Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Hard packed dirt/ offroad speed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 07:39 PM
traindude2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard packed dirt/ offroad speed?

Hey, everyone, I'm new to the RC community and I want to buy a new truck. Sure I have a 2WD 2011 Traxxas Grave Digger but it's not all that great. I'm looking for another Traxxas vehicle and I just want to know whats a good speed for doing some jumps at my local hobby shop which has a hard packed dirt track. Thanks a lot, Luke
Old 12-23-2016, 08:46 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Luke, welcome to the addiction. What are the other drivers running at that track? Do you have any racing plans? The common track vehicles are short course trucks like the Slash, and maybe stadium trucks like the Rustler, I've heard they're making a comeback at some tracks. Otherwise it's racing buggies which Traxxas doesn't make. Like Associated, Losi/TLR, Mugen, etc.

But that's if you're thinking of racing. If you're just looking for a fun driver (do you have a place to run besides the local hobby store track?) there are other options.

Not sure what you mean by "a good speed for jumps". Pretty much any Traxxas vehicle can handle moderate jumps that any public track may have. Are you asking what sort of car would be good for the jumps at your track?. Slash definitely. 2wd or 4wd? Depends on if you want to have a rig that fits in a racing class. Most short course racing is 2wd Spec. Unless they have enough 4wd SCTs to form a class. But Slash's aren't that great racing, so I've read, unless you use the LCG chassis and upgrade the driveshafts. But for just bombing around, Slash is fine.

How bout the Rustler? A 2wd rear motor stadium truck can be a hoot to drive. Fast. Nimble. Good at popping wheelies if you so desire, and have the motor. I started the hobby with an equivalent. Teaches you how to drive, 2wd does.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:30 PM
traindude2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering what's the best gear setting for the Slash 4X4 if I want to drive along the hobby stops packed dirt track and drive through the creek out behind my house. The website says that anything over the stock gearing is for flat, hard surfaces only but I wanted to know how fast I could go before I damaged the truck or caused it to overheat.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:52 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best way to know how much load your motor is taking, is how hot it is. And the best way to tell how hot it is, is with an infra-red thermometer. They can b had for $20-45. Measure the temperature of your motor after running it for 5 min. Ideally is should be 125 to 150F depending on ambient, give or take 10 degrees. If it gets over 180F, it's geared too high, or, something is wrong and it needs looking into. In any case, 180 is too high for a motor and can ruin it. It's always a good idea to know your normal running temp, so when you notice a rise above what you consider normal, you know something is amiss. To answer your question tho, I'd start with stock. See how it performs, and note the temp. If you feel it's lacking acceleration to squirt out of tight corners to hit a quick jump, go down a tooth on th pinion. If the track is less tight and more open sweepers, stock should do. Ask the guys there what gearing they're running.