Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Rustler Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 12:32 PM
EpoweredRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Rustler Thread

yeah thats true I would have to buy like 7 packs and make 6 of those 7 cells to use them all up.
i guess I should just find a good 7 cell and try it.

ORIGINAL: MONSTARUSTA

Yeah you could build a 7-cell with some old 6-cell packs but then you would end up with one 7cell pack and some lose cells where you used to have two 6-cell packs.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:37 PM
MONSTARUSTA

I think I'm going to take apart my 7-cell hump pack and turn it into a sxs pack.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:32 PM
MONSTARUSTA

Well I desided to do it I'm useing deans ultra plug female pig tail for the pack, deans male ultra plugs for the esc, and charger, and Team orion plantinum battery bones. Is there anything else I will need?
Old 06-17-2006, 11:11 PM
hdtll

Thanks for answering shock question.
Radio Shack has GP 3300 for $25 a piece. they fare well after they are broak in. I also have SMC packs I not impressed with them. I was going to use my Lipo's unntill I toasted $130TP 7.2 4200 pack I will stick with cheap gp 3300.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:26 AM
MONSTARUSTA

Well I looked into building my own pack and found out that its kinda hard to do So I'm accepting the challenge and I'm also shrink wraping all the cells seperatly so I can take them apart later.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:04 AM
Dudelive

You can save on the shrink wrap for single cell use by wrapping each cell in that clear packing tape used for taping boxes for moving. Then when all is togetherand works ok shrink the whole pack together. By wrapping them each seperate if they need seperating just carefully slice only the wrapping tape and you will save the original wrapper. You can trim the tape to the point it will never be seen.

It was mentioned making a 7 cell pack as a test, just connect the 7th cell in series with the original 6 cell pack by putting connectors on it and you can have a 7 cell pack anytime. To charge it leave it connected together unless your charger will do single cells. Then if it works ok for you, then make it permanent.

Thanks
Dudelive
Old 06-18-2006, 09:23 AM
MONSTARUSTA

I think I'll stink with individual shrink wrap becuase its thicker and offers more protection for off-road use.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:01 AM
EpoweredRC

make is a what?sxs?
is that a typo? Um well I myself wouldnt build a pack I would have my father do it, as said hes mr battery man, he can build whatever ha knows all the ways and safty of doing so he can sorder like noone else.

I think I'm going to take apart my 7-cell hump pack and turn it into a sxs pack.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:37 PM
smartone

so my rustler is still coming in from ebay and its all stock. would the reedi qaud mag be a good motor for it? Also, what parts should i upgrade?
Old 06-18-2006, 02:51 PM
MONSTARUSTA

NO SxS isn't a typo it stands for side by side. For some reason everyone thinks sxs packs are better so I'm building a sxs pack out of my stick pack because of heat problems with the new Reedy Quad Mag.

Yes the Reedy Quad Mag is awsome

Also get a aluminum idler gear / bearings and RPM bearing carriers / RPM wide front bumper / Metal gear servo / Mip cvd's / washers around the motor bults to the tranny /and a kimbrough servo saver and you have a bullet proof rusty. start with the first three and the second to last one then upgrade the rest later.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:09 PM
EpoweredRC

oh okay, I never seen sxs typed out lol I understand, I didnt know ppl thought side by side was better.

NO SxS isn't a typo it stands for side by side. For some reason everyone thinks sxs packs are better so I'm building a sxs pack out of my stick pack because of heat problems with the new Reedy Quad Mag.
Yes the Reedy Quad Mag is awsome
Also get a aluminum idler gear / bearings and RPM bearing carriers / RPM wide front bumper / Metal gear servo / Mip cvd's / washers around the motor bults to the tranny /and a kimbrough servo saver and you have a bullet proof rusty. start with the first three and the second to last one then upgrade the rest later.
^everything he said is good upgrades.
besides what you mean by washers around the motor bults?
Old 06-18-2006, 07:05 PM
smartone

thanks guys, i will probably get the reedy quad mag first and start working on that list. also, the guy who sold it to me took the shock oil out and threw it away. what shock oil is good or would work for the rusty?
Old 06-19-2006, 09:04 AM
RBair612

Hey guys, I need your help. I was running it and it just stopped and started making a strange noise. Before I started taking stuff apart I spun the rear wheels and only one wheel would spin at a time. So I was pretty sure it was in the gearbox so I started taking the tranny off of the chassis and I've looked inside and everything looks ok. But I haven't been able to get the side plate off of the main diff gear assembly to check the planet gears and sun gear. You guys got any tips for getting that off after I take the screws out of it?
Old 06-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Dudelive

ORIGINAL: Night_prowler26

^everything he said is good upgrades.
besides what you mean by washers around the motor bults?
I think he meant washers around the screws that hold the motor in place.

