Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:45 PM
egbasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

I need a recommendation for a replacement motor for the stock motor...not brushless, just something with a little more pep!
[/quote]

Take a look at this axial motor: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXULR5

I ran it when the stock photon speed 2 bit the dust and it had a bit more pep.

I highly reccommend water break in. Connect up two 1.5 volt D cells in series (3V) and fill up a spaghetti sauce jar 3/4 full of water. Connect up the battery with the polarity correct so the motor's spinning the right way and dunk it under water and let it run for a few minutes.

I know it sounds crazy but it breaks in the brushes nicely. You'll get longer motor life. Just make sure you put a bit of oil on the bearings after you dry it out.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 PM
egbasher

[quote]ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

They are Gens Ace 4000mah 2s 25 &30C. Run times are falling off too Used to be at least 20-25min, now about 15min, right EGbasher?
So, It's concieveable that these batts are getting tired? Maybe we should look at getting a higher C-rating next time, EGb. Like a 40C.

Yep. But I expect that. Every type of battery I've used drops off in capacity as it gets older. Geez, my GPS only last about 5 minues on battery power now.

That's what I'm thinking. 40 or 50C Not sure if the EZRun motors would benefit from a higher C rating though. They don't seem to pull enought current now to even begin to warm the ESC.

What I find interesting is that your batteries started to do it at the same time as mine even though you have a lot more charge cycles than mine. (Helps you track-side.)
Maybe it is age. Or lower ambient temps. I just don't want one to catch fire and melt a car.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Crash7772

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

ORIGINAL: Crash7772

ORIGINAL: egbasher

I have a battery question you guys might help me with.

My lipos are over a year old now, with probably 50+ recharges on them and they are starting to exhibit odd behavior. First off, they don't charge up as much as they used to when new. 3300mAh instead of 4100. I assume that's normal as a battery ages. The weird thing they are doing is that about 90% of the way through a discharge they go flat. Full throttle is like 5% and then, all of a sudden they start to put out the power like normal. The flat spot lasts anywhere from 1 or 2 seconds to 5 or more. Sometimes It dies as if it has hit the voltage limiter but if I turn off the ESC and turn it back on again it'll run normally for another 3-4 of minutes. Final discharged voltge is about the same (7.25 V for a 2S) as always. Also a couple of them are starting to swell a little.

Are they nearing the end of their life? How many recharges do you guys get before the battery's toast?
''Although getting better, RC LiPo’s don’t last that long, perhaps only 300-400 charge cycles (much less if not cared for properly). That said, I have heard some people getting over 1000 cycles if all the rules are followed. RC LiPo batteries require unique and proper care if they are going to last for any length of time more so than any other battery technology. Charging, discharging, and storage all affect the lifespan – get it wrong and a LiPo is garbage in as little as one mistake.''
They are Gens Ace 4000mah 2s 25 & 30C. Run times are falling off too Used to be at least 20-25min, now about 15min, right EGbasher?
So, It's concieveable that these batts are getting tired? Maybe we should look at getting a higher C-rating next time, EGb. Like a 40C.

I would suggest the 40c and equalize them (when charging) if you don't. My buddy had a cheap charger and it killed his quick (no equalizer either), I know the one I suggested above runs about $40 for the charger and has multiple attachments and will charge many different type of batteries and various cell sizes.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:12 AM
egbasher

They are Gens Ace 4000mah 2s 25 &30C. Run times are falling off too Used to be at least 20-25min, now about 15min, right EGbasher?

[/quote]
I would suggest the 40c and equalize them (when charging) if you don't. My buddy had a cheap charger and it killed his quick (no equalizer either), I know the one I suggested above runs about $40 for the charger and has multiple attachments and will charge many different type of batteries and various cell sizes.
[/quote]

Yeah, I think I'll try a higher C rating next time. I've got a decent charger and I always use the "Lipo Balance" mode. Maybe they're just getting toward the end of their lives.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 AM
DieHarder

Hey, Grandma asked me what I want for christmas (She has christmas really early. Like this year it's Dec. 1st), and I've been thinking about getting a losi micro sct brushless. I've always wanted a little truck to run around the house. You know to chase cats, cruise under the couch etc. . She usually spends $75 on me and my aunt does $25. So if I pitch in like $60, then it should cover it. My question was though, the sct's don't seem to be as popular as the truggys. Is there something wrong with the sct I don't know about? Performance wise, what is better? In the summer I might run it out on the back patio. Just thought I'd check with you guys first to see what you all thought.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it kind of depends on what you want to do with it, DH.  I can see that if you're racing six or eight other guys on a track, having fenders and bumpers can be a good thing: preventing race contact from turning into flips and crashes. But those big bodies can be a detriment in the high-speed and/or flying department. If you're running mostly wide open spaces and or by yourself, open-wheel trucks are fine. My buddy an I race each other around our course and mostly manage to keep from hitting each other or having wheel contact that cause flips. Actually manage to have some pretty good side-by-side racing. I've only had a chance to drive another friend's Slash once. He'd just installed a big brushless motor in it. It's a lot bigger than the Evaders.  And it handles much differently.  Nimble is NOT a word that comes to mind.  But after a while, I got the hang of it and began to appreciate its characteristics for what it was: A big, heavy truck, that, despite its relative bigness,indeed probably because of it, re-creates the look and feel of the full-size SC trucks.  I can see the appeal of the segment.  I still dig my Evader, tho. 
Old 11-14-2012, 06:16 PM
DieHarder

