Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Newb with lots of questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 08:20 PM
83benz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb with lots of questions!

I have tried doing multiple searches on a few different forums but I'm not really finding what I need to know for what to buy. I am currently over seas for a few months and I'm looking for something to occupy my time. I would like to BUILD an electric off road "car" and would like to ask for some suggestions on how to go about buying a setup. I will not be doing any competitions but would like something that can take a beating - it's going to be very difficult for me to get parts where I am (everything will have to be shipped). I would like to build a kit that includes everything for around $500. I am drawn to Team Associated because I had a friend going up that had an RC10 that he would never let me try. So for some stupid reason I would like to consider Team Associated or Team Losi (I think they MAY be American owned?). 1. What is the difference in a buggy, truck, truggy? Is it just the cover that goes on top or is there more too it than that?2. For very dusty and rocky terrain - how do I go about choosing 2WD vs 4wd? What are the pros & cons to each? I'm guessing speed, handling, durability...? 3. Are there any kits that come with everything? I would like to buy one box that includes everything that I have to build if possible because I really wouldn't know how to part all the motors, esc, servos, wires, batteries together - unless someone knows of a very thorough list that meets what I'm looking for. 4. I have a Spektrum DX6i for helos and planes - is there any way to use this for a car?5. How many batteries would be reasonable to keep me busy for about a half hour session?6. I've good luck with Horizon Hobby but their selection is pretty small. Is there a recommended web site to buy from?Thanks for any help to these questions or any other advice you all have. I'll continue search both the forums and the manufactures websites.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:18 PM
thehuntingterminator

Default RE: Newb with lots of questions!

Associated and Losi make good stuff. However, no kit really comes with electronics, unless you want an RTR. If I was looking for something that your gonna bash and need it to be durable, I'd go with something 1/8 scale. Say an Ofna Nexx 8 buggy. It comes as a roller which means that it's built but you'll need to paint the body and supply your own electronics. You should be able to get a cheap but reliable 1/8 brushless system for around $150, cheap but high torque servo for around $20, cheap but quality Gens Ace 4s lipo to run on for around $70, and some paint for about $20. The buggy itself is around $250, so that brings you just over $500 I think for a decent setup using the transmitter you already have and I assume you have a charge? Obviously there are going to be thousands of options and things you can do, but this is something I think you'd be happy with. If you are interested, leg me know and I'll come back and post links to everything (on my iPod right now).
Old 07-27-2012, 10:06 PM
cumquat

Tamiya kits come with a brushed motor and esc, you just need a battery, radio and servo to get it running. $500 gets you a decent kit, but factor in shipping and you're screwed. supposing you have the money set aside for shipping (i imagine it may be another $100 for over seas), there isnt too much you can't get. for most kits, you need to supply the battery, radio, servo, motor and esc.

Associated is actually owned by the Taiwanese company Thunder Tiger. they were bought several years ago. Losi was started by Gil Losi jr., a disgruntled former-Associated employee (or so i have read).

2wd vs. 4wd: in general, 2wd handles better but 4wd handles more consistantly. you can slide better with a 2wd but a 4wd can go more places. it really depends how dusty and rocky it is. if there are a lot of large rocks, a crawler may be something to look into. if there is a lot of flat, hard land with sudden elevation changes, a 2wd st may be best.

buggy, truck/st and truggy differences: a buggy is narrower than the other two and has narrower front wheels (both truggies and st's have the same width tires all 'round). the difference between truggies and st's is a bit debatable. i insist a truggy is 4wd and an st is 2wd but most people say a truggy has a center diff while an st has a slipper clutch or just a rigid mounted spur. durability wise, they are more or less equal. in general, 1/8 scale is stronger.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:34 AM
83benz

I would prefer to stay 1/10 scale because I have to get this stuff home at some point.  Shipping shouldn't be bad (in fact free sometimes) since I'm at an APO address.  

