Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

My Brushless MT2-18SS with Mamba Max and A123 cells

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:15 AM
sleepy23
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Brushless MT2-18SS with Mamba Max and A123 cells

not to hijack, but Joe, could you specify the bearing sizes and the little screw sizes in the mamba motors? I want to replace mine but would rather not have to disassmble and measure. also, if i sent you a custom motor shaft, could you guys have the magnets and the rest of the assembly mounted to it?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:05 PM
hemiblas

Sweet truck!!!!!!!!!! Could ya let me know where you got a mod 1 pinion for a 1/8th shaft. I have been working on my own nitro conversion of a 1/8th buggy and cant find one. Thanks a lot
Old 10-05-2006, 07:37 AM
TriPower

ORIGINAL: hemiblas

Sweet truck!!!!!!!!!! Could ya let me know where you got a mod 1 pinion for a 1/8th shaft. I have been working on my own nitro conversion of a 1/8th buggy and cant find one. Thanks a lot
I bought mine here: http://www.rc-monster.com/gears.php

I also bought a $6 adapter from him (Mike at RC Monster) that allows me to mount regular Mod1 5mm pinions on the Mamba motor. It's not on the site, you have to ask him to make one.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:12 AM
hemiblas

Cool thanks. I have been trying to get my 1/8th nitro conversion buggy project running and wanted to use the same combo you have. I have an email in to castle tech support about running their mamba max speed control with a feigao 10l motor because it has a 5mm shaft and I cant get pinions for 1/8th inch shaft that are mod 1 that work with metal spur gears. If I can get the adapter than I can just order the mamba 7700 combo and gear down for the extra weight. My buggy is 8.2 pounds with all the equipment mounted and dont really want to fry anything. These conversions take a lot of research and time, but I think its worth it in the end. Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:38 AM
-Inverted-

You do not want to run a mamba in an 1/8 buggy unless you wantt terrible performance. The mamba is designed for 1/10's only. I reccomend you get a Nemesis Blue and the ESC of your choice for a nice buggy.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Access

Have you tested those 'voltage boosters' under load? You sure it's not dropping the voltage rather than boosting it? It's much easier to make a step-down convertor than a step-up one. Most of the step-up ICs are rather low current, a few amps at best.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Joe Ford

ORIGINAL: -Inverted-

You do not want to run a mamba in an 1/8 buggy unless you wantt terrible performance. The mamba is designed for 1/10's only. I reccomend you get a Nemesis Blue and the ESC of your choice for a nice buggy.

Actually I received a report from a gentleman last week using this in a 1/8 buggy and he was getting great performance. He knows and understand we're not going to warranty it if anything happened, but according to him the motor was only around 160F, esc was lower than that. Hopefully he'll send me some video.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:35 PM
-Inverted-

ORIGINAL: Joe Ford

Actually I received a report from a gentleman last week using this in a 1/8 buggy and he was getting great performance. He knows and understand we're not going to warranty it if anything happened, but according to him the motor was only around 160F, esc was lower than that. Hopefully he'll send me some video.
Hmm, I wonder how great the performance was. I would wait for the monster maxx if I was putting it in a 1/8 buggy. However since Im on the discussion of the monster maxx, I have a question if your allowed to answer. Will it handle 6s?
Old 10-07-2006, 10:24 PM
hemiblas

I cancelled my order for my mamba max at omnimodels and went to local hobby store to buy one. Got the 7700 and mounted it on my XL-5 and at first I ran it with a sanyo 2000mah. It wouldnt even go. Cogging like crazy. After 5 seconds I saw smoke from the esc and turned it off. I then tried a gp3300 and saw a bit of smoke again. I got really worried. turns out the heat sink came mounted really far back and may have made contact with the motor leads. ESC seems to run fine now but it was kinda scary at first. Hopefully nothing was damaged. I did run it with the gp3300 7 cell pack I got a year and a half ago and it ran ok. Slightly better than every other brushless system I have tried. Needless to say I was not understanding the hype. I then decided to put my 6 cell IB4200 pack. I ran it and could not believe the power. It was incedible. I have been running RC for over 15 years now and have never seen anything like this.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:54 PM
RURC

Joe and Invert-

Like I have said I run many controllers that are rated at 99 amps in 1/8 scale buggies and trucks with no issues. I really dont see an issue with the Mamba Max running in the same conditions. I have several Max's coming and will do extensive testing and work on them then. Now will the Monster Max be better? OH YES.

Joe I talked to Patrick about the CM20xx motors designed bu Trinity and he stated that and I quote ' I believe Tekin is buying their motors from the same manufacturer that we are, but I'm not positive about that. We originally designed the CM20xx motor, working from an existing design.' So it seems that Teken and Castle may have the same supplier but neither one owns the design.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:59 PM
-Inverted-

Like I have said I run many controllers that are rated at 99 amps in 1/8 scale buggies and trucks with no issues.
The controller doesn't worry me, the motor does.

Joe I talked to Patrick about the CM20xx motors designed bu Trinity and he stated that and I quote ' I believe Tekin is buying their motors from the same manufacturer that we are, but I'm not positive about that. We originally designed the CM20xx motor, working from an existing design.' So it seems that Teken and Castle may have the same supplier but neither one owns the design.
He told me that Tekin owns the motor.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:47 AM
RURC

On the Mamba Max motor that is a concern tp me also. But I think I said eairlyer to use the controller and a Neu Motor.

On the CM20XX motor That quote was from an IM we were haveing that I saved because of other information. That subject came about in a side line and that was the exact answer, I just cut and pasted it. I did not remember that you were the person that stated the other.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:20 AM
-Inverted-

This is what he told me concerning that subject.

Castle Creations is developing this motor in partnership with the motor manufacturer. Tekin has licensed the motor design for the 1/18th scale.

Patrick del Castillo
Castle Creations
Old 10-08-2006, 12:46 PM
RURC

This is what he told me concerning that subject.

Castle Creations is developing this motor in partnership with the motor manufacturer. Tekin has licensed the motor design for the 1/18th scale.

Patrick del Castillo
Castle Creations
OK here is the OCD coming out. Look at the exact words in that statement. "Creations is developing this motor in partnership with the motor manufacturer." This on its own means to me that they are working with the motor maker on a design.

"Tekin has licensed the motor design for the 1/18th scale." This says that Tekin has liscensed use of this design, Not that they own it. So in this statment your Temin is useing a motor developed by Castle and the manufacturer.

I have to say seeing the exact statement that in breif Tekin uses Castles jointly developed motor.

Now in the statement he gave me the last section is the same as yours where thay are coming from the same manufacturer. But I see nowhere in either statement that Tekin owns anything.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:08 PM
drifter957

where did you get your motor mount
Old 11-22-2006, 07:00 PM
MacDuff
My Feedback: (2)

Pictures arent working..
Old 11-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Elmo6s

Tripower - after running the A123s for a while how do you like them?
Old 12-06-2007, 04:05 PM
traxxas4ever

i am thinking about getting a mamba max. Does anybody know what i need for hop ups to go with the new power of the motor. I have a stock xl-5 rustler.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:25 PM
j.m.

pictures don't work.

Put them as links instead of posting them right in the forums.