Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

The official UNOFFICIAL thread of Tamiya Frog - LB strikes again!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The official UNOFFICIAL thread of Tamiya Frog - LB strikes again!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 02:35 PM
sherwooa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The official UNOFFICIAL thread of Tamiya Frog - LB strikes again!!

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

Sure, that's cool too, but it is discontinued.. it was re-released in 2008 but discontinued again..

Oh well. I think I'm going to pick up a Gravel Hound - I like the bathtub chassis concept, it's got 4WD, and it's really cheap from Tower right now - $119.99 w/$10 off promo code + free shipping. Looks like I've got a second project!!!

Old 12-18-2010, 02:37 PM
sherwooa

ORIGINAL: Willybomb

It's interesting how how and who they're marketing the re-releases too - "Relive your childhood"...
Totally resonates with me too...definitely hit the mark. It is funny, though, to open up the box of stuff from 1984 and see "Made in Japan" on everything. you don't see that anymore.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have fun w/ that.. although that's DF-02 chassis.. not very vintage.. !!

Nothing wrong w/ that!!

ORIGINAL: sherwooa

Oh well. I think I'm going to pick up a Gravel Hound - I like the bathtub chassis concept, it's got 4WD, and it's really cheap from Tower right now - $119.99 w/$10 off promo code + free shipping. Looks like I've got a second project!!!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:49 AM
sherwooa

Yeah, I know it's not vintage, but I figured it would be to give my kids a taste of building and running an RC, and I like the bathtub chassis concept to keep things simpler. The Hot Shot space frame will complicate things down the road if stuff breaks!
Old 12-19-2010, 01:56 PM
res3567

I had one years ago when I was teen...now I got another one on the way....I wanna make it brushless.....HELP ME...PLEASE!!!! Reccomendations? Iknow about the weak tranny...thembones.....but they are upgraded now.....I need suggestions that won't tear up the drive train.....
Old 12-19-2010, 07:16 PM
sherwooa

I know it's been a while, but personally my view was that the gearbox and gears were ok, but the extra play in the rear suspension caused the outdrives to slip out and strip inside the bevel gears. As long as you can keep that from happening (i.e. get some CRP rear suspension supports or some of the CNCmachined aluminum arms I saw somewhere on the net) and use the dog bones (obviously) then the tranny should stay pretty solid. Of course, if you can find a Thorp diff that would be even better...

ORIGINAL: res3567

I had one years ago when I was teen...now I got another one on the way....I wanna make it brushless.....HELP ME...PLEASE!!!! Reccomendations? Iknow about the weak tranny...thembones.....but they are upgraded now.....I need suggestions that won't tear up the drive train.....
Old 12-19-2010, 07:25 PM
res3567

Yes....it is comming back to me now......had the thing in 1985....and I am slowly remebering...the issues I had with the differential....and that for sure was one of them.....thank you for your reply. My goal is simple....to combine old and new....I started with the Super Champ...and quickly realized the Frog was superior...mainly cause it had a differential....my Champ would spin out at times during hard turns cause it had a fixed final drive...and the very thing that led me to get theFrog in the first place,...along with it's awesome looks, turned out to be the car's Achillies heel (hope I spelled it right)......
Old 12-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Willybomb

If I want to "un-slip" the diff, which parts to I need to JB together?
Old 12-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Lunchboxer

Those tiny spider gears.. if they don't spin, you won't have differential action.. !
Old 12-20-2010, 02:57 PM
grumppee

Well... I've built the Hornet, Boomerang, Sand Scorcher, and a CR-01... still no Frog. I did however order a Brat instead.

ORIGINAL: grumppee
Great thread... although for some strange reason I ordered the Hornet, couldn't help myself. Perhaps I'll build a Frog next... Hmmm... [img][/img]
Old 12-21-2010, 01:39 PM
sherwooa

Well, got the Frog up and running last night after receiving a few parts from my eBay splurge. Here's what I did:

- new rear trailing arms
- installed the Tamiya dogbone kit
- new radio battery holder & switch spliced in
- fresh set of wheel bearings
- cleaned the wheels
- new (original) rear spikey tires
- Re-filled the shocks with 35Wt oil
- Bought a 3800MaH NiMh battery
- replaced the bolts in the front suspension and re-stretched the front springs

Then I took her out for a spin. She ran great, just like 26 years ago. The Yokomo stock+ motor still runs well, and I had it jumping a bit too. My dogs enjoyed chasing it around the frozen yard. I had forgotten how much fun this hobby was! Can't wait to try it out on some real dirt.