It's flat here so I guess I'm leaning towards 2WD in a kit - I really want to learn about all the parts and how to set them up properly.  

Old 07-28-2012, 12:06 PM
cumquat

if i had $500, i'd get a [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMVP3&P=0]tamiya sand viper[/link] with a [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBBME&P=0]castle creations sidewinder 4600kv brushless combo[/link], a [link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html]thunder ac6 cgarger[/link], a [link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-5000-2s1p-hardcase.html]gens ace lipo[/link], a [link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html]flysky 3 channel 2.4gig radio[/link] and a[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAXFE&P=0]futaba high voltage servo[/link]. on the tower order, add the "$30 off of $229.90 or more" coupon. total cost, around $420 plus shipping. the brushless system will have a lot of power, borderline too much for the buggy. you may want to add the programming card or castle link (last i checked, you could get that for free from them directly).
Old 07-29-2012, 12:13 PM
DieHarder

I would buy the stuff from Tower. I think you should go with a 2wd Team Associated SC10 kit for $260, then a Traxxas 3S velenion 3500kv brushless motor and ESC for $180 , a Hi-tec servo for $30, and then a 2 channel radio and reciever for $30. It'll put you just a bit over $500. Tower has some items on Free Shipping.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:25 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: BurningEvader1458

I would buy the stuff from Tower. I think you should go with a 2wd Team Associated SC10 kit for $260, then a Traxxas 3S velenion 3500kv brushless motor and ESC for $180 , a Hi-tec servo for $30, and then a 2 channel radio and reciever for $30. It'll put you just a bit over $500. Tower has some items on Free Shipping.
No need for the Velineon system. Expensive for what you get. The ESC runs very hot, and the power/programming button is notorious for sticking. Then, Traxxas charges a $60 fee to have them fix it after 30 days. The motor is alright, though, but not any better than the GForce motors from valuehobby. Those things rock and are only $33. Get a HobbyWing 60a combo for around $100 that will easily outlast and perform the Velineon combo.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:17 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

No need for the Velineon system. Expensive for what you get. The ESC runs very hot, and the power/programming button is notorious for sticking. Then, Traxxas charges a $60 fee to have them fix it after 30 days. The motor is alright, though, but not any better than the GForce motors from valuehobby. Those things rock and are only $33. Get a HobbyWing 60a combo for around $100 that will easily outlast and perform the Velineon combo.
because they are now $100, they arent the deal they used to be. i'd just pay the extra $30 for a castle system which will have more power (60a 2 pole vs 100a 4 pole)
Old 07-29-2012, 01:20 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: cumquat

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

because they are now $100, they arent the deal they used to be. i'd just pay the extra $30 for a castle system which will have more power (60a 2 pole vs 100a 4 pole)
Well, yeah, that Castle SCT combo is a good deal, but the HW ESC is more capable (60a vs. around 45a for the Castle) so it's just a matter of preference.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:35 PM
cumquat

i'm pretty sure the sct is significantly north of 45A, but that's not what i'm talking about anyway, i'm talking about the regular sidewinder systems, like the one i linked to earlier. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBBME&P=0
Old 07-29-2012, 02:48 PM
thehuntingterminator

i'm pretty sure the sct is significantly north of 45A, but that's not what i'm talking about anyway, i'm talking about the regular sidewinder systems, like the one i linked to earlier. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBBME&P=0
The regular Sidewinder ESC is only around 35-45 amps. You'd be surprised how low of amperage ratings that Castle ESCs have in reality. For example, most people figure that the Mamba Monster is around 150a, when in fact it's only rated at around 120a. I'm not saying don't buy from them, just know what you're buying.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's true. The biggest shocker of all is the MMP, a 64A ESC that can run a 1/8th buggy on 6S. Just goes to show...anyway, we digress.

So...$500's the mark is it... Hm...ok, I can do that.