Well, I went to holland today and got the Losi Micro Brushless SCT. I don't get it though until Dec. 1st.[:@][:@] But I guess this gives me some time to save up for a lipo for it.  It only comes with a 4.8v NiMh. [:'(] But I guess I could live with it for a while. No use in throwing away a perfectly good battery. I will be counting the days till Dec. 1st!!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:11 PM
DieHarder

I'll try what cumquat is doing with the lounge. I will not let this thread go 24hrs without a post.!!! lolol  So it's almost been 24hrs, I still have an hour and 6 minutes, so this will be the first post in the last 24hrs.[8D]
Old 11-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Crash7772

ORIGINAL: DieHard1207

Well, I went to holland today and got the Losi Micro Brushless SCT. I don't get it though until Dec. 1st.[:@][:@] But I guess this gives me some time to save up for a lipo for it. It only comes with a 4.8v NiMh. [:'(] But I guess I could live with it for a while. No use in throwing away a perfectly good battery. I will be counting the days till Dec. 1st!!
I've heard that if you put to much power to the 1/18th's they are pretty much useless (how much IDK but even 2s is a decent jump). I know it's tricky running 3s in my Evader as it sits.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 AM
cumquat

what i have wanted to do since last year is get the rally (i like the body better) and build a table out of 2 4'x8' sheets of OSB (orentation undecided. a 4'x16' table is ridiculously long but an 8'x8' table is rather space consuming. if i put it in a corner, i'd have trouble getting to the other side to flip the car back over) and cover it with aquarium gravel to run it on. maybe build some platforms at different hights for a more rally-like track. the problem i ran into was that the gravel costs like $10 for a 20LBS bag and you'd need at least 10 bags to get the thickness i want (gotta remember that in either orentation, there would be 64 sq. ft. to cover with 1/2"-1" of gravel and a 5LBS bag only puts about an inch and a half in a 10 gallon tank (2 sq. ft. bottom)). then you consider that i have 200LBS on a table that i built... i'm able to build a lot of things, but i have no idea how strong a table would be. i might do it in the future, i may not. we'll see.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:10 PM
EXT2Rob

What now? You wanna build a rally course on a TABLE???  I don't get it.....
Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 PM
DieHarder

Well, my Evader's servo brace broke yesterday so I couldn't strap the battery in. I called the hobby shop ahead and asked them to set their last one aside for me. Today I went in there and picked that up, and I got a 27T pinion. I'm gonna try some super speed runs. The gear guard just barely fit around the new pinion. (I acually had to loosen the screws, pull on it, and tighten the screws back up to get it to fit.) Put the servo brace on, and now I'm waiting for the battery to finish charging. Th.....Wait.....Ok, the battery just finished charging! I'll let it set a little bit until it cools down and then I'll take her out. [8D] What's everyone doing for the weekend? I'm not planning much. Just gonna run the ol' rcs, do a little work (alot of work acually. ), and watch some football. I'm routing for the Lions even though I know they don't have a chance against the Packers. But they might get a few points on the board. (Hopefully!!) So yeah.... Like I said, what's everyone doing over the weekend?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 PM
EXT2Rob

What motor you running, DH?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:07 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

Evening all,

You may remember me. Iput the ASC ball diff in my EXT. Had a great run with it. Itook it out BC is was getting in need of a rebuild, and I scored a BL tranny from ebay. My question to you DTX loyalists . . has ANYONE come up with a good substitution/solution forthat cheap spur gear cover that DTXhas been selling for a long time now??

Isent DTX a recomendation saying that the gear cover was not up to the quality of the rest of the truck, nor is it a good match for the intended use; so maybe they could redesign. . .so while I'm waiting for them totake my great recomendation seriously, I guess Ibetterdo somethuing with what I've got.

So how about it guys? Any idea . . . I was thinking spray it with wheel well undercoating . . . electrical tape AND undercoating . . .

Maybe??
Old 11-16-2012, 07:00 PM
DieHarder

Traxxas Velenion 3S esc and 3500kv Brushless sensorless motor. I'm not running it on 3Sthough, only 2S.

