Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

OFFICAL PEDE THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 10:43 PM
f150dan
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICAL PEDE THREAD

I just bought a JR XS3 3ch Synthesized radio to go along with the new brushless setup. I can't wait to get all this stuff in.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:55 PM
-Inverted-

Somebody's going on a shopping spree! But I should be having one for myself soon....
Old 04-02-2006, 11:53 PM
dustbunny1309

I'm looking at getting ball bearings soon. I of course have to open up the tranny to install them though. I've found directions on how to open the transmission up on misbehavin, but it looks kind of complicated lol. Any advice that I should know about? How long does it usually take to open up? Thanks.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:31 AM
MT 2 in Ca.

f150dan - "Totally Awesome Video!!!!"[8D][X(]

I just gotta move on with "BRUSHLESS" and "LIPO Batteries"!!!![:@]
Old 04-03-2006, 12:02 PM
crUshed420

Well, I took my stampede out for it's first bash of the season this past weekend!

My pede is completely stock, except for an ESC and 9T team checkpoint motor.

I have ordered rpm bearings and carriers, as well as an aluminum idler gear, but i was HOPING my pede would hold up to the power of my 9t motor for a few weekends before my parts arrive... alas, not the case!

A bunch of us met at a park, and setup an informal race track. I was racing against modified evaders and t4's, and for the first race I kicked their asses!!!

The big tires and clearance really helped in the park, and I was just flying over stuff that the stadium trucks had to slow down for.

During the 2nd race, my ears started to pick up on a few clicking sounds - kind of sounded like my spur/pinion weren't meshing well anymore. Although I should have just stopped right then and there to investigate, I was having too much fun and my drive to win kept me from making a pit stop... a couple laps later, and my pede wasn't moving anymore

Giving it throttle I would hear a spinning noise, but it wouldn't move. So I thought for sure I had stripped a spur gear. But when I got home to closely investigate, it wasn't a stripped spur at all!

What happened? I stripped a rear WHEEL HUB!! ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJH98&P=ML )

First, I didn't even know this was possible! The wheel nuts were all tight to begin with, so I'm not even sure how it happened.

What I ended up doing was swapping a front hub with a rear one (since you only need power on the rear wheels). I then crazy-glued all 4 hubs into the wheel so that the same thing wouldn't happen again.

Now my question is this - is this a common problem? Should I upgrade to aluminum hubs? Or will crazy-glueing work ok?

I went through 2 more batteries after my crazy-glue job and haven't had any problems since... but i'm wondering if the little steel pin will eventually trash those plastic hubs and I should upgrade to aluminum... For those running high power brushed or brushless systems, have you had similar problems and how have you fixed it?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:09 PM
f150dan

I haven't had much problem with my hex adaptors stripping. I did strip one though, but I think that was because my wheel nut came loose. I did get the blue aluminum adaptors for looks though. I have actually heard of more people having trouble with aluminum adaptors stripping the wheels, instead of people stripping plastic adaptors.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:04 PM
SS Pede

ORIGINAL: dustbunny1309

I'm looking at getting ball bearings soon. I of course have to open up the tranny to install them though. I've found directions on how to open the transmission up on misbehavin, but it looks kind of complicated lol. Any advice that I should know about? How long does it usually take to open up? Thanks.
Unless your Stampede is many years old, it already has bearings in the transmission. You just need the RPM 5x11 bearing carriers for the front and rear, and 8 5x11 bearings to go in them.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:32 PM
dustbunny1309

ORIGINAL: SS Pede

Unless your Stampede is many years old, it already has bearings in the transmission. You just need the RPM 5x11 bearing carriers for the front and rear, and 8 5x11 bearings to go in them.
Wow, really? Thats awesome! Thanks for the reply, that saved me a lot of trouble. I guess I'll pick up some bearing carriers some time then.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:13 PM
bwalker25

what is the advantage of having the RPM BB Carriers? I have a 15T Speedgem in mine now (soon to be a 12T double) and I have a 3300mah pack (its a mcnair pack) I did the old fashioned Rate = D/T and figured 90 feet in a little under 4.5seconds. So approx 15-18mph. Will my speed increase by having the new BB and Carriers? Its got a heatsink on it and geared (15turn double) 12/87 and stays pretty cool, I go up to 13/87 and its a little hot.

any suggestions, short of going brushless of course, I know I will probably end up going that someday!
Old 04-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Evader 53

Long long time since I've posted here... The advantage of having RPM bearing carriers with 5x11 bearings is that there is less friction in the wheels, which overall leads to longer run times, higher speeds, and cooler temps on your motor and ESC. If you want to go down to a 13 turn motor, chances are that the stock plastic bushings that come in the RTR stampede will melt, and will create loads of friction which will cause exactly the opposite; lower run times, lower top end speed, and hotter temps on your electronics.

15-18 mph sounds slow for a 15T motor, considering the stock stinger motor is rated at about 17 mph. With that 15T, you should be hitting well over 20

Use the gearwizard calculator to calculate if you're gearing is correct, and also check to make sure that your stock bushings haven't melted...

