Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

question about a Traxxas Rustler XL-5

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Schwarzwald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about a Traxxas Rustler XL-5

I got a rustler for my birthday on May 5th last year, it worked awesome; however, when I start it from a dead stop now daysit stopped popping wheelies. Is this a regular problem or do i need to fix something? Im using the stock battery and the only upgrades I have on it are aluminum caster blocks and stub axle carriers... and in a couple weeks a new servo and aluminum bell cranks...

Old 03-23-2011, 09:56 AM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: question about a Traxxas Rustler XL-5

Either the titan is tired or the battery is going.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 AM
sloppyG

yup,probably a combo nimh don't last that long and neither do 12t titans
Old 03-23-2011, 10:33 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you put the truck away and didn't cycle the battery packs at least once a month then the packs is dead or dying. Get yourself a new battery and you should be back in business. It's also a good idea to pull the motor out of the truck and give it a decent cleaning and lube the bushing. If you take care of the titan is should lest you a good long while.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Schwarzwald

The titan is only a couple months old, i had to replace it... so you guys think its the battery and thats it?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:47 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes to the battery

And a couple of months is too long to go without cleaning and lubing that titan. It should be done after every couple of batteries.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:49 PM
rc awesome

Probably your titan. Has it been making weird sounds, or running hot? It's probably your titan. If not then it's your battery. Oh, and welcome to RCU!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Captain Rusty

Go with a new battery for sure, nimh batteries never last long unless you cycle them proper everytime. Only problem is nimh are practically the same price as li-po and nowhere near as good. Decisions, decisions.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:58 PM
rc awesome

ORIGINAL: Captain Rusty

Go with a new battery for sure, nimh batteries never last long unless you cycle them proper everytime. Only problem is nimh are practically the same price as li-po and nowhere near as good. Decisions, decisions.
Turnigy lipos are cheap and good. But, you also have to shell out some dough for a good lipo charger

Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Captain Rusty

ORIGINAL: rc awesome

Turnigy lipos are cheap and good. But, you also have to shell out some dough for a good lipo charger

[/quote]

It doesnt just stop at the charger either. The xl-5 esc isnt rated for use with lipos, It cant handle the power and also doesnt have a low voltage cut off. I do believe the steering servo on the xl-5 also needs to be upgraded if you go over a 2s lipo. Well worth the money though, longer run times and way more power to play with.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:24 PM
rayndog3

It doesnt just stop at the charger either. The xl-5 esc isnt rated for use with lipos, It cant handle the power and also doesnt have a low voltage cut off. I do believe the steering servo on the xl-5 also needs to be upgraded if you go over a 2s lipo. Well worth the money though, longer run times and way more power to play with.

you can use lipos with the XL-5, I believe 2cell 7.4volt max, and the XL-5 does have low voltage detection so you can run them, it just needs to be turned on. I've been borrowing my friends lipo when we run them at lunch at work, runs great, pops wheelies all the time. I've never heard of replacing the servo if you go with more than a 2 cell. I think plenty of people use a 3 cell with a brushless system and don't change the servo out.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 PM
res3567

Yea well I believe not all XL-5s have this capability. Mine was used off of Ebay bought 2 years ago...and did not have it.....however...my dads Rusty...which is about six months old does....at least that is what the box and the manual says........
ORIGINAL: rayndog3

you can use lipos with the XL-5, I believe 2cell 7.4volt max, and the XL-5 does have low voltage detection so you can run them, it just needs to be turned on. I've been borrowing my friends lipo when we run them at lunch at work, runs great, pops wheelies all the time. I've never heard of replacing the servo if you go with more than a 2 cell. I think plenty of people use a 3 cell with a brushless system and don't change the servo out.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:31 PM
rayndog3

you are correct, i think they started to have low voltage cutoff around the end of last year.
ORIGINAL: res3567

Yea well I believe not all XL-5s have this capability. Mine was used off of Ebay bought 2 years ago...and did not have it.....however...my dads Rusty...which is about six months old does....at least that is what the box and the manual says........
ORIGINAL: rayndog3

Old 03-24-2011, 06:12 AM
Teknic
My Feedback: (1)

If it does have Low Voltage Detection it will say it right on the sticker just below the on/off button.

Otherwise you can buy a LVA for a few bucks.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:02 PM
rc awesome

Sometimes my X-L5 will only run 25%, or it cuts off completely. It really doesn't matter because it lets you know