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_1564/products_id/186835/n/OFNA-Hyper-10TT-Pro-1-10-Electric-Truggy-Rolling-Chassis-80-Assembled]Hyper 10TT - $200[/link]
[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_221_911_1948/products_id/190600/n/Castle-Creations-Sidewinder-1-10-Scale-Short-Course-Brushless-Combo-w-Neu-Castle-1410-3800kV]Sidewinder and 4-pole 3800kv motor = $135 (what a bargain)[/link]
[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/61_100_2167_2169/products_id/183316/n/Savox-SC-1258TG-Standard-Digital-High-Speed-Titanium-Gear-Servo]Savox 1258 steering servo - $70[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html]FS GT3B radio (good unit for the price, all major settings, 2.4ghz, 10 model memory, extra receivers only 7 bucks, great radio) - $33[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html]And lastly, a decent charger. Thunder AC6 - $43[/link]

So what's our total... $481. Way below budget and look at that car. That's a car that I would be proud of, filled with stuff I would be proud to show off, that will ensure the performance of this bad boy makes anyone's jaw hit the floor. Even those in the hobby. Seriously, this may well be my next purchase, I've heard nothing but great things about this truck, and I've just loaded it for you with top quality stuff well inside budget.

I don't include batteries in the cost of a kit, you've always gotta consider those extra. Even RTRs don't come with batteries usually (and if they do they're utter garbage), anyway, buy 2 of [link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-5000-2s1p-hardcase.html]these.[/link] Get em while they're on sale.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:32 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO, that SAVOX servo is over-priced. $70. Really? My LHS won't even carry them, says they're easy to break.
I've been running a T-Pro metal gear servo I got for $12 for over a year. No problems.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg946r.html

Old 08-02-2012, 01:32 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

IMHO, that SAVOX servo is over-priced. $70. Really? My LHS won't even carry them, says they're easy to break.
I've been running a T-Pro metal gear servo I got for $12 for over a year. No problems.

read the specs, man. that savox throws 60 degrees in .08 seconds, that servo you link takes .2 seconds. plus, that has a plastic case, the savox is aluminum (stronger and better for cooling).
Old 08-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Foxy

lol? Hope not serious.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:40 PM
EXT2Rob

Totally. Yeah, I'm just a basher. But the diff between .06 seconds and .2 isn't worth $60 to me.
Especially when the LHS won't even carry Savox products because they don't stand up to his standards. That is to say, they break.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:56 PM
thehuntingterminator

I agree. And I've had experience with $120 servos and $12 servos.

Totally. Yeah, I'm just a basher. But the diff between .06 seconds and .2 isn't worth $60 to me.
Especially when the LHS won't even carry Savox products because they don't stand up to his standards. That is to say, they break.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:48 PM
celica49

I bought 4 of these batteries to run in my Kyosho Inferno Ve Race spec. A little higher C rating, only $5 per battery, and from everything I have heard, the Gens Ace batteries are absolutely awesome for the money.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:41 PM
EXT2Rob

That's been my experience with Gens Ace.  For bashing, they can't be beat.  Maybe racers can justify the extra cost of the more expen$ive batts.  But for just amusing yourself around the yard, why pay twice as much?
Old 08-11-2012, 12:46 PM
EXT2Rob

read the specs, man. that savox throws 60 degrees in .08 seconds, that servo you link takes .2 seconds. plus, that has a plastic case, the savox is aluminum (stronger and better for cooling).
That's the other thing about Savox. They suck SOmuch power that it DOES need an aluminum case! It also sucks the guts out of your BEC, in some cases requiring a separate BEC! That in no way spells "efficiency" in my book.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:54 PM
cumquat

that's the problem, you're using a BEC. if you look them up, you'll notice a good number of savox servos are rated for 7.4v, as in an unregulated 2s lipo. to each his own, you keep using the hobby parts servos, i'll keep using the futaba s3305 i bought 4 years ago
Old 08-17-2012, 09:08 AM
erekose76

83Benz, 

I've been seeing this on a lot of internet stores lately, and you may not be aware, so I thought you should informed.

