Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Computer power supply.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer power supply.

I was wondering if a power supply from a computer could be made to power a standard dc battery charger like a mellinium or 969. If so what kind of specs should I look for(as I don't want it to be 2 powerful) Thanks
Old 02-18-2006, 07:55 PM

Default RE: Computer power supply.

any pc power supply capable of delivering at least 5amps [minimum] at the 12V output will be OK. i use an old 300W one, which gives 15 amps at 12V and i use both the e-zilla`s GT charger and the Duratrax intellipeak charging at full amps without any problems. around 9amps for the GT and another 5-6 for the intellipeak are needed, but the power supply never gets even warm. great deal...i bought it used for 5euros! you can get a new pc power supply for 15$ or less. keep in mind that the wattage of a PSU is not the best consultant. i have seen PSUs with 400W output delivering only 10amps at the 12V output wires. all PSUs have a label on them which notes the maximum amps delivered at each voltage state [-12V,-5V,-3.3V,3.3V,5V,12V]. be sure to check those specs and emphasize the +12V one. that is the one you will be using for RC DC chargers. for full 12V stable voltage capability, 99.9% of PSUs have to have a small load on the 5V output as well. use a bulb or something there [must draw 1amp minimum] and you will get the smooth 12V output. you can also keep a pair of 5V/Ground output leads/wires as well to break in motors or power a lathe or so. to power on the pc ps, you need to attach a switch [or solder permanently] to the power _OK/ Power _ON wire [usually that is purple or green] to the ground [usually any black wire]. if you have a pc mainboard/motherboard manual, open it and find the page with the ATX connector chart [nearly all MB manuals have this chart] to find the power _on wire that has to be connected to the ground for the ps to power on. if you don`t have a manual, go to a mainboard manufacturer`s web page and download one. hope that helps....
Old 02-18-2006, 11:28 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Computer power supply.

Viper - I'm going to be building up a bunch of these some time this week for less than what it would cost you to do it yourself - Shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with one...
Alex