 1:25th..

Trying to make a 2WD drive RC car to Drift is like tyring to find the Holy grail.. a Worth while Meaning but with fruitless out comes..

AWD is Needed to for rc drift.. Real Life Drifting and 1:10th scale drifting are 2 Completely seperate and Diffferent things..

Stop thinking Real life Drift and Start thinking RC.. If you want to achieve RC Drift at least Listen to those who already do it..

We All Have AWD Chassis
I cant even think of one RC Drift Competitve class that even allows RWD Chassis to even enter as they are not considered a Drift Chassis..
Drift Chassis are ALL WHEEL DRIVE either Belt or Shaft Driven....
Unless You can give me Video Evidense of a RWD only RC Drifting then I shall have to continue advising an ALL WHEEL DRIVE CHASSIS !
I mean Drfting, not Tailing out and Spinning But Holding a sliding pattern whilst going round a corner...
Old 06-10-2006, 03:17 PM
RC-Drift UK

2WD rc will only work if the weight distribution was the same as 1:1 scale and that means engine in the front

Kev
Old 06-10-2006, 10:00 PM
2WDrifter

My radio equip met is really quick. Ive added weight in front to balance the car like a real drift car. And one thing im doing wrong. im holding the throttle too high, so i spin out. Som ehelp on that please!!

I DONT HAVE ANY MONEY TO WORK WITH!!!!!!!!!! My parents aren't going to let me get a 4WD car until my car breaks down from wear and tear. AKA wearing the tires to nothing. so i might as well learn to RWD drift while i still have a working car. If i get it to work, i'll tell you how.

My car isnt a RADIO SHACK car. I dont know where i got it. my parents just bought it off the internet(New and in mint condition.) Also, i dont think its tuneable. the xtra weight in front is dipping the front shocks down.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:16 AM
hnefrdo

Sounds like a Nikko. Dude, just break it and say it broke from wear and tear or an accident and ask for a tt-01.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:15 AM
ROYjovero
Banned

Sounds like a Nikko to me as well. Radio equipment sucks, meaning even IF you were able to get the ideal weight distrbution, the radio gear is simply too slow to react to the car's actions.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:12 PM
2WDrifter

It doesnt say nikko on it and i can aleady drift with it. you need weight in front and PVC front, Electrical tape back(or you could get ABS back.) IT WORKS.

you need to either handbrake turn, or if you have abs back tires, power over steer. (ABS back requires countersteer. electrical tape doesn't.) another substitute for electrical tape is duck tape.

My vid will come later after i master the drift.

IVE ONLY BEEN DRIFTING THIS CAR FOR 3 DAYS< AND I GOT IT!!
Old 06-11-2006, 07:16 PM
ROYjovero
Banned

Uh oh. Seems like we've got another '2WD RC drift master' on the boards again. Sorry man, but prepare to put your flame suit on.

And how exactly do you handbrake drift a car that uses its motor to brake? And don't say you have a one-way in it because there is absolutely no point in putting a one-way on non-powered wheels.

And less than three ways to master it? Can you link drifts? Would you say your car and skills are good enough to take on a full blown RC drift competition?
Old 06-11-2006, 07:24 PM
2WDrifter

GEEZ. ive only been at this for 3 days. DO YOU EXPECT ME TO BECOME A MASTER IN THREE DAYS?????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
SURE. 4WD IS BETTER FOR DRIFTING BECAUSE IT TAKES LESS TIME TO LEARN AND IS EASIER. I KNOW THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2WDRIFTING IS LIKE, 5 TIMES HARDER.[:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 06-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Neon_guy

Look 2wd drifter, all we're saying is that in order to truly drift, you need 4wd. Nobody is questioning you or your ability to pull anything off. Maybe you'll be able to overcome physics and link drifts with a 2wd. Anything's possible. it's just not likely. And THAT'S why we're telling you this. Drifting 2wd to 4wd in r/c is like drifting rwd to 1wd IN 1:1. Is it physically possible. Sure. is it likely...no
Old 06-12-2006, 12:49 PM
2WDrifter

Im just trying to find a way so that anyone with any car should be able to drift. To be fair to those who CAN'T afford a TT-01, tc3, or any other $300 drift car.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:02 PM
RC-Drift UK

2WD rc drift is akin to a second or two of handbrake turning, whereas 4WD rc drift is basically as long as you want

Kev
Old 06-12-2006, 01:13 PM
2WDrifter

Ive gotten a 4 second drift from it.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:00 PM
driftdriftdrift
My Feedback: (1)

i dont mean to be a ass but the tt-01 is pretty affordable. rtrs run around $150-$200. getting into rc drift isnt cheap. the cheapest way to get into the sport would be from ebay. if you wanna drift something brand new you better be ready to drop at least $200
Old 06-12-2006, 03:37 PM
RC-Drift UK