What motor you running, DH?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:02 PM
DieHarder

I know exactly what your talking about. I'm still using the original because it hasn't completely shattered. Thought about maybe using the Traxxas Rustler gear cover because it's rubber, but I'm not sure that it will fit just right. Maybe I'll get one and modify it.
ORIGINAL: NoTraxxisRustler

Evening all,

You may remember me. Iput the ASC ball diff in my EXT. Had a great run with it. Itook it out BC is was getting in need of a rebuild, and I scored a BL tranny from ebay. My question to you DTX loyalists . . has ANYONE come up with a good substitution/solution forthat cheap spur gear cover that DTXhas been selling for a long time now??

Isent DTX a recomendation saying that the gear cover was not up to the quality of the rest of the truck, nor is it a good match for the intended use; so maybe they could redesign. . .so while I'm waiting for them totake my great recomendation seriously, I guess Ibetterdo somethuing with what I've got.

So how about it guys? Any idea . . . I was thinking spray it with wheel well undercoating . . . electrical tape AND undercoating . . .

Maybe??
Old 11-17-2012, 03:34 AM
NoTraxxisRustler

ASC has a pretty nice cover but the DTX holes are too far apart. May be worth a trip to PepBoys. They sell undecoating, which may be the best bet. Also sell Traxxis stuff just in case a hack would work.
ORIGINAL: DieHard1207

I know exactly what your talking about. I'm still using the original because it hasn't completely shattered. Thought about maybe using the Traxxas Rustler gear cover because it's rubber, but I'm not sure that it will fit just right. Maybe I'll get one and modify it.

Evening all,

Maybe??
Old 11-17-2012, 05:14 AM
Oracus

I would use Plastidip over undercoating 1st, its a spray on coating for autos.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:13 AM
EXT2Rob

Plastic Dip would help, I'd think. Hmmm....might try that.  I already painted the inside of the gear cover.....a coat of Plastic Dip, I would hope, should stick to the Tamiya paint, and add a little stiffness and strength to the thing.

Another idea would be to spread some Shoo-Goo on the inside of the gear cover, then nest another gear cover inside of the first, making a double-wall gear cover.  I have done that. Makes it pretty tough, but not very attractive.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Crash7772

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ is showing Gens Ace 40c 5000mah 2s for under $28 if anyone is looking and 3s are just over $40 in 40c 5000mah. They also have 50c 2s 5000mah for just over $30.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:36 PM
egbasher

Evening all,

Maybe??
I agree NTR. The gear cover is a joke. Not in synch, strength-wise, with the rest of the car. They were only lasting maybe 10 race days, if lucky. So, as per EXT2Rob suggested here is what I did.
I bought two of them and spread a light coating of adhesive on one and put them together. I also added a little color via a marker pen. They have held up for about 8 months so far.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:53 PM
egbasher

Thanks for all your input on my battery problem. I think I may have found the cause. It mignt be the way I was treating them. I used to recharge them as soon as I got home. The last couple of times I waited for a week or so until I charged them back up. So they sat at 7.2V (which recharged to about 7.5V) before I charged them up. Last race day was a great one and I charged two bats during the day. The first time I ran them they still had the flat spots but the second run on each pack they ran normally. So now I am using the LiPo storage cycle when I get home and I'll charge em up full the night before we race, which hopefully will be next Tuesday, if the rain holds off. I'll let you know the outcome.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:21 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

The nesting idea sounds pretty good. A coating of epoxy to glue the coverstogether would give it some structural stiffness.
It would be black. If you don't like thatyou could paint it with PastiDip. Sounds worth a go.

Guess I'll need to order another DTX gear cover.It will probably come in January.

Thanks All

Plastic Dip would help, I'd think. Hmmm....might try that. I already painted the inside of the gear cover.....a coat of Plastic Dip, I would hope, should stick to the Tamiya paint, and add a little stiffness and strength to the thing.

Another idea would be to spread some Shoo-Goo on the inside of the gear cover, then nest another gear cover inside of the first, making a double-wall gear cover. I have done that. Makes it pretty tough, but not very attractive.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 PM
rclugnut10

agreed the stock gear covers are pretty useless, the plasti dip is a good solution, i've hot glued the weak spots (just spread it around kinda thing) and haven't had an issue but if i find an extra one kicking around when i get back from school i'll probs double layer them.

As far as a post about batteries dieing out, i agree i think the cells are getting tired, and a higher C rated pack would always help, especially if the cells were getting overly warm often... plus a higher C rating is just more fun, i prefer driving my 4000mha 40C's vs my 5000mha 25c's just for the extra power.

sorry on the slow replies had 2 tests this week and a busy weekend... tho we destroyed princeton in hockey

the lug
Old 11-19-2012, 02:58 PM
DieHarder

I've got 5000mah 40C Venom battery, and that thing tears up the driveway like no tomorrow! What's everyone's plans for thanksgiving?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.