Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New RC for Kid

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:53 AM
chuckles2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RC for Kid

My son is turning 7 this month and he desperately wants a new RC for his birthday. He's been obsessed with RC trucks since he was two (which is odd since I don't own one)...in fact we used to use RC videos as a bribe during potty training (when he used the toilet he would get to watch an RC video on the computer). We've had various toy RC's including a New Brite and an Edgerunner, but they have their issues (don't work great in grass or dirt, and they break). But now he wants a "real" one. He's seen the real ones since I take him to the local track where they race.... So I've been doing some research. Initially I thought one of the "mini" trucks, 1/18 scale, would be a good choice since they are slower and therefore I assumed less likely to break. But I'm concerned that they just won't cut it out in the lawn or at the construction site, or camping..or whatever. They seem like they are being used more for indoors or groomed surfaces. So now I'm leaning towards the new Stampede. The new ESC has the training mode where you can restrict power by 50% (I know all you veterans think it's the stupidest thing in the world, but this dad thinks it might be a great feature).

Is the Stampede the proper choice? Obviously he will struggle to work on it, so I'm going to have to chip in...but durability is absolutely the highest priority. If I get the Stampede RTR are there any "must haves" that I need to get along with it. Batteries? Charger? RPM Bumper? Servo? Gears? If yes...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE include a link. It is impossible right now for me to wade through Tower web site and figure out what would work. Basically I want to start him slowly, but I don't want him to get frustrated that things are breaking, or runtimes are incredibly short, or the batteries take forever to charge, etc....

Thanks for the help. Here's your chance to help hook a future RC supporter .
Old 07-07-2006, 12:04 PM
shodog

Default RE: New RC for Kid

The key is to find out what trucks your Local hobby shop sells as they will stock the commonly broken parts. You will definetly break parts. My son started out with a vintage falcon which at one point looked like this

Now it looks like this after a disagreement with my neighbors brick wall.

So I bought him a used Associated T3 which is super durable and drives like a dream.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Doahh

I seccond the T3
Old 07-07-2006, 12:32 PM
chuckles2000

Thanks for the replies, guys. Does it change anything if I say there isn't a hobby shop within 2 hours drive? Yes, that's right, we have a great track and a fairly active RC club, but no store.

Is the T3 a good basher? Speed is very far down on my list of priorities. Durability and ease of use/fix are tops.

Oh yeah...also, he's not thrilled with the stadium truck body types. He likes the monster trucks and buggies a lot more...
Old 07-07-2006, 12:47 PM
f150dan
My Feedback: (18)

If durability is your main concern, then defiantely get either a Traxxas Stampede or a Traxxas Rustler. Both of them are very tough and just about any hobby shop will carry parts for them. The Stampede will do better in a yard and rougher terrain then the Rustler or any other stadium truck would so I can't think of a better truck for your needs.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Tape21

A T3 might be too hardcore for a 7 year old. My kids are 11 and they still have a bit of a rough time. A Tamiya Hornet or Grasshopper might be a better choice. They go pretty fast and they are fairly durable. Stuff will break but replacement parts are not that expensive.

On the downside, they won't really run in the lawn at all though.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Makuku68

I bought my son an E-Maxx and he bashes it around everywhere. He has not broke nothing yet. Parts for the E-Maxx is everywhere also.

Mike
Old 07-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: chuckles2000

Thanks for the replies, guys. Does it change anything if I say there isn't a hobby shop within 2 hours drive? Yes, that's right, we have a great track and a fairly active RC club, but no store.

Is the T3 a good basher? Speed is very far down on my list of priorities. Durability and ease of use/fix are tops.

Oh yeah...also, he's not thrilled with the stadium truck body types. He likes the monster trucks and buggies a lot more...
I don't have a hobby shop worth a doo-doo anywhere near me, so I order stuff online. Tower Hobbies shipping cost sucks, but I don't have much choice. I think the key is that if you don't get a new truck/buggy (or even if you do), be sure you can find parts online easily.

For example, the vintage RC-10 that I got is easy for parts, since Team Associated supports them you can go to their site and find nearly anything for new and old (15+ years!) cars. Their commerce web interface sucks, but oh well.