ORIGINAL: 2WDrifter

Ive gotten a 4 second drift from it.
Get a 4WD and you'll triple that with ease

Kev
Old 06-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Neon_guy

Yeah. I agre with driftdriftdrift. You're gonna have to pay to play. If you can't afford it, save and wait. Hell, I've been waiting 3 or 4 years to get into it. But, now, I'm running a Yok Mr4tc chasis and a multitude of bodies, and I got a little traxxas 4tec that I mess around with (building for my gf eventually). It's not expensive to get into it, but it's not exactly cheap either. I mean, 2wd, I see your point, but that's like someone who really wants to learn how to drift getting a Geo cuz they can't afford a 240, Corolla, Chaser, or what have you. Yeah, drifting doesn't cost a LOT to do, but it ain't free.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:57 PM
driftdriftdrift
My Feedback: (1)

lol arent geos FWD?

2WD drift is possible but its highly unconventional and IMO a waste of time. you can spend hours on end tweaking your setup trying to get your 2WD car to do 5-10 (5ft?) second drifts while you can get a 4WD rc and drift in a matter of 5 minutes of setup and 20min to charge a battery and get 30sec+ drifts (thats like 30ft drift) as previously stated even if you could get your 2wd in proper weight dist you would need a hell fast/real torquey servo so you could get sideways and link drifts and such. im not by any means bashing you. i just think that you should focus on trying to get a 4WD car. and if you really want to go 4wd drift outside and let your car have a "mysterious head on collision" with a wall. theres normal wear and tear for ya. lol
Old 06-12-2006, 06:58 PM
type-R-mad

why not get a tt-01 rolling chasis for about 60 dollars then transfer radio motor etc into it, not very expensive tbh, but if you cant do that a would just try lots of different tire choices etc a used to do electric cars and my last 1 was a rwd and a only managed to pull a sweet drift about 3 times, its very hard and you might aswell wait till you get a 4wd car, it will be worth the wait [8D]
Old 06-13-2006, 04:08 AM
color0

gonna try to pull this topic back on course...

i personally own an MR02, which is RWD, and have tried to drift it. been having moderate success, i'll spin out once or twice in 10 corners. the angle is definitely not like 4WD, but if you install some bright rims (chrome or aluminum), the full-countersteer effect is satisfactory enough. and since you really have to drive the thing (can't just throw the car into a corner and relax...), often corner speed is up to par with AWD drifters.

IMO the key to RWD drifting an RC car is to steer with the rear end. to gain maximum angle the front tires have to be hard, and the rear tires softer (but hard enough to break traction on demand). while in the drift, your front tires are going to try to pull your rear end around, since friction acts against the direction of motion - basically creating a kind of weak drag brake on the front wheels. so you need really hard tires and very low-resistance bearings to counter this as much as possible. (in my MR02 i run with plastic tires up front, and dry bearings all around.) the rear end, whether you use a ball or gear diff, must be tight. the idea is to use the grip of the rear tires' differentiating against them, and with that force, keep the front end from diving too far in to the turn (and causing a spin-out). the effect is really noticeable with a locked diff in the rear, where the rears are working against each other and trying to keep the car straight and not sideways - helps a lot when the car's sliding at a good 45 degrees to the parallel.

utilizing inertia is VERY tough. after throwing the car into the turn at about a safe 60 degree angle to parallel, you basically have to keep the throttle to minimum, but not stopped. if the motor stops, the braking action of the magnets often throws something off. i've spun out many times because the neodymium magnets turned themselves into an e-brake. anyhow, you basically have to wait it out until the car starts to decrease angle; then you can start feathering the throttle and powering out of the turn.

regarding the setup, you need a good bit of off-power oversteer and as much on-power understeer as you can dial in; the MR02's not so great about this because the motor torque causes the exact opposite, but it's controllable with a damper setup. but the premise behind the setup is that you can throw the car into a drift quickly, and countersteer to the apex; then the car starts to straighten out, countersteer angle decreases, and you give it throttle to get out of the corner; then one last flick of countersteer and you're back to regular traction.

that might not be your style, but it's just about the only way i can find that works with 1/28 scale mini-z's. plus it seems to follow traditional racing techniques (slow in fast out) pretty faithfully.

disclaimer: all the above is theory and analysis of observations i gained during my testing; execution of it all requires perfect timing and is nonetheless ridiculously hard. i wish i could post a video to illustrate, but i'm definitely not consistent enough in execution. someone should build up a robot and a program that incorporates all these timing elements in one, just to drift a RWD RC car.

as a footnote, i've gotten 5ft drifts out of my MR02, and it's 1/28 scale... a 1/10 pan car with the proper setup should be able to do 15, if not more, because the longer wheelbase permits more time to react and make adjustments.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:03 PM
2WDrifter

I'm not going to slam my car into the wall. Im working on it and im investing in it(about $14) by redoing the paint, adding drift tires, making my own decals, adding head and tail lights, and neons. I can slide it just fine. probably i'll get it to link drifts into 15 ft s curves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.