It is illegal to ship lithium batteries oversees by the USPS, and I'm not sure of the rules for the other shippers, Fed Ex, UPS, etc.

Keep that in mind when ordering batteries.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: erekose76

83Benz,

I've been seeing this on a lot of internet stores lately, and you may not be aware, so I thought you should informed.

It is illegal to ship lithium batteries oversees by the USPS, and I'm not sure of the rules for the other shippers, Fed Ex, UPS, etc.

Keep that in mind when ordering batteries.
I've ordered lipos from three different countries in the last year including the US and China. Are you thinking of nitro fuel perhaps?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 AM
erekose76

Nope, I'm talking about the batteries.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_024.htm USPS Regulations regarding lithium batteries

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_024.htm More USPS regulations regarding lithium batteries.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Foxy

349.222 Secondary Lithium-ion (Rechargeable) Cells and Batteries

For domestic mailings only, small consumer-type lithium-ion cells and batteries like those used to power cell phones and laptop computers are mailable domestically under the following conditions. See 622 or IMM 136 when mailing batteries internationally or to and from APO, FPO, or DPO destinations.

General. The following additional restrictions apply to the mailability of all secondary (rechargeable) lithium-ion cells and batteries:
The lithium content must not exceed 20 Wh (Watt-hour rating) per cell.
The total aggregate lithium content must not exceed 100 Wh per battery.

Each cell or battery must meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, part III, and subsection 38.3 as referenced in DOT’s hazardous materials regulation at 49 CFR 171.7.
The mailpiece must not contain more than three batteries.
All outer packages must have a complete delivery and return address.
Installed in Equipment. The following additional restrictions apply to the mailing of secondary cells or batteries properly installed in equipment they operate:
The batteries installed in the equipment must be protected from damage and short circuit.
The equipment must be equipped with an effective means of preventing it from being turned on or activated.
The equipment must be cushioned to prevent movement or damage and be contained in a strong enough sealed package to prevent crushing of the package or exposure of the contents during normal handling in the mail. The shipment must be mailed in a strong outer package.
Mailed With Equipment. The following additional restrictions apply to the mailing of secondary cells or batteries shipped with (but not installed in) the device or equipment being mailed:
The shipment cannot contain more batteries than the number needed to operate the device up to three batteries.
The secondary lithium cells and batteries must be packaged separately and cushioned to prevent movement or damage.
The shipment must be contained in a strong enough sealed package to prevent crushing of the package or exposure of the contents during normal handling in the mail.
The outside of the package must be marked on the address side “Package Contains Lithium-ion Batteries (no lithium metal).”
Mailed Without Equipment. The following additional restrictions apply to the mailing of secondary cells or batteries without equipment (individual batteries):
The secondary lithium cells and batteries must be mailed in “the originally sealed packaging”, and the package may contain no more than three batteries.
The sealed packages of batteries must be separated and cushioned to prevent short circuit, movement, or damage.
The shipment must be contained in a strong enough sealed package to prevent crushing of the package or exposure of the contents during normal handling in the mail.
The outside of the package must be marked on the address side “Package Contains Lithium-ion Batteries (no lithium metal).”
Most lipo batteries for RC do not exceed 20Wh per cell nor 100Wh per battery. A 6000mah lipo 'just' breaks the 20W per cell rule if it is '1P' type. If it is '2P' type then its nowhere near. Similarly, it would need to be a big 6S lipo to exceed the 100Wh overall limit.

Seems most cases are ok, but larger batteries are pushing the limits of the rules. I expect the rules will be revised as they realise that hobbyists are using slightly larger batteries these days for some applications.

The line I made red though, I have never seen enforced. I'm now curious to see if amainhobies would ship me 4 lipos...

Article 622 refers to mailing of most materials internationally under the same rulse as above, except some special provisions for infectious matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.