Thanks
Dudelive
Old 06-19-2006, 09:36 AM
EpoweredRC

hum , check your wheel hubs my wheel hubs got rounded off and the wheel would spin but only cause it was spinning around the hub. i took the whole gearbox apart before i figured it out.
also if your wheels got lose u could have lost that pin. things to check.
um i dont know my screws came right out of mine so i dont know what to tell you. get a screw driver that fits really good in there.
good luck

ORIGINAL: RBair612

Hey guys, I need your help. I was running it and it just stopped and started making a strange noise. Before I started taking stuff apart I spun the rear wheels and only one wheel would spin at a time. So I was pretty sure it was in the gearbox so I started taking the tranny off of the chassis and I've looked inside and everything looks ok. But I haven't been able to get the side plate off of the main diff gear assembly to check the planet gears and sun gear. You guys got any tips for getting that off after I take the screws out of it?
Old 06-19-2006, 10:48 AM
RBair612

I can get the screws off of the diff gear, I just can't get the side plate off after I take the screws out. And I'm pretty sure the problem is in the tranny, because when I turned the wheels by hand the axle attached to the wheel spun but the axle on the other side of the tranny wasn't spinning.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:20 PM
EpoweredRC

oh you cant get the gear box separated? did you take the axle yokes loose from the axle's coming out the Tranny? if these are not removed (at least one side, i did the left side) it wont come apart, once you take one of them off it comes right apart. if u have all the screws out then this must be whats holding it.

I can get the screws off of the diff gear, I just can't get the side plate off after I take the screws out. And I'm pretty sure the problem is in the tranny, because when I turned the wheels by hand the axle attached to the wheel spun but the axle on the other side of the tranny wasn't spinning.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:39 PM
mattster72

okay i have a problem.

yesterday, i was running my rustler and it started glitching. I was able to steer without the glitching probelms. So i think that knocks out radio interference. The only glitching was going forward and reverse. Could it be my motor. Or could i be my battery because it was about 50% done. After i took it inside it smelt like my motor was burning.

P.S. i have the stock stinger motor and have ran it everyday around my house or at the local track since march when i first got it.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:07 PM
EpoweredRC

hum strange , well my stock motor smells like that all time when i run it hard, they get hot and stink, your done good to run everyday since march and still going, but then some say they have had theres years,( i think those guys take them off within a week and put a new one on lol)

ORIGINAL: mattster72

okay i have a problem.

yesterday, i was running my rustler and it started glitching. I was able to steer without the glitching probelms. So i think that knocks out radio interference. The only glitching was going forward and reverse. Could it be my motor. Or could i be my battery because it was about 50% done. After i took it inside it smelt like my motor was burning.

P.S. i have the stock stinger motor and have ran it everyday around my house or at the local track since march when i first got it.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:59 PM
mattster72

my dad got home today and he says that he thinks it is the motor. what is a good motor for bashing.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:45 PM
MONSTARUSTA

did you buy it used? becuase the diff could be locked (glued together) and in that case a palnet gear probly striped and thats why its not turning. If its new just pry the lid off with a flat head screw dirver.

Also sorry I haven't been hear answering questions but my dads a railroader now and he takes the labtop with him on the train.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:49 PM
MONSTARUSTA

ORIGINAL: mattster72

my dad got home today and he says that he thinks it is the motor. what is a good motor for bashing.
Run the truck the next chance you get and when It does that walk over to it and push the tamiya plugs back togeather If it takes off just install some deans connectors and problem solved.

Also when you get the deans get a Reedy Quad Mag thats probly the torquiest motor motor their is sort of brushless. I have mine geared 21/78 on 7-cells and 3.6" street tires and it runs hot becuase its geared to low.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:50 PM
EpoweredRC

see i didnt understand if it was the gear box he cant get open or the driff gear inside the gear box he couldnt get open, I just pushed on the right side of the gear and it poped right out.

did you buy it used? becuase the diff could be locked (glued together) and in that case a palnet gear probly striped and thats why its not turning. If its new just pry the lid off with a flat head screw dirver.

Also sorry I haven't been hear answering questions but my dads a railroader now and he takes the labtop with him on the train.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:17 PM
mattster72

hey guys is this motor any good

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLRD6&P=7
Old 06-19-2006, 10:32 PM
MONSTARUSTA

It might perform good but if any motor costs less than 35 dallors It won't last more than 2 weeks from my experience anyway.

Get a Reedy Qaud Mag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.