Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

OFFICAL PEDE THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:11 PM
traxxaspede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICAL PEDE THREAD

i jsut finished reading the last ten pages or so. what s all that talk about you HAVE to use the steel idler geer with steel top gear and diff ring gear. NOT TRUE. ive been using an amulin one for a couple months. i does get worn out, but it works fine!

also, i want to upgrade my shocks. is there any performance differance between alum. big bores or alum. ultra shocks (i think the ultr shocks are $5 more and have bigger cylinders). also, any other recommended shocks? i dont want to spend too much money.

Are the jato shafts any stronger at the ends than stock? ive been having problems with those and also the stub axles. are there any all steel stub axles for the rear that fit with 5x11 bearing/rpm carriers and minimal modding?
Old 09-19-2008, 08:44 PM
aftermarket
My Feedback: (2)

On the aluminum idler: It's best to use the same metals together. Your aluminum idler is wearing out and it costs 2 to 3 times more than a steel one, which will last much longer (reason why you use the same metals)... the only downside is steel is a bit heavier, that's all.

Big bores cost 5 dollars a pair more than the other version of the aluminum shocks (can't remember name atm) I believe better damping and durability is achieved w/ the big bores. I love mine, that's for sure!

Jato shafts work well. Using steel output yolks will also help.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:58 PM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

Yo guys...

Picked up an XL-5 roller and am wondering if I can use a 20T 540 motor and a Futaba MC-230 esc in it and get ok to good results??? Should I change the pinion from a 19T??

Ultimately later we'll go brushless and lipo's etc but for now just wanna get it going for our son.

Thanks for any advice. Later
Old 09-20-2008, 08:37 AM
aftermarket

You'll be ok for now, if the esc will handle it, what is the limit on it? Just want to make sure, but don't be too worried, most escs will take 20 turn motors.

What is the 20 turn motor? I've heard the stock stinger motors last for quite a long time on on 6 cells. They're dirt cheap too! It'll be suitable for your son, not producing break-neck speeds, but also faster than your usual Wal-Mart rc.

Your son will have a blast with this truck.

P.S. What battery pack do you use?
Old 09-20-2008, 08:41 PM
streetracer745

Yes stingers are great motors. And for a 20t it is actually pretty fast and strong... It depends... The xl-5 comes with a 19t pinion and a 89t spur right? or 87? Either way it SHOULD be fine on that gearing but it wouldnt hurt to try it out and possibly go down to a 17 pinion or so
Old 09-20-2008, 08:59 PM
aftermarket

ORIGINAL: streetracer745

Yes stingers are great motors. And for a 20t it is actually pretty fast and strong... It depends... The xl-5 comes with a 19t pinion and a 89t spur right? or 87? Either way it SHOULD be fine on that gearing but it wouldnt hurt to try it out and possibly go down to a 17 pinion or so
+1

Cannot believe I forgot that! Traxxas over-gears many of their rc's to get the speed they slap onto their boxes. For that pede it's got an 86 t spur. I'd go ahead and use a steel losi 17t pinion. You'll get more wheelies, acceleration, runtime, and less heat troubles. On the downside, you'd probably lose...2-3 mph on the top end? No biggy imo.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:11 PM
beaver180

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys....

The Futaba MC-230 is apparently good down to 20T motors, and the motors I have are a few old but mint Kyosho buggy racing motors... a LeMans 360ST, a LeMans 600E, and a LeMans 240S.

I'm not 100% sure what "turn" these motors are but I think the 240 is 20T and the 600E is 30T. How would any of these rate against a Titan 12T?? no comparision??

Batteries I'll just are Tenergy 7.2v six cell 4200mah Nimh with deans connections. Supposed to be good for high current draw if required.

Cheers, Paul
Old 09-20-2008, 09:13 PM
streetracer745

Well depending on how old the son is or how good of a driver he is, it might be good to loose a few MPH with the pede... I have given up on trying to break 90 with my pede... Everytime I drive I break something... And since my 3s fried I think I am just going to run it on 2s as soon as I get one... But the stinger is an amazing motor IMO. I ran one for years... In a few different trucks actually. I have 3 stingers sitting in my room right now. All of them were never replaced and used in different trucks.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:24 PM
fusebmx13

ORIGINAL: streetracer745

Well depending on how old the son is or how good of a driver he is, it might be good to loose a few MPH with the pede... I have given up on trying to break 90 with my pede... Everytime I drive I break something... And since my 3s fried I think I am just going to run it on 2s as soon as I get one... But the stinger is an amazing motor IMO. I ran one for years... In a few different trucks actually. I have 3 stingers sitting in my room right now. All of them were never replaced and used in different trucks.
Get a maxamps pack. Very great and great on customer service to. I have the 6000mah 2s and my brother has the 5000mah 3s and they are both great packs. But get this.
His pack was bad (had a bad cell because it puffed up after first run) so we sent it back and they sent us a brand new battery free of charge. Great customer service (actually responds to my e mails haha)
Old 09-20-2008, 09:27 PM
streetracer745

Yeh my 3s was a 5000 maxamps. I liked it a lot. But they are too expensive for me... I cant afford $100 for a 5k 2s pack... I need 2
Old 09-21-2008, 10:05 AM
aftermarket

ORIGINAL: beaver180

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys....

The Futaba MC-230 is apparently good down to 20T motors, and the motors I have are a few old but mint Kyosho buggy racing motors... a LeMans 360ST, a LeMans 600E, and a LeMans 240S.

I'm not 100% sure what "turn" these motors are but I think the 240 is 20T and the 600E is 30T. How would any of these rate against a Titan 12T?? no comparision??

