Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New Rustler owner has a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 08:39 PM
barnett25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rustler owner has a few questions...

I just got a new Rustler RTR ESC truck, and having never owned an RC before I have a couple questions about driving them.

1. With a stock rustler (or any rc), is it bad to go into reverse while still moving forwards at full speed since I don't have a brake?

2. What kind of run time do you usually get with 3000mAh battery and stock Rustler motor?

3. Is the run time effected much by upgrading the stock ESC to a quality name brand model?

4. If I upgraded to the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKUX5&P=ML]Novak SS Brushless system[/link] would I strip out my transmission gears and stuff? What would I need to upgrade to handle that motor?
Old 02-11-2006, 08:50 PM
TeamTFR
My Feedback: (45)

Default RE: New Rustler owner has a few questions...

I think I can help alittle....

1. By going from foward to reverse, it applies a brake and doesn't go right into reverse. I haven't had an electric rc that you can't go from forward to reverse....nitro is different tho.

4. With a brushless setup in a Rustler you will want to put in an aluminum idler gear.

Another suggestion is to get the RPM wide front bumper and RPM front and rear bearing carriers.

I think I got that right....if not....maybe someone else can say...
Old 02-11-2006, 09:05 PM
gunnut

About the novak brushless system:

Lots of people have problems with running the novak brushless systems with AM radios (I'm one of them). So now I'm upgrading to an FM radio which cost me a little over $100. Had I known about this problem I would have gone with a different brand of brushless. I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with other brands.
Even though they may be more expensive than Novak, you may need to buy a 100-200 radio system just to get the novak to run correctly.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Eugeit

I have the 3300mah batteries and I get about 15-20 minutes of run time. Mind you it's not all full throttle either.
About going from F to R, I really don't know. I had read something in here about it, but can't remember where. Im sure going full throttle from one direction to the other can't be good. I've been trying to go from forward to slight rev. enough to make the tires skid but not really enough to make the spin backwards.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:19 PM
barnett25

Should I look into a ESC that has forward, reverse, and braking?
Old 02-11-2006, 09:22 PM
barnett25

ORIGINAL: gunnut

Lots of people have problems with running the novak brushless systems with AM radios (I'm one of them). So now I'm upgrading to an FM radio which cost me a little over $100. Had I known about this problem I would have gone with a different brand of brushless. I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with other brands.
Even though they may be more expensive than Novak, you may need to buy a 100-200 radio system just to get the novak to run correctly.
Thanks for the info on the novak, I had no idea.

I am thinking about getting a better radio though (but still an AM). The one that came in the RTR kit seems to be hard to control. It has a really limited amount that you can turn the stearing wheel, making every little twitch cause a large movement at the car. Is this something that a better radio would rectify, or are they all like that?
Old 02-11-2006, 09:29 PM
barnett25

ORIGINAL: r34gtr1999

1. By going from foward to reverse, it applies a brake and doesn't go right into reverse. I haven't had an electric rc that you can't go from forward to reverse....nitro is different tho.
I think that only applies to ESC that have a brake though. I'm pretty sure from what I've read that the ESC that comes with the Rustler is forward/reverse only.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:42 PM
TeamTFR
My Feedback: (45)

I had the traxxas esc....it did fine from full forward to full reverse.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:51 PM
barnett25

ORIGINAL: r34gtr1999

I had the traxxas esc....it did fine from full forward to full reverse.
Ok, well that takes care of that question then.
Thanks.

