Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Prevent body damage

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 01:20 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Prevent body damage

Is there a consensus on the best way to mount bodies on off road trucks to keep from tearing the mount holes out? I went through a Stampede body in about a year that way, and now have a couple of Associated trucks that I'd like to preserve as much as possible (RC10T and SC10RS). I'm thinking on the SC10 to put a clip and washer under and then over the mount hole so it's well supported regardless of the stresses on it. Does that work well? Is there a standard method for reinforcing the hole so it doesn't tear out from side stresses? Any other tips I should know about?
Old 12-23-2016, 09:15 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That method you describe does work in some cases. A favorite of mine is Shoo Goo (or Automotive Goop, Plumbers Goop, et al). Smearing a thin layer of that around the underside of the body hole (ok, that sounds disgusting...) can add strength and some flexibility to add longevity to the body. If you have the play, so it doesn't make the body pin fit too tightly, adding a piece of fiberglass window screen to the Shoo Goo adds additional strength. I like using that on spots like the fenders where they meet the front windshield A-Pillar. That's a common place for body cracks. But those body hole spots can take abuse if you're crashing and bashing your ride a lot. Another thing to do to help reduce the hole cracks is to use a body reamer to enlarge the holes a bit, so the body posts have a little play and give. That relieves some stress on the holes. I also use Goo around the bottom edges of whole body and fender arches.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:46 PM
jester_s1

Thanks EXT2Rob. I'll get a tube of goo and see what I can do with it. I have 2 oz glass and finishing resin, so I can do the reinforcement that way too. I've been a plane guy for about 10 years, but swapped a beat up old plane for a decent Stampede a few years ago and now am interested in racing. I know that bodies get banged up on the track regardless, but anything I can do to make it last a little longer is worthwhile IMO.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:17 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah! Anything to help things last a little longer. Um, you might test that resin on an old piece of lexan or inconspicuous place on the body to see if they're compatible. Wouldn't want to melt the lexan.

Thinking about racing, eh? Cool. Not the Stampy, I'd assume. What are you looking to get for racing? Short Course truck? Racing buggy? Something 8th scale?
Old 12-24-2016, 06:44 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
... A favorite of mine is Shoo Goo (or Automotive Goop, Plumbers Goop, et al). Smearing a thin layer of that around the underside of the body hole (ok, that sounds disgusting...) can add strength and some flexibility to add longevity to the body....
Thanks for the chuckle.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:15 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Bummer. I can't find these anymore:

I've been using these foam discs since 1991, and get put inside most/all my RC bodies. Not much added protection, but helps with paint not flaking off near body posts.

There are a bunch of vids on YouTube where rubberized paints/coverings are tested on flexible plastic RC bodies. I don't recall which one(s) performed the best.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rce097_1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	2194217  
Old 12-24-2016, 10:03 PM
jester_s1

I bought an SC10RS. Several of the tracks here have a short course class, and that seems to be the dominant truck.

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob

Thinking about racing, eh? Cool. Not the Stampy, I'd assume. What are you looking to get for racing? Short Course truck? Racing buggy? Something 8th scale?