Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Im having problems deciding between what Brushless System :(

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Im having problems deciding between what Brushless System :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 03:15 PM
WhyteBoi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im having problems deciding between what Brushless System :(

Ok, I got the RTR t4, cause its a good price, and you get all the electronics.

So now I want to get brushless, since I need matinince-free (SP?) stuff. I have the 17 turn motor, and I guess its really slow. I do mostly bashing, cause my local place only has sedan stuff.I heard lehner is good, but expensive.

I have decided on the 6.5 I am pretty sure... But I have heard A lot of people like the Mtroniks pro w/ a Feigao 380c 6t or 7t. I also heard about the Neo combo.

Im looking to spend 250$ or less. I am so newb on this stuff. I called the LHS cause my car stuttered after 10 feet. Eneded up not putting antenna in (radio shack cars work without antenna I guess.... : /, lol) I know common stuff. Ive taken the motor guard off, to change pinion, so im not totaly mechanicly stupid.

I need to buy everything in one purchase.

Now... questions about the Brushless setups...

1. Do I have to do any soldering?
2. Is it compatable to all the other electronics on my vehicle?
3. Will it fit perfect in the motor mount?
4. How much speed can I hope for... I believe I switched it to a 18 pinion for more torque. Or.. if it came with a 18, I put a 20 in.
5. Will I be able to pop wheelies?
6. How does your burshless system work in your stadium truck?
7. How long from when I open the box(with my order) , will it take from open to running the t4?

Yeah... any suggestions would be nice.

I just want this t4 to compete with nitro.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:17 PM
R/C fan-addict

Default RE: Im having problems deciding between what Brushless System :(

um if you want the best just get the Novak GTB and it'll accept almost all motors. I don't know much about hacker and feigao so yeah...
Old 02-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Viper 15

I would go with the neo/sphere. THe novaks seem to have a glitching problems unless you have a really good radio. I think you can get about 40+ mph and I'm pretty sure you can pop some wheelies.

1. Yes
2.Should be
3. Yes
4.You'll need to drop a few teeth on the pinnion.(not sure how many though)
5.yes
6. Don't have one, yet.
7.As long as it takes to secure the esc, connect it to the rx, screw in motor, program esc, connect to motor. For me approx 15-20min.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:53 PM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

okay....i don't know everything but I've doing a lot of research and here's what I found. 1) Some require soldering and others don't depending on make/model. 2)Most, if not all, will be compatible with your electronics currently on board your truck. 3)If you truck accepts .05 motors(I know it does) then they'll fit. 4)Speed should increase as well as efficiency. I have read that you should start with 2-3 teeth SMALLER pinion at first....checking temp as you run it...and go up from that point....if it's not getting too hot. 5)Depends on your balance....but I know of a traxxas rustler that does wheelies. 6)I don't have a brushless in my stadium truck. 7)I heard that the Novak(don't know which one they are refering to) can be install by a beginner in about 1-2 hours. Would include removal of old system, installation of new, and "tidying up" the install(wire ties, etc) I've also read from reviews that the novak system sometimes has short leads...but they tend to make them work out ok. Hope this helps....even though I admit I DO NOT own a brushless system and that I am not an expert. Laters.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:29 PM
jdmkyosho
Banned

Look at the other 5542348 brushless threads.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:00 PM
WhyteBoi

I did...

I do not have as much money as the other threads. Im using an offroad, with rtr bad electronics. Im looking for something not too hard to put in or install. I havent seen a thread with all those variables.

Most people have had bad experiences with some systems too..

Gtb - 6 cells
Neo - 7 cells
Mtroniks - 8 cells

Is that right?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:42 PM
WhyteBoi

I have decided Mtroniks pro w/ a Feigao 380c 6t or 7t. Should I go 6t or 7t?

I need a site on how to solder/connect all this stuff and what equipment I will need.

Whats your experience with this setup in your offroad vehicle, and how will it compare versus nitro?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2006, 11:24 PM
-Inverted-

Id go 6 turn, You will obviously need a soldering iron to do this.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:32 AM
stockerbrian

I have the Novak GTB and 6.5 motor in my FT RC10B4. To avoid excess soldering do not break the factory connections between the esc and motor. Just get creative with the routing, up to disassembling part of the transmission, braces etc. Then you'll only have to solder on your battery connections. Also I would definately recommend you go FM with this setup. I use the Futaba 3pm. It's only 120$ for transmitter & receiver. Works good-no glitching. Also when installing the GTB make sure you don't place your esc against the tub sidewalls. They can conduct (if graphite chassis) and create interference or worse fry your esc. I've had great luck with mine and love the setup. Good Luck!
Old 02-16-2006, 03:36 PM
WhyteBoi

ORIGINAL: cadillac_kid28

Id go 6 turn, You will obviously need a soldering iron to do this.
Ok, I just need a site on how to do all of this. I also have NO idea how to program at all. So I need some tutorial for both. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:30 AM
happywing

Don't be afraid of soldering. If you're in this hobby for any period of time, you'll have to solder. Read a little about it and practice a little bit. You'll have it down in no time.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:29 PM
WhyteBoi

I am not afraid of it, I just need to know how to do it, (need a site)lol.