I guess the only thing I still would like to know is if upgrading the ESC would make a big difference in battery life (or performance).
Old 02-11-2006, 10:01 PM
gunnut

ORIGINAL: barnett25

I am thinking about getting a better radio though (but still an AM). The one that came in the RTR kit seems to be hard to control. It has a really limited amount that you can turn the stearing wheel, making every little twitch cause a large movement at the car. Is this something that a better radio would rectify, or are they all like that?
I've used a Futaba 2PL (AM 75mhz) and it has better feel than the stock controller. It has 10 model memory so you can use it for more than one car/truck/boat. There's a little toggle button where your thumb rests and it adjusts steering sensitivity. You can adjust it without even taking your eyes off the truck! You can also adjust how far the servo will travel. I'd recommend it if you plan on upgrading to a better AM system. [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXENN3**&P=7]Futaba 2PL[/link]
Old 02-11-2006, 10:28 PM
barnett25

I've used a Futaba 2PL (AM 75mhz) and it has better feel than the stock controller. It has 10 model memory so you can use it for more than one car/truck/boat. There's a little toggle button where your thumb rests and it adjusts steering sensitivity. You can adjust it without even taking your eyes off the truck! You can also adjust how far the servo will travel. I'd recommend it if you plan on upgrading to a better AM system. [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXENN3**&P=7]Futaba 2PL[/link]
That's actually the radio I have been thinking about getting. I had seen good reviews on other sites. But I never really knew if it would solve the small degree of turning that was present on the stock radio.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:49 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

I just got a new Rustler RTR ESC truck, and having never owned an RC before I have a couple questions about driving them.

1. With a stock rustler (or any rc), is it bad to go into reverse while still moving forwards at full speed since I don't have a brake?

2. What kind of run time do you usually get with 3000mAh battery and stock Rustler motor?

3. Is the run time effected much by upgrading the stock ESC to a quality name brand model?

4. If I upgraded to the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKUX5&P=ML]Novak SS Brushless system[/link] would I strip out my transmission gears and stuff? What would I need to upgrade to handle that motor?
1.) From my experience, it just makes the motor and ESC hot...

2.) 15 mins or so

3.) Umm...you might be off with a better motor/ESC than a ESC alone. I just keep mine stock because that is how the engineers designed the truck, and I don't want to mess with thier design by getting hopups like a aftermarket ESC/motor and stuff. The only hopup on my truck is Pro-line Dirt Works rear tires because the stock ones go bald fast. (guess I'm a hipocrit then )

4.) A aluminum idler gear, and bearings and bearing carriers from RPM. See the last sentence in answer number three.

Hope you enjoy you're truck!

Old 02-11-2006, 10:53 PM
-Inverted-

Use the search button in the upper right corner, everything has been posted 1,000,000,000,000 times, the rustler is that popular, strangely I dont know why [&:].....
Old 02-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Eugeit

I'm not sure if they can do all 3 things. I'm new at this too.
From what I understand, some do F & brake, some do F & R. I think what I read before mentioned one that had F & R, but would pause for a few seconds before engaging reverse. If it doesn't wear out the trans it will cause the motor to overheat.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:37 PM
gunnut

They do exist. I had a duratrax intellispeed esc --it was like $38 from tower. It had brake and reverse but would normally kick into reverse before it came to a complete stop. the novak SS speed control (what I'm using now) has excellent braking and will only go into reverse from a complete stop. I was really impressed with it's braking.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:11 AM
Eugeit

Cool, Thanks....I'm just now learning about these things. The Novak...is that for brushless?
Old 02-12-2006, 01:22 AM
gunnut

It can be used for brushed and brushless motors, but I think it's mainly set up for brushless. Reverse can be locked out too, for racing.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:25 AM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

They do exist. I had a duratrax intellispeed esc --it was like $38 from tower. It had brake and reverse but would normally kick into reverse before it came to a complete stop. the novak SS speed control (what I'm using now) has excellent braking and will only go into reverse from a complete stop. I was really impressed with it's braking.
Same here. I have a Novak SS5800 in my XXX-T and I really like the braking. It essentially has standard locking brakes, but thats good for when you need to slam the brakes to avoid 1:1 cars. Or, smooth to moderate brakes to come to a nice stop.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:57 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

The rustler does not have brakes, if it's the msc or the traxxas xl-1. They both have just forward and reverse. Slamming back and forth is great fun and wheelies and slides and is also harder on the truck than stopping first. I doubt that upgrading the esc will increase any runtime noticeably.