Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Emaxx durability questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 09:13 AM
robl45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emaxx durability questions

Hi,
Had a couple of questions about the Emaxx. First, Has anyone had problems with the batteries getting damaged from hard bashing? Second, the truck itself, is it durable? Everyone keeps saying it breaks but Traxxas is bashing the crap out of the Tmaxx on their website vids and their dvd and it doesn't seem to be breaking. I raced R/C cars for years and am not going to be driving into a tree or anything (I'd expect it to break if I did), but I do want to do crazy jumps and stuff and not be replacing parts every time, nor do I want to sink heavy dollars into this. Thanks for any help.

Rob
Old 02-15-2006, 10:59 AM
-Inverted-

Default RE: Emaxx durability questions

Check the thread right below this "emaxx or ezilla". It can be some have had better luck then others, all in all it depends what you want to do with it.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:27 PM
robl45

Yea, I took a look in there, mostly seems people just bashing the truck they don't like, curious to hear from people that actually own the emaxx.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:42 PM

oh my god i hope this will not start a hudge argument[] i have an E-maxx and it is very durable and if you do break any thing you can order parts from www.rpmrcproducts.com and they will replace them for free if they ever break. the main problem ive been having is breaking boy posts that is it and ive been doing some crazy stuff. like jumping down stairs and off huge ramps and also driving it at a construction site so. its up to you what you want.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:47 PM
robl45

what about the bulkheads, everyone says they break bulkheads? And have you had any problems damaging the batteries? I plan to go insane on this truck, want to beat the crap out of it and have fun.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:58 PM
ncbasher

The bulkheads will break if you have a bad landing off a jump, say landing on the front left tire only like i did the other day. However, it cracked just slightly and i was able to take the hingpin out and bend it back, put it back in and continue on. The body posts are pretty weak. I blew one rear diff. Also broke one center drive, and one rear axle shaft. I think the rear axle broke from excess stress from having a spool in the rear diff. I put the spool in after stripping the first ring gear in the stock diff. Bumpers and bumper mounts have also been replaced. I feel these are just normal wear items, especially considering this is my first hobby grade RC and im still learning.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:55 PM

hahahahah lol that is so funny i just broke a bulk head just 5 mins before i got on lol do you no of any good ones?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:23 PM
R/C fan-addict

the emaxx is awesome! The durability is fine. I haven't broken a part yet in over 9 months of ownership. I've driven it down stairs, drove it off 3' ledges, jumped it 25', batteries are fine in their holders. Once I made a plastic sheet that went underneath the chassis braces and would hold the batteries and when I took a big jump the batteries fell out and got kinda scraped but as long as you use the standard battery holders you'll be fine.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:37 PM

ya but other than that it works great its good.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:44 PM
robl45

I'm originally from Boston, used to hang out in Worcestor all the time. Anyway, At least it sounds like it can be durable. So why do the bulkheads keep breaking and can anything be done about it? I've seen aluminum ones but they are like 70 bucks for one. As for the batteries, even with 7 cells, they don't break apart or anything?
Old 02-15-2006, 09:55 PM

dude you can get aluminum bulk heads for 25 bucks and i have two 7cell packs in mine rite now it is ballistic and the bulk heads dont break to awsome i just landed upside down with no body on[:@] so always leave a body on kids lol
Old 02-15-2006, 10:07 PM
robl45

man, this decision is so hard. I really like the emaxx for ease of use and noise level, but the revo is so damn sweet.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:19 PM
-Inverted-

E-revo is better....
Old 02-15-2006, 10:22 PM
robl45

erevo doesn't have parts availability, its 600 bucks and so far, the company that makes it can't seem to make a faster motor for the emaxx. Plus, the revo can go like crazy for 200 bucks extra.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:17 PM
-Inverted-

erevo doesn't have parts availability, its 600 bucks and so far, the company that makes it can't seem to make a faster motor for the emaxx. Plus, the revo can go like crazy for 200 bucks extra.
WHAT???? E-revo uses many of the parts a regular revo does. Its $500, You need to get outside a single company for parts. If your waiting for traxxas to make better motors heres a hint: IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. If your looking for better motors a brushless system from hacker, novak, castle creations, or lehner is they way to go.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:42 PM
R/C fan-addict

yeah the erevo roller is $550 plus a good bl system that's $800 then add $80 in wheels n tires, $150 in a radio, $70 in some good batteries, a body $30 and that's 1130!
that's the price of over 3 emaxxs! almost 4! Of course the erevo will leave any emaxx in the dust but $1130! That's more than I spent in all of 2005 on 3 cars!
Old 02-16-2006, 12:22 AM
-Inverted-

What kinda brushless system are we talking about here, even a good brushless system shouldnt cost anymore then 500, 600 at the max.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:19 AM
rhylsadar

hi

I plan to go insane on this truck, want to beat the crap out of it and have fun.
if you really want to do this. you should think about buying together the single parts for an e maxx and not buy the model itself. to make the maxx stand "insane" bashing there are not so many routes to go. think about the stuff from unlimited engineering, fast lane machine, great assembly, hardcore racing and stuff like that.
the rather "weak" alum parts from integy etc might look nice and are somewhat more durable than plastic if used at the right spot, but they are far from beeing supertough.
the e revo sold with the G2R chassis is very nice. but it is designed as a racer not a basher.
and yes to make a truck go really fast with BL and durable you have to spent some serious money. that is just a fact. like it or not.

bye
rhylsadar

Old 02-16-2006, 03:21 PM
R/C fan-addict

ORIGINAL: cadillac_kid28

What kinda brushless system are we talking about here, even a good brushless system shouldnt cost anymore then 500, 600 at the max.
no I meant the chassis plus a hv maxx equals $800 together. If you're gonna build from the ground up get an erevo cause it can bash. If you're up for a project buy a savage then rip out all the nitro gear and stick in bl. But bang for the buck I would go with the emaxx.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:05 PM
happywing

Had an E-Maxx. Sold the E-Maxx. Money pit.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:30 PM
1troy7
My Feedback: (28)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one, I like mine. Yes, the body posts do not take kindly to hard up-side down landings. I have never had a problem with anything other than the body posts. I like them, but to each their own[8D]