Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

newbie need a vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 07:47 PM
cruiser56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie need a vehicle

I would like to get started in RC cars or trucks. I want to run it around my backyard to get used to it. I was wondering if I should start off with electric or nitro. Should I get a buggy or a truck? Should I have 2wd or 4wd. I am looking on spending approx 250 for complete. Also I have looked at traxxas are they recomended? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Newcomer
Old 01-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Fastlane750

Default RE: newbie need a vehicle

Well, you should start off with electric, much quieter than nitro.also 4wd is easier to control than 2wd but 2wd is much simpler and easier to maintain.also check out the choosing your first RC thread, its a sticky in the general discussion forum.

hope this helps!

fastlane
Old 01-14-2007, 08:42 PM
bte214

Traxxas are good for bashing but that is about all you can do with them. The evader would be a good choice as well as the x-cellerator. But if you want to race get a losi or team AE car. Cruiser where in Wisconsin are you?
Old 01-14-2007, 08:49 PM
mmkain

traxxas makes some pretty durable stuff.... depending on what u want. i just started in aug 06 bought a used rustler off eabay for $80 had 2 motors w/ it, got a dynamite prophet plus for $50 & then batteries for another $50 (2 venom 3000 stick packs). its a good durable truck. of course i've gone nuts, so u don't want to no what i've put into it since (not from breaking just from upgrades). also bought a losi buggy xxx, & haven't even started to build or run it yet.... having tooo much fun w/ my rusty.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Bombers_410

Traxxas stampede + decent batteries+ decent charger + tax = just under 250.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Checkpointracer

Traxxas rustler, I am very happy with mine. A evader would not be a bad choice but I have heard bad things about the durability of the evader.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:58 PM
bte214

Sure the evader might not be as strong as a traxxas but few things are. Unfortunately the rustler also suffers because of this. The rustler will not handle as well as the evader which is based off the old losi xx truck. Plus if you break a plastic part on the evader you send it back and get a new one free within the first year. But if you are just bashing a ruslter is not a bad choice.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Checkpointracer

The evader has a 15t motor in it right? If it does that would be a good racer.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:17 AM
paintstikker

Do you want RTR or a kit, though?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:06 AM
bte214

ORIGINAL: p2k2racer

The evader has a 15t motor in it right? If it does that would be a good racer.
The evader pro has the 15 t and a nice 12t esc and all the graphite goodies and hop ups. The regular RTR comes with the 20T Photon Speed.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:04 PM
mmkain

but the evader pro plus charger & batts would be more than he has to invest. w/ the amount u have u might want to concider the sportwerks raven. be advised that it is a race truck (just above the rustler as far as bells & whistles, therefore less durable). my lhs is offering rtr w/ charger for $189. so all thats left is batts. i probably would have bought one if that offer was up when i was getting into it in aug. but like i said before i just love my truck, & if u're into do it u're self...check out these links
http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/rustler.html
http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/
Old 01-16-2007, 04:51 PM
JacksSpleen

I’m a noob too, so any information that is incorrect I hope a more knowledgeable member will correct me.

I was in the same boat and price range as you (wife has the purse strings pulled tight). I was into this hobby about 15 years ago. I had a used grasshopper with some hop ups.

Any way after searching the forums for about 2 weeks I decided on the Stampede. You really have to think about what you want to do with it. I just want to bash around the yard and have no intentions on competitive racing. If I change my mind I will want something different and have to spend more cash. I also wanted something tough my son will learning how to drive on this.

I also looked in the Evader Pro because of all the little extras and pretty much the same price as the stampede. It seems to be more of low budget race buggy or stadium truck depending which version you look at. If I were to race down the road I probably look some Team Losi or Associated gear. But those cant really be had for $250 complete setup (battery, charger,) new. You may be able to find a used one. It seems to me that $250 is the low point for getting into a hobby grade car or truck.

You may see a RTR or Kit for less but you need to add 100$ on for batteries and chargers and other little things and more if its kit like a radio gear and sometimes a motor and esc. I have also learned that you don’t want to skimp on a battery or charger. Get the best you can afford because you wont grow out if as fast, in long run you’ll save money. Here’s what I got

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXNJJ0**&P=0 Stampede

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLD5&P=0 Charger

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLZK6&P=0 Battery

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEV91&P=M Rpm Bumper (for tree bashing)

The total after the $25 discount was 260.

I know I need a least one more battery maybe two (down time for charging). And a bearing set. But this will get me started. Radio Shack apparently has some decent batteries so I will probably pick one or two up this week. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Any way I hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:13 PM
mmkain

Jacks has pretty much hit it on the head as far as whats out there. although alot of people don't like any charger that duratrax makes, except for the Ice (which is a hit buck charger & my next step as far as a charger). but then this hobby is really preference driven. losi vs team associated, etc. look around ebay u can pick up a pretty good deal on used if u stay w/ people that have 98 - 100% good feedback rating, & have made more than 50 sales (not buys but sales) ebay separates that for u.
jacks also brought up a cheap but important piece thats the RPM basher bumper.....u need this item, not only trees, but parked cars, sides of houses, & little cute tykes on trikes.....
Old 01-16-2007, 08:11 PM
mmkain

Jacks also forgot to say unfortunately Radio Shack has discontinued the GP3300, so if u're shack still has them scoop them up, make sure they look exactly like the pic u posted. cause they are advertising them as the same or equal, but the rumors that are flying about are they are no-name cheapies.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:38 AM
JacksSpleen

Really I didn’t realize this about the radio shack batteries; I must have been reading an old post. I should have checked back here because I just bought some tonight. They say GP all over them but there green and orange not bright red like the picture. So they are probably the cheap ones (ewwww). Thanks mmkain for info I haven’t opened them yet so I’ll prolly take them back. So there’s another lesson learned when searching the forums always remember to check the date of the posts.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:29 AM
running_gag

Green and orange should be good. thats what color my GPs are.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:25 PM
JacksSpleen

Cool I will give them a go. The ones I got from radio shack look just like these http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLDP8&P=0 under the wrap. So if there the same 24.99 is a good deal.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:54 PM
mmkain

yeah jacks think u lucked out cause the bad ones are supposed to be just wrapped orange tubes w/ genaric labeling... going to my shack friday to see if they have any left, in stock. hope so my shack is kinda off the beaten path not much traffic so maybe i'll get lucky like u did