Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Evader BX Pro/Reedy Quad 19T/Gearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Grimdeath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evader BX Pro/Reedy Quad 19T/Gearing?

I threw a Reedy Quad 19T into my Evader BX Pro (thank you all for the recommendations everyone), added a 7-cell nicad pack, and the performance increase over the stock 15T is quite noticable.

I'm still using the stock 88T spur and 18T pinion, as well as stock 12T ESC.
Is there any reason I wouldn't want to put the 86T spur and 20T pinion in this puppy for some more kick?
According to the "how to" gear selection guide, the stock setup has a ratio of ~-1.7 (geared for a little torque).
With my new 3.6" diam tires, 86T spur and 20T pinion, the final ration would be -0.171 (as close to zero as I can get).

And recommendations?

Old 02-10-2006, 04:11 PM
gunnut

Default RE: Evader BX Pro/Reedy Quad 19T/Gearing?

sounds like a good idea to me. Try doing one thing at a time. change out the spur first and take note of how much hotter the motor/esc is getting. If that goes well change the pinion too. Good luck [8D]
Old 02-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Speedbasher

That is an awesome motor. Very torquey. I too have the Evader Pro, and the numbers you are getting from the Gearwizard Calculator are wrong. Or, at least they are different from what I got a few weeks ago. See my post about the Gearwizard Problem. Hopfully someone clears that up. Anyway, when all is said and done, I would get my final ratio slightly on the plus side, still under 1 of course. That motor will still deliver plenty of torque, but you will gain some top end. No real need to change the spur, just go up with your pinions. Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Grimdeath

ORIGINAL: Speedbasher

That is an awesome motor. Very torquey. I too have the Evader Pro, and the numbers you are getting from the Gearwizard Calculator are wrong. Or, at least they are different from what I got a few weeks ago. See my post about the Gearwizard Problem. Hopfully someone clears that up. Anyway, when all is said and done, I would get my final ratio slightly on the plus side, still under 1 of course. That motor will still deliver plenty of torque, but you will gain some top end. No real need to change the spur, just go up with your pinions. Hope this helps.
I noticed the same problem with the Wizard; my latest calcs are different from last weeks. However, the calculations above are correct as I did them by hand (they are the same numbers the wizards also churned a week or so ago).

I've read other posts where people have said an 88 tooth spur is ideal, and, if given the choice, they'd rather change the pinion. I have no problem doing so, but how big of a pinion can we mount using the 88 tooth spur (thinking about the mounting holes for motor travel, etc). Sure I could buy a 24T 48P pinion, but will it fit? (ps. what are you running in yours?)
Old 02-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Speedbasher

The pinion just tightens right to the armature of the motor, so you can use any size you want. There is plenty of travel. Just loosen the two screws holding the motor, slide it way back, put the new pinion on, then slide the motor to where the pinion and spur will mesh properly, and tighten down the motor. Make sure the mesh is perfect. I have the lrp sphere/reedy neo 1 brushless, so I went way up to a 26 tooth pinion. A 24 tooth should be good for you. Just remember to check temps on esc and motor to make sure everything is fine.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:25 PM
EVADERCHAOS

Don't forget...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38..._1/key_/tm.htm