My new brushless system, I am just going to upgrade to deans.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Would that work for what I need to do?

I also have NO idea how to program, lol
Old 02-17-2006, 03:31 PM
rcmaster123
My Feedback: (3)

There is a new novak 4.5 turn coming out, that will probably be the best
Old 02-17-2006, 03:44 PM
WhyteBoi

ORIGINAL: rcmaster123

There is a new novak 4.5 turn coming out, that will probably be the best
I already got the Mtroniks Genesis pro w/ a Feigao 380c6t.

I hear how every one got the novak, then upgraded, and I am not going to go through that. Plus I hear this is 2nd best sensorless combo for smoothness.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Flyojumper

I'm not sure I'd be so easy to call it an "upgrade".
Besides the speed advantage, I don't see a single advantage to sensorless and I've read a number of topics on them.
Sensored offers no cogging whatsoever and also higher efficiency and run time (caused by the reading of the rotor position so no waste of energy, maybe there's another cause too).
Also with the 5.5r and 4.5r you are already looking at speeds well in excess of 40mph. I even heard quite a few people say that the 4.5r may be overkill on traction/speed for 2wd, so I don't see why there would be a need to have EVEN faster than the 4.5r.
A few extra mph VS no cogging and higher run times, it's a matter of opinion not a clear cut "upgrade" if you ask me.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:55 PM
WhyteBoi

On the forum I did my research on, almost EVERY member reccomended sensorless. These are people who have owned a novak system, and wanted to upgrade. Then people complain and they all say "shoudve gone sensorless" Sensorless handles way mroe cells too.

I cant change now, I have already ordered...
Old 02-17-2006, 06:11 PM
thekaboom

The soldering iron that you linked to is not good enough. You'll probably want atleast 60 watts

Here is a link on building a battery pack

[link=http://www.balakracing.com/buildingbatterypacks.htm]Battery pack[/link]

[link=http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/build_battery.asp]another[/link]
Old 02-17-2006, 06:15 PM
dalllas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rochester hills, thats only 2.5 hours away, maby sometime we could race if we ever see eachother, brushless againsts brushless, you with your T4 with a fiego in it and me with my MF2 with either my spher/ neo combo, or my velocity5.5/GTB combo, if your ever in the area, PM me (im in grand rapids) good luck with your crazy fast T4. you will definately need a new radio system with all of that, youll nvever hit top speed because it will go out of range. i recommend a spektufm, i have one in my TC4, its a good price, you get 2 servos, 2 receivers and a radio of 200$ if i remember right.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Access

When I dropped a Neo 13-turn into my MF2 I didn't have to solder anything but the connectors. You will need a new ESC. Most are similar sized so they will fit just fine in the motor mount. Speed depends on how you gear it, my MF2 is intentionally undergeared (by 2) and I'm guessing around 35mph, maybe 40mph tops. It can easily pop wheelies, provided the slipper is tight. For me, the Neo's speed is underwhelming, compared to the Mamba in my mini-T (also undergeared), but the low-end torque and power is nice and the transition from low to high speed is very smooth. And the motor runs cool, no need for a heatsink, with a 4800mAh LiPo I'm hoping for 30min runtimes. So overall, I'm pretty happy with the Neo. But I think if raw speed is what you want, wait for the 'mamba max' due out soon. It took me about 20 minutes to install the Neo. I don't know much about the other systems like Novak, Hacker, etc. My only gripe about the sphere ESC is that it will go straight from brake to reverse in fwd/rev mode.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:42 PM
WhyteBoi

ORIGINAL: Access

When I dropped a Neo 13-turn into my MF2 I didn't have to solder anything but the connectors. You will need a new ESC. Most are similar sized so they will fit just fine in the motor mount. Speed depends on how you gear it, my MF2 is intentionally undergeared (by 2) and I'm guessing around 35mph, maybe 40mph tops. It can easily pop wheelies, provided the slipper is tight. For me, the Neo's speed is underwhelming, compared to the Mamba in my mini-T (also undergeared), but the low-end torque and power is nice and the transition from low to high speed is very smooth. And the motor runs cool, no need for a heatsink, with a 4800mAh LiPo I'm hoping for 30min runtimes. So overall, I'm pretty happy with the Neo. But I think if raw speed is what you want, wait for the 'mamba max' due out soon. It took me about 20 minutes to install the Neo. I don't know much about the other systems like Novak, Hacker, etc. My only gripe about the sphere ESC is that it will go straight from brake to reverse in fwd/rev mode.
lol, does anyone read past the first post? I have already BOUGHT, and cant change now. I guess I am going to have to buy ALL new electronics, lol. Yeah it does get out of range pretty easy.

I dunno how I am going to compare versus Nitro though. I should hit 50mph on 7 cells, so I am excited. So all new electronics for 200$, : / I just spent like all my money, oh well. Time to do chours...