Maybe I'll post more later

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:05 PM
dustbunny1309

Is it still ok to use 5x8 bearings instead? I read on Misbehavin that the 5x8 bearings break very easily. Would they still work with the Stinger motor though?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:06 PM
MONSTARUSTA

Yeah I find that hard to beleive to. I had a crapy venom 15x1 in my rusty and before it blew up It was pushing 25 on 7-cells.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:28 PM
SS Pede

Is it still ok to use 5x8 bearings instead? I read on Misbehavin that the 5x8 bearings break very easily. Would they still work with the Stinger motor though?
I used 5x8 bearings for a while, and eventually broke one by landing crooked off a jump. Many others have had similar experiences. So in addition to making your Pede run smoother than with bushings, 5x11 bearings will be significantly more durable than 5x8 bearings. You will be glad to have big bearings and not have to worry about breaking them. I have never broken a 5x11 bearings, despite some pretty darn big jumps I did recently. Now, the 5x8's will definitely work speed-wise with the Stinger (heck, they worked fine with my SS5800 brushless), it's just the durability that is a concern. By the way, the stock bushings are bronze or some sort of other metal. They don't break easily at all and they don't melt. They're just slower than bearings.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:58 PM
bwalker25

I timed it again before the rain came through on a semi-fresh pack, I did 75 feet in approx 3.5 seconds = 21.43 mph. I can't break 25 to save my life, maybe i'm not charging the pack all the way? I am charging it for 2x 15 min cycles (30 mins, hobbico 900) my peak charger is on the way! I haven't tried the 13T pinion with the heatsink on the motor, so maybe I can run the 13 with the heatsink. I am waiting on my new mashers, do they come with rims? If they do then I will go ahead and glue my stock tyres and rims because they aren't glued at the moment, could the rims be spinning inside the tire?

Help me out I am new, where are the bushings so I can look to see if they are melted?

Thanks for the quick answers as always!

edit: does this matter, its being timed on a half dirt half small rock drive way, will the rocks make a huge diff?

Old 04-03-2006, 08:11 PM
MONSTARUSTA

1. The mashers don't include rims sorry.
2. The tires probly are spinning in side the rims.
3. The bushings are the golden things inside the hubs (the black things the axles to though[you need to take the tires off to see them])
4. The rocks could be making a huge difference because the tires might not be on the ground some of the time.

Did I miss any Questions?
Old 04-03-2006, 08:38 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Thanks again, it saved me from pulling mine apart too.

ORIGINAL: SS Pede

Old 04-03-2006, 08:52 PM
bwalker25

Bushings? they are those little washer lookin things? if so they aint gold, they are BLACK, black as black can be! I tried cleaning them and they are absolutely black! At any rate do I need new ones? haha dont worry I will order some!

Also 1 more of many more questions! The slipper clutch pegs are way to short and aren't really long enough to reach where they need to! should I replace them with the assoc. differential balls (do they last long)?

thanks agani for the prompt asnwers!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:05 PM
trckey2

got my self a 'pede on the way, as well as a ss5800 setup, bearings and a wheelie bar, am i a memeber of the brother hood now?
Old 04-03-2006, 09:27 PM
SS Pede

ORIGINAL: bwalker25

Bushings? they are those little washer lookin things? if so they aint gold, they are BLACK, black as black can be! I tried cleaning them and they are absolutely black! At any rate do I need new ones? haha dont worry I will order some!

Also 1 more of many more questions! The slipper clutch pegs are way to short and aren't really long enough to reach where they need to! should I replace them with the assoc. differential balls (do they last long)?

thanks agani for the prompt asnwers!
I think the little washer things you're referring to are just washers, or basically spacers on the axle to take up play. The bushings are indeed bronze-colored rings of metal that sit inside the black plastic bearing carriers. At least mine are metal and definitely not black. There are two of them supporting each axle.

What do you mean about the slipper pegs? Have you worn them out? Because if your Stampede is new they should work just fine. They don't seem long enough at first, but trust me they are. Many folks prefer diff balls instead of the stock pegs, but the pegs will work fine for the moment as long as they're newish.

trckey2 - welcome to the club dude!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:01 PM
jtsimaras

Upgrade to the RPM front and rear carriers and install some 11x5 bearings. I put a new reedy quad motor in on the weekend using a novak rooster---I've gone through 8 5x8 bearings---they are just crap.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:18 PM
jtsimaras

My friends MGT 4.60 team decided to play bumper cars---hmm i lose---at the end of the day his was pretty wrecked took a jump wrong and smushed his a arms and shocks on one side

Old 04-03-2006, 10:36 PM
jombo

wow, that looks like my truck when the shed in the back yard just jumped in front of it.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:48 AM
dustbunny1309

ORIGINAL: jtsimaras

Upgrade to the RPM front and rear carriers and install some 11x5 bearings. I put a new reedy quad motor in on the weekend using a novak rooster---I've gone through 8 5x8 bearings---they are just crap.
Ok, I guess I'll shell out the extra cash for bearing carriers then. As for bearings, will these do? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD122&P=ML
Old 04-04-2006, 02:07 AM
f150dan

CrUshed420, I'm just wondering how you gearing your truck to keep the 9T motor cool?
Old 04-04-2006, 03:29 AM
shadowsilverxe

Hi all, i was wondering if anyone has "aired their rims" as described at misbehavin? i did this to my stock pede rims because the stock tires always seemed to get flat spots after jumps. but now i have a new set of rims and am going to mount masher 2k's to them, and wanted to know if anyone did this because i am not sure if i should "air" them, especially to aftermarket rims and tires. would foam inserts help? i dont use inserts now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.