Hey - if he likes monster trucks, get him a Lunchbox!
Old 07-07-2006, 01:19 PM
chuckles2000

Again..thanks for the help.

I looked at some of the Taimya stuff, but I just think a fair amount of the running will be done in my yard...which is grass.

The Emaxx is of course exactly what he wants, but it's pretty expensive for a 7 year old. I'm thinking if he really enjoys the RC and shows that he's committed to learning about it, and taking care of his stuff, then he can help save for it as his second truck. Or maybe he'll want to try the racing. But it's too much to start with I think (for us).

A follow up....if I do get the Stampede (and that's what I'm leaning towards still), is there anything else that I really should think hard about getting right at the start. Batteries? CHarger? Commonly broken parts? Links are most appreciated.

Thanks again.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Crazyrcer

The Stampede would be a great choice for him, IMO. It's very durable, and can handle many different types of terrain. If you do decide to buy one you might want to check out the [link=http://monster.traxxas.com/]Traxxas forums[/link].
Old 07-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Rare

A follow up....if I do get the Stampede (and that's what I'm leaning towards still), is there anything else that I really should think hard about getting right at the start. Batteries? CHarger? Commonly broken parts? Links are most appreciated.
5x11 bearings and oversized carriers are a must. Also, the RPM front wide bumber. Batteries and charger huh? whats your budget?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Crazyrcer

Thanks again.
The stock servo can strip out very easily. The stock idler gear can also strip easily (it helps if you don't put the truck in reverse then full forward to wheelie). Traxxas does make an alum. idle gear (look at Misbehavin's upgrade page; link below). If you plan on doing this for the long run the you definitely want to buy a good charger the first time. As for batteries, you might want to get a couple of cheap "sport packs" from Tower Hobbies (or any other hobby shop). I have found [link=http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/main.asp?sid=565277&]Cheap Battery Packs[/link] to be great for good quality packs.

[link=http://www.swami-rc.com/]Swami RC[/link] has a bunch of good videos of the Stampede and Rustler. [link=http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lane/pit-lane.asp]Misbehavin' RC[/link] has some great upgrade suggestions with part #s you'll need. Be sure to check out the Traxxas forums too!
Old 07-07-2006, 01:33 PM
shodog

I would second Emans recomendation for a Lunch box or even a wild willy 2. Both are wheelie machines that he will get a kick out of running. My 10 year old son drives my wild willy more than his T3
Old 07-07-2006, 01:42 PM
mattnin

Maybe consider getting him a rock crawler, like the TLT. It goes slower so he is less apt to break stuff, plus he can have fun climbing rocks in your back yard or park. It will handle your grass with no sweat, heck put up some rocks for him and it will climb them with ease. Not only that, it is fairly cheap and you can modify it easily for 4 wheel steering. The batteries will last a long time with this setup. Here is what I suggest.

Here is the TLT Max Climber kit brand new. $150
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHAS7&P=7

Radio and Receiver brand new in the box on ebay, search for Traxxas TQ3 radio $9.50
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Traxxas-Revo...QQcmdZViewItem

Forward and Reverse Speed Control $37.99
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGZX1&P=ML

Integy 55t Lathe motor $18.49, its a slow motor but has high torque and great for rock crawling.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKUG5&P=ML

Venom 3000mah 6 cell batteries, 19.99
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHUJ9&P=ML

Duratrax Charger that you can hook up to your car when you go camping, no AC outlet needed $34.99
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD548&P=ML

Total is about $272 before taxes if you get all your stuff from tower hobbies, and if you get a cheap TQ3 radio and receiver from ebay.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:46 PM
mattnin

Oh and if you do decide to go that route, that motor I suggested is slow with high torque. If you want something faster, let us know and we can help you mate up a good speed control and motor.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:50 PM
mattnin

Whoa, I didn't realize the stampede is that cheap. Get that for him. It is a fast truck actually and is fairly durable although I remember breaking a-arms back when I had one =)
Old 07-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Eman77

The Radio Shack GP 3300 mAh NiMh 6-cell battery packs for $25 are a great deal too, if your local store has them.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:15 PM
chuckles2000

Thanks for all the help. Couple of more questions.... (of course)..

