Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Where do I even begin with this grasshopper????

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 09:21 AM
Justme541

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do I even begin with this grasshopper????

Long story short.. I was given this grasshopper rc car when I was 8 or so. I'm 37 this year and still have never ran it. This is the year..

It came with a wooden carrying box that has a lid that folds up and a front face that drops down. Exposing slots on the top for the car to sit and drawers below FULL OF PARTS.

I need to replace the remote and batteries(and anything to go with this)the motor and prob gear box as the last time(10years ago) I messed with it but only got reverse to function.
I'm in over my head here.. I know 0 about rc but my dad is getting up there in age.. I think it would be amazing to have him get to run it with me and 1 of my boys before it's too late..
Old 08-05-2023, 02:24 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

we need a little more info on the car. does it have an electric speed control, also known as an ESC. or a mechanical speed control (MSC)? an ESC is a plastic box with motor and battery wires running out of it. a mechanical speed control (MSC) has a spinnie thing on it and is attached to a servo (a servo is also the thing that controls the steering) and has wires running out of it. MSC's also require an additional "receiver pack" (4 AA battery's).
in ether case you're going to have to test all the radio gear. so you'll need a new battery as im sure yours is probably toast cause its so old. you don't need anything crazy. just a 6 cell NiMH pack in the 3000mah range will be more than sufficient and those can be picked up at any hobby shop or online for around $20. try to get one with the same plug as your ESC/MSC so you don't have to change anything. if the plug is white that's what we call a Tamiya style plug. if it's red it's probably a Deans plug, also known as a T style plug.

for starters, make sure the steering servo lead is plugged into the receiver channel 1. and the ESC or MSC is plugged into channel 2. and that the frequency crystal in the radio and receiver match.
all you need to do is put battery's in the radio and turn it on, make sure it still turns on. then charge and connect the battery to the car. then with the car off the ground, turn on the car see what happens. try the steering, then the throttle, see if they work. if it works you can fine it from there or at the very least narrow down your trouble shooting. if it's an ESC you may have to program it (each one is a little different but it's always pretty easy to do. if you don't have the instruction manual you can always find one online) you may have to adjust throttle or steering trims (there are usually knobs on the radio for that). if everything works you should be able to at least drive it around in your yard at that point. if it doesn't work or only partially works let us know, pic's and/or videos help. but im sure pretty much everybody on this forum can walk you through further diagnosis from there.
that'll be your starting point unless you just want to say the heck with it and invest in all new radio gear, new battery (if you get a lipo battery you'll need a new charger). but your best bet is to test what you've got and program the ESC if it has one. you can always upgrade/modernize later.