Batteries I'll just are Tenergy 7.2v six cell 4200mah Nimh with deans connections. Supposed to be good for high current draw if required.

Cheers, Paul
Here's the deal with titan 12 turn motors, you never, ever know when it's going to fry or whip out the magic smoke. Anyway, most people encounter a dead titan motor in the early ownership of it. I've seen people get 2-3 runs and that's it. The culprit: the stock gearing. Again, traxxas will over gear their rc's to meet the speed expectations of the box. On the other hand, I've seen titans go well over a year without any bad reports. The owner immediately geared down and only used a 6 cell pack.

But still, the titan may be too fast for your son. I'd use the original esc and get a stinger motor, using the pack you stated. Stingers are cheap.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:22 AM
streetracer745

No its not the gearing that fries the motors... The gearing that comes on the trucks do not meet the speed claimed. The speed they claim is using the included 23t pinion and 7 cells... That is the speed posted on the box. The titan motors just arent put together well IMO. The stingers are amazing. And dirt cheap. If I were to go back to a stockRTR can motor I would get nothign buit a stinger. They really are good motors. The titans just arent. Some run great, some dont run at all. Its weird... Not the typical Traxxas product...
Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM
TIGER76

Hey guys im after a new shell for my pede
which shells fit well? im buying from the UK so any help would be great
Are the savage,maxx,revo etc all different sizes? i know the chassis are but do the shells fit onto a pede.
All i can find on modelsport are the Pro-Line Chevy Early 50s Pickup and hummer shells []
Ive been looking round at the toy rc hard shells as its gonna get bashed alot lol
If youve got another make shell to fit any ideals or pictures post them up

Thanks
Old 09-22-2008, 05:36 PM
streetracer745

Well I cant help you with ordering from the UK... I know proline makes 4 or 5 bodies... Check out prolineracing.com. and JConcepts make some pretty weird looking bodies for it too. thats at jconcepts.net. You can probably find a body from them that you like and look it up on either ebay or froogle. Im sure there is somewhere in the UK that sells them all. If nto i am positive that towerhobbies has them...
Old 09-23-2008, 01:12 PM
TIGER76

Thanks for the help m8 will look into those [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-23-2008, 02:46 PM
beaver180

Many thanx for your and whothefashizle's replies...

I had hoped to use a new EVX-2 esc and Titan 12T a friend gave me ( he only used it three times ) before he went B/L lipo, but it doesn't work. I tried attaching just one battery and jumping the other battery input to work out which side ran the steering. ESC would turn on either way around or with two batteries hook up [:@] Wonder if I can send it back to Traxxas ????

CHeers, Paul
Old 09-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Always Dreamin

Many thanx for your and whothefashizle's replies...

I had hoped to use a new EVX-2 esc and Titan 12T a friend gave me ( he only used it three times ) before he went B/L lipo, but it doesn't work. I tried attaching just one battery and jumping the other battery input to work out which side ran the steering. ESC would turn on either way around or with two batteries hook up [:@] Wonder if I can send it back to Traxxas ????

CHeers, Paul
That ESC is made to run on 14.4 volts, on two inputs. You will have to do something like a 2 to 1 adapter. Or something similar.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:24 PM
beaver180

Yeah I realise that, thought I try and make use of it ( off an E-Revo ) as we don't have a money tree in the back yard. I was told by Traxxas Support and here that I could run it using just a single pack if I jumpered the other connection. Just needed to see which battery controlled the RX... anyway it's broke I think as either way I have it connected it won't turn on.

Thanks for your input.
Paul
Old 09-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Always Dreamin

Yeah I realise that, thought I try and make use of it ( off an E-Revo ) as we don't have a money tree in the back yard. I was told by Traxxas Support and here that I could run it using just a single pack if I jumpered the other connection. Just needed to see which battery controlled the RX... anyway it's broke I think as either way I have it connected it won't turn on.

Thanks for your input.
Paul
There should be two male plugs, for two batteries. One should have the +, and - together so they cancel out. The other should be connected to the battery.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:02 PM
beaver180

Yip did that, to both sides and even connected up two batteries with RX plugged in ( but no motors connected ) ESC still wouldn't light up[:@]. One battery started warming up like there was a short so quickly removed the power supplies.

Anything else I could try with this ESC?? Hmmm
Old 09-27-2008, 01:09 AM
Always Dreamin

Yip did that, to both sides and even connected up two batteries with RX plugged in ( but no motors connected ) ESC still wouldn't light up[:@]. One battery started warming up like there was a short so quickly removed the power supplies.

Anything else I could try with this ESC?? Hmmm
Try calling Traxxas. They should be able to tell you, if not Novak, the people that make the ESC.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:41 AM
JUSTPASSEDU
My Feedback: (20)

Hey guy's can you post a few links for a shock upgrade for the stampede , im not looking to spend a ton of money but something better than stock , i broke my rear bearing carrier so i upgraded with the rpm w 5x11 bearings and as i was putting them on yesterday i noticed my shafts were bent pretty bad , i tried bending them back but there not perfect , i checked ebay and integy makes a nice set but for $30 for just rear thats to much. Thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 05:24 PM
streetracer745

wait what do you mean your shafts? the screws that hold the bearing carriers on?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:07 PM
halls

Is any body running the mamba 6900 in their standpede and what gearing are you runiing im runing 3s and 2s lipo 19-90 runing to hot.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:16 PM
streetracer745

Well you really shouldnt be running 3s on the 6900 anyways... Just the high rpms alone will make it run really hot... Try taking your pinion down... 2 or 3 teeth probably. That should do fine on 2s but on 3s your are garunteed to run hot due to the high rpms...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.