Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Hop ups for my Traxxas Rustler.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 07:12 PM
hyperasus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hop ups for my Traxxas Rustler.

I just got a Rustler and now I need upgrades. I have Masher 2000 tires and a brushless system on order which should be here sometime this week. I found this chassis here. [link=http://www.rcm-rc.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=29&osCsid=fee7d8ba2b78a67613c513c1a19315fa]G-10 Chassis Kit[/link] It says its made out of G-10 Garolite. What is G-10 Garolite and is it any good? I would buy carbon fiber for my rustler but I cannot find any carbon fiber upgrades.

Also, I need to know what are the best shocks to buy for the rustler; and any other upgrades that you could recommend that would improve my new toy.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:32 PM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Hop ups for my Traxxas Rustler.

Do you have rpm bearing carriers? If not then you need to pick osme of those up for the front and rear (just look on tower for all of this stuff) and then 8 5x11 bearings. Then get an aluminum idler gear because the brushless motor is going to shred the stock plastic one in no time. Also evader shocks fit the rusty so just get any pair of those and if you want a new body then atomik makes bodies for the rc10gt that fit the rusty as if they were made for it.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:38 PM
happywing

Well, it really depends what you want to do. I'll assume that since you chose a Rustler, you're not interested in racing. That leads me to the question, why the aftermarket chassis? As for shocks, the stock ones are OK if you get aluminum caps for them.
Since you are going brushless, you should get:

RPM oversized bearing carriers front and rear
Aluminum Idler for your transmission (your BL will strip the stock idler quickly).
Steel Output Yokes
Street Sport stub axles

With the Mashers, you should probably gear it more like a Stampede, with an 87 tooth spur gear and 15-18 tooth pinion.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:55 PM
hyperasus

Thanks guys. I am now checking in to all those parts you just mentioned. I will mostly be bashing\jumping my rusty. I would like to get the weight down a little if possible which is the reason I am looking at the new chassis. I already have the masher 2000 tires on it and they did amazing things for the handling(now my rusty goes wherever I point the front tires). I also have a stock losi xxx-t. My POS xxx-t breaks every time I run it. The rusty never breaks. The dirt where I live is very powdery so it eats up those stock shocks like a light snack. I haven't even had my rusty for a week and already the shocks don't spring back up when I push them down. I need the best shocks money can buy along with some kind of a boot or cover to protect them from the dirt.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:02 PM
capone12

I think mf2 shocks are pretty good. Anybody know if losi mf2 shocks will fit the rusty? I was thinking about bidding on some for my rusty because Ive heard so many good things about the mf2. Id say that the mf2 shocks are the best ones you can buy because that the most reccomended race truck on this forum (electric forum btw..) beside the t4. Speed has a mf2 and a pede (I think) any chance you can try and see if the mf2 shocks fit on the pede? If they do then most likely they will work with the rusty too.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:25 PM
RCAdmin1
Banned

THAT PICE OF SH IT ISNT WORK UPGRADING.THROW IT AWAY.IM DOING YOU A FAVOR!
Old 02-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Rare

how come no1 uses the Rustler Thread anymore....[]
Old 02-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Rare

Lets all go the Official Rustler Thread
Old 02-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Rampede

ORIGINAL: hyperasus

I just got a Rustler and now I need upgrades. I have Masher 2000 tires and a brushless system on order which should be here sometime this week. I found this chassis here. [link=http://www.rcm-rc.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=29&osCsid=fee7d8ba2b78a67613c513c1a19315fa]G-10 Chassis Kit[/link] It says its made out of G-10 Garolite. What is G-10 Garolite and is it any good? I would buy carbon fiber for my rustler but I cannot find any carbon fiber upgrades.

Also, I need to know what are the best shocks to buy for the rustler; and any other upgrades that you could recommend that would improve my new toy.

ALUMINUM IDLER, that should be your main priority if your goin brushless. aluminum idleraluminum idleraluminum idleraluminum idleraluminum idler. Cant say it enough, with the power from the brushlesss...you will kill the idler in like 1-3 runs, no doubt. Next...well capone and happy wing already said the rest. Lol they said the alu idler too but you HAVE to get that that is just a must have. And you dont have to get rid of the steal top gear, it says you do but you dont not if your going brushless
Old 02-07-2006, 09:04 PM
capone12

ORIGINAL: Rampede

ALUMINUM IDLER, that should be your main priority if your goin brushless. aluminum idleraluminum idleraluminum idleraluminum idleraluminum idler. Cant say it enough, with the power from the brushlesss...you will kill the idler in like 1-3 runs, no doubt. Next...well capone and happy wing already said the rest. Lol they said the alu idler too but you HAVE to get that that is just a must have. And you dont have to get rid of the steal top gear, it says you do but you dont not if your going brushless
It says you are supposed to get a plastic top gear but thats stupid. He's right, just stick with the stock top gear. I still run mine with the aluminum idler gear and I havent had any glitching at all using the stock radio. No noise, nothing from it. The bad thing is that I actually bought one of those stupid top gears. Wasted part. Dont need it and there is no reason to use it. Heck, I didnt even bother to grease the transmission other than the gunk that was already in there so I think you'll be even better off if you grease it.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Rare

im running a Novak SS5800 in my rusty...I know i need a 15T pinion and a aluminum idler....but wich spur?....how many teeth?

EDIT:do i need a spur?
Old 02-08-2006, 01:00 AM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Thanks guys. I am now checking in to all those parts you just mentioned. I will mostly be bashing\jumping my rusty. I would like to get the weight down a little if possible which is the reason I am looking at the new chassis. I already have the masher 2000 tires on it and they did amazing things for the handling(now my rusty goes wherever I point the front tires). I also have a stock losi xxx-t. My POS xxx-t breaks every time I run it. The rusty never breaks. The dirt where I live is very powdery so it eats up those stock shocks like a light snack. I haven't even had my rusty for a week and already the shocks don't spring back up when I push them down. I need the best shocks money can buy along with some kind of a boot or cover to protect them from the dirt.
How do you drive your Losi? A Losi isn't nearly as tough bashing wise as a Rustler, so it couldn't survive the bash and crash punishment a Rustler could. I mean, RCs don't just break by looking at them.

EDIT:do i need a spur?
Yes, in order to get power from the motor to the top gear in the tranny, you need a spur gear. [X(]
Old 02-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Rare

i meant[>:][X(] do i need a BETTER spur
Old 02-08-2006, 02:48 AM
hyperasus

How do you drive your Losi? A Losi isn't nearly as tough bashing wise as a Rustler, so it couldn't survive the bash and crash punishment a Rustler could. I mean, RCs don't just break by looking at them.
Me and my brothers bash on some hills we have in the back yard. There are no races in my area so I need a tuff basher more then a fast racing rc. Sometimes me and my bros smack in to each other on the hills. Every time this happens the rustler drives away without a scratch and something on the xxxt is broken(usually that retarded front bulkhead which is the hardest part to replace). If there was a company smart enough to make aluminum or carbon fiber parts for the xxxt then I would stick with the xxxt. But there isn't so I have no choice but to resort to the tried and true traxxas rustler.