If I get the new Stampede, will the suggested upgrades (sealed bearings, carriers, bumper, etc.) fit?

Are the RS batteries "plug and play?" No soldering or anything, right?

I'll take a look at the Lunch Box and Wild Willy...haven't heard of those.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:17 PM
×SlappY×

the stampede would be perfect for a kid. alot of people say they dont break alot, and its just a perfect kit for a kid`s first. he can upgrade it as he grows up and stuff.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:03 PM
discgolfer72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Eman77

I don't have a hobby shop worth a doo-doo anywhere near me, so I order stuff online. Tower Hobbies shipping cost sucks, but I don't have much choice. I think the key is that if you don't get a new truck/buggy (or even if you do), be sure you can find parts online easily.

For example, the vintage RC-10 that I got is easy for parts, since Team Associated supports them you can go to their site and find nearly anything for new and old (15+ years!) cars. Their commerce web interface sucks, but oh well.

Hey - if he likes monster trucks, get him a Lunchbox!

i second that
if u want somthing he can drive into a brick wall at 40 and break nothing go for the rc10t they are great training cars(and can be upgraded easily as he learns to drive ) and can be gotten for under 70$ rtr
check out here

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_39...tm.htm#4473953

the traxxas cars are great bashers but the suspension stinks and require quite a bit of upgradeing to handel the really rough stuff
aslo they use a plastic motor mount that makes motor adj hard and aventually impossible
Old 07-07-2006, 05:11 PM
hands without shadows

If you get him a stampede im not sure if you want to get the new one, its alot faster than the old one.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:19 PM
chuckles2000

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

If you get him a stampede im not sure if you want to get the new one, its alot faster than the old one.

That is a concern, but I read that the ESC has a Training Mode where you can restrict the power to 50%. Not the ideal solution, but seems pretty handy to me.

Dang...sure hard to wade through all the options. Too darn many choices. Some say the Stampede is rock solid, others say it isn't. Same with everything....eeesh.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Evader 53

Chuckles, I have been in RC through quite some years so I will tell you my recommendations... I have tested out numerous trucks, buggies, and stadium trucks and have beat the _ _ _ _ out of most of them.

My top choice easily will be the Stampede. I have owned mine for 2 years now, attempted to do some stupid stuff with it and have bashed the living hell out of the truck, but it still runs as good as new today with only a max of $40 worth of broken parts put into the truck, which is EXTREMELY good comsidering I jump the truck 7+ feet high at full speed and land on either pavement or something other than the wheels. It gives me much more enjoyment than my nitro trucks or any other electric truck I own/have ever driven. It takes a beating like no other truck but continues going. The Stampede has recently become one of the top selling trucks for 3 reasons; its ease of use, its durability, and its fun-factor. My brother recently got a xxx-t and it broke taking it off those little x-factor skateboard ramps, nothing compared to what a pede can do. Most of the people on here that say the pede is worth crap and breaks easily have never owned or driven one, just they are haters of traxxas or pede owners and therefore decide to put the truck down and encourage others not to buy it. Pedes are built like a rock and though their design may be old, it still surpasses most other trucks in the fun-factor and durability. Trust me, if you buy the pede, you will not be dissapointed one bit.

My second choice would be the rustler or t3 (but since these models are stadium trucks the options of terrain are greatly limited).

You are now able to pick up barely used pedes with a batt (and sometimes a charger) for around $100 on ee-bay.
Just be patient when bidding and wait for a barely used pede to come up, but be careful not to bid too high and that you are sure there are no broken/missing parts.

--Evader
Old 07-07-2006, 08:00 PM
dracohowe

i say get the old pede. best vehicle i own. and one of the cheapest. im 5'6'' and i jump it over my head all the time though i haven't had many crashes.

old pede old pede old pede[>:]
Old 07-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Mekong

Pede all the way! Dont bother with upgrades cept the RPM bumper, you really dont need carriers and bearings for a kids truck. The part I broke the most was the castor block, running into curbs and just hitting the wheel. Start with 2 radio shack GP3300 batts and a decent charger, I like the MRC 959. Then if he gets into it get a new 19turn and the bearings. Then if he gets all As and is really into and learns to drive a SS5800

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.