Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Need help with gear selection

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Jailhouseracer87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with gear selection

I have an Associated Rc10T4 SE, and have upgraded it to the following. Carbon parts, aluminum front blukhead, titanium turn buckles, Streak forward only speed controller, and a Epic "shock" 10turn flat wire motor. At first i was having a problem og burning holes in the bottom of my packs(3000n-mh). i currently have a 16 tooth pinion gear, and the factory 87tooth spur gear.....anyone have a similar setup...and any suggestions. Im new to this hobby, and would jus like sum advice...thanks
Old 02-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Jailhouseracer87

Default RE: Need help with gear selection

anybody?..i kno someone can give a noob sum advice...
Old 02-06-2006, 09:09 AM
speed_racer

also seems at wide open throttle, that my steering kinda "freezes" when i turn it one way, but when i let off the throttle slightly, my steering works as its suppose to...and ideas there?
Old 02-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Jailhouseracer87

come on guys...gimme sum responses....i read the sticky up top...but jus would like a general idea of what i should try. Also, what do yall think of the Epic Shock, 10turn motor...the good and bad if any...thanks alot.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Jailhouseracer87

Nobody eh?...gonna tinker with it at lunch time, so if anyone has sum helpful advice, please feel free to lemme kno...thanks
Old 02-06-2006, 06:13 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

I looked up the streak ESC's spec and the motor limit is at 12t, and you are using a 10t flat - that is just to much for you ESC, on motor limits the lower the T number the hotter the motor, means draws more power, and technically means a faster motor (depends on the brand)

That's why your battery is getting too hot, check your ESC too after run - this will be probably hot too. I am surprised you have not burned it yet.

With the pinion gear, what was the stock number of teeth did you switch from, if you are running to hot, I can only suggest to get a smaller pinion gear - or a bigger spur gear.

Same with the freezing steering, the steering servo is not getting enough power, the motor is drawing all the power from the batteries at full throttle, I dont think the streak is equiped with a "Radio Priority Circuitry".

So, you can either get a 12t motor or higher or switch to a better ESC.

That's only my opinion.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Jailhouseracer87

Thanks....When i bought this esc, i was told that there are people running 10t, even 8t with this esc....but i was also a bit skeptical. I really like the motor, so ill probably just upgrade the esc yet again. What are sum good, but not top of the line esc's? i want one that will definately handel this 10t motor...or even if anyone has an extra or used one layin around that they might wanna sell?....thanks for the help...i was begining to wonder if anyone was gonna respond.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:59 PM
kostaktinos_mt

the streak can handle pretty good. just add a small fan to blow air on its heatsink, and it will hold up fine....
Old 02-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Jailhouseracer87

If it wouldnt glitch my steering like it does, then id continue using it. But i have no steering when at WOT. Jus for curiosity, i hooked up a buddys super rooster esc, and ran 3 packs throu it just fine. steering worked great, motor didnt get hot, and the esc was jus slightly warn..not hot at all, so im probably gonna go with a new esc...either one with no motor limit, or one for a 10t, or even 8t.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:17 AM
kostaktinos_mt

r u sure you installed the capacitors that came with the esc? and the scotchy diode?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Jailhouseracer87

Ill double check my box, but i dont think it came with any diodes or caps. If i do need them, where do i install them at?...any wiring diagrams i can look at online to maybe help?...thanks for the responses, im really new to this hobby, and am still learning the tricks of the trade.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:45 PM
kostaktinos_mt

capacitors are needed to filter the electromagnetic feedback noise from the motor to the esc and receiver, thus preventing glitches and allowing smooth control. you will need 3: one from the positive motor lead to the motor can, one from the negative motor lead to the can and one between the two motor leads. check your esc manual for the capacity of the capacitors to be used, or buy 3 sets [3pieces each set] of: 0.1uF, 0,01uF, 0,01uF and test-drive each time you install a set. you will also need a scotchy diode 100%. that diode is used for non-reversible ESCs such as the streak. check the streak product info page at towerhobbies.