Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Motor/Brushes Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 10:13 PM
aer-wubby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor/Brushes Issues

Well, today I decided to take apart my Komodo Dragon Pro. I took out the brushes, and noticed on one of the brushes, a small piece of the side side has broken off (where the brush contacts the comm) and is more black than the brush on the other side. Would it be smart to replace the brushes at this point? Also, the comm has kind of darken, so would it be a good time you cut the comm (only 7 runs on the motor). I don't have the lathe to cut the comm, so I don't have a easy way of getting it cut.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Ca$hmoney

Default RE: Motor/Brushes Issues

Yea I would replace the brushes.I run a KD-19 in my sedan.I use 1 pair of brushes for every race day.Usally 4-5 runs depending on how much I practice.I also skin the comm in between heats.These new 19Ts are very fast, but wear faster then most mods.I would be willing to cut your comm if you pay post here and back.PM me if you want to do that.I cut so many motors it woulndt even be no big deal.LMK

Old 08-11-2006, 10:51 PM
aer-wubby

Hey thanks for the offer bro. I probably would allow you to cut my comm, but 1) shipping fees are a b1tch. Probably the total shipping costs would cost me more than the comm cutting itself =P. I'm gonna go check out my LHS if they have any Lathes in-stock as it would be better if I got used to cutting comms myself.

EDIT:
When I took apart my motor, and looked at the armature I noticed that there was a sticker like thing on it saying 'EPIC' and some numbers. Does this mean I have an Epic Intense armature???
Old 08-11-2006, 11:16 PM
jimroad471

Brushes are not too expensive and install is pretty simple. LHS has a comm cleaner stick that gets all that spooge off. Have you ever cleaned a motor in a pot of water? It works great! If you haven't but want to, post a reply and I'll walk you thru it.
Jim
Old 08-11-2006, 11:50 PM
aer-wubby

ORIGINAL: jimroad471

Brushes are not too expensive and install is pretty simple. LHS has a comm cleaner stick that gets all that spooge off. Have you ever cleaned a motor in a pot of water? It works great! If you haven't but want to, post a reply and I'll walk you thru it.
Jim
Sure, I can give it a try, walk me thru it =).
Old 08-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Ca$hmoney

Yea a lathe would be a good investment for you.You can pick up a decent one with a diomond bit for like 200.

I will tell you this.There is a HUGE diffrence in trueing/turning/cutting and cleaning your comm.

IMHO <----------------------

Cleaning it rather then vutting is BAD.Heres why

Ok first off all.These motors are going in exxes of 30,000RPMs and thats a stocker.Your KMD is probly turing 40,000RPM.Thats like 700 RPM a SECOND.Now when motor runn the brushes are pushing on each side of the comm.Now when the brushes start digging in the brushes are making un even grooves.Its just going to get worse and worse as it gets worse...know what im saying?

Alot of un experianced people think im a retard for cutting inbetween heats.Cheak this out though.

It takes me 1-2 passes MAX and it perfectly true again.When a com is true and the brushes are in good shape, everything goes smooth.It only take a tiny flaw and it will chew the comm up.

So back why it bad to clean rather then cut....

Now when you clean the comm.Your just taking the burn off of it.Thats it.Its still going to be out of wack.Only this time around, the brushes have a nice new clean surface to tear up.You just made it easyer to tear into.

I can get a whole season off one arm and around 25-30 cutss.This is becuase its always perfect and smooth and gentle on everything.

Im kinda having a hard time explaining this.

I see alot of peaople who say "WHy cutt it soo much, your wasting all your comm" those are the peaople who get one cutt out of a arm.A out of true comm will deteriate like stepping stones.

My motors are ALWAYS the fastest on the track.And they only get faster as life goes on.This is becuase as more and more cuts go byt the diamater of the comm gets smaller and therfore the timeing gets avanced.

So I probly sound like a idiot.So main thought here is to keep it true, and new brushes and it will be fast.It will also live longer.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:22 AM
aer-wubby

Thanks for the reply there. I understand completely, Bad Dude. Although for 200 dollars, it would be easier to just get a new armature since I do not race. I simply bash on the streets, and race a neighbors nitro (which mine is faster =D). If I can get a nice deal on a lathe system I'll probably buy it, but 200 seems a lot, especially since the bit itself costs more than half of the lathe system itself.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:03 AM
Ca$hmoney

Well bits are like 80 bucks.....yea.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:22 AM
aer-wubby

I'll just use sand paper for the comm.

JOKE obviously =P.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Ca$hmoney

Yea I was going to call you stupid......[:-]
Old 08-12-2006, 08:27 AM
jimroad471

Most racers have a lathe at the track and will cut your comm for a Pepsi or popcorn. Cutting comm and good brushes results in very good motors. Someguys do this stuff 'cause they wanna win races. It's lots of prep but important none the less.
For water cleaning, get a battery, run wires from plug, do not touch leads, match pos to pos, neg to neg and slowly sink running motor into water. Watch for splashing. Water turns crappy. Do this again until water is clean. Lube bearings and do this every time to change brushes and you'll see a big difference.
JIm