I am awaiting a set of CRP rear suspension supports to eliminate the slop in the rear end, though it's certainly better than it was w/the new trailing arms.

Gravel Hound kit should be here soon too, so I can get started on that with the kids.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:29 PM
res3567

Ok...mine is here...were can I get the CRP parts?
Old 12-22-2010, 10:17 AM
sherwooa

I may have an extra set (that I accidentally ordered)arriving in a few days. Would be happy to sell you the extra ones if you want 'em. You'd have 'em in a week or so.

So after some more bashing last night, I noticed the outdrives pulling away from the gearbox a bit and giving that dreaded grinding noise. Has anyone tried JB welding the outdrives to the bevel gears?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:29 PM
sherwooa

So after some more bashing last night, I noticed the outdrives pulling away from the gearbox a bit and giving that dreaded grinding noise. Has anyone tried JB welding the outdrives to the bevel gears?

OK, so I spent some time searching this thread, and looked again at my Froggy's tranny tonight, and discovered I indeed had the problem with the metal gearbox plates flexing out too much, resulting in too much side to side play of the diff assmebly, which was causing the grinding. Tried the socket and tap trick, which fully restored the old Froggy gearbox back to full, smooth operation. Great tip, whoever came up with it! The diff assembly was really rocking side to side before, and I had never noticed how much play there was. A few taps on each side of the metal gear covers and the diff assembly was solidly affixed in the gearbox, and the smooth turning returned (I had replaced the bevel gears and the diff gear with new parts the other night).

I also decided to R&R the MSC for an ESC(a TEU-101BK from eBay) and in the process Isomehow managed to damage the brush on the Yokomo motor that was in the car, and couldn't get it to work again, despite trying to solder it. Lucky for me, I had an old Associated RC12i in the box too, with some modified motor (label says "Diamond Power" on it) that some hobby shop guy convinced me to buy 20+ years ago with the Associated kit. Well, suffice it to say, it runs great and now it screams in the Frog after fixing the tranny. The ESCtakes some getting used to for someone used to the MSC, especially not being able to engage reverse as quickly, but I suppose that's a good thing!

The Froggy is fully restored! Can't wait to bash this thing in the snow soon.

(The Pic below is from last night before I ripped out the MSC and swapped the motor. Will get some more action pics soon)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	xv64747.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1537438  
Old 12-25-2010, 12:53 AM
res3567

What is "socket and tap" trick?"I have mine assembled finally, and I am going to put a 12T Traxxas clone motor for now, but I I saw a Castle Creations Sidewinder brushess setupfor a good price. I am also interested in the CRP parts you have........I want this thing to fly....but be reliable. My original Frog went away years ago....and this new "upgraded" one looks like it canhandle exta power.....I want to merge the old with the new......

I may have an extra set (that I accidentally ordered)arriving in a few days. Would be happy to sell you the extra ones if you want 'em. You'd have 'em in a week or so.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:08 AM
res3567

Were can I get front shocks like this? Pic was from a MUCH earlier post......
Old 12-25-2010, 08:57 AM
sherwooa

The socket and tap trick is where you place the metal gearbox sideplates on top of a 1" socket (over the diff exit hole) and then tap the flared section w/a mallet (somewhat lightly) to force it closer to the middle of the gearbox.  This makes the diff assembly tighter in the gearbox and keeps it from sliding side to side, which is what ends up stripping the diff gears and the outdrives.  On a brand new kit, you shouldn't have any play at all, but over time and use, the sides start to bend out a bit.  This trick puts them back to normal and restores smooth operation of the diff assembly and gearbox.

As for the aftermarket front suspension, it is a vintage CRP kit that isn't commonly available anymore.  It looks like this place might have it:
http://www.rcchopshop.com/crp/1601.html
Old 12-25-2010, 11:36 AM
urgeone

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-Frog-Blac...item1c181c8c80

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-26-2010, 07:46 AM
res3567

OK.Thanks guys. Well, I got her together, and did some runs.....and WOW! She is powered by a Traxxas type 12T motor, an XL5 ESC, and a Traxxas 2055 waterproof servo. SHE FLYS! I broke the motor in before I installed it (something I did not do 24 years ago with my original) and now I am having second thoughts about converting her to brushless. I had a scare on my second run...the dreaded GRINDING noise and she was not going anywere. Well, then, one of my back wheels came off. So I took her inside, reinstalled it, and SHE STILL AINT GOING RIGHT! I am like...."YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!" So I took the wheel back off to make sure the pin on the axle was there...and sure enough...it was gone. Looked back in the box....and whudayouknow?...a SPARE ONE! So I put it back on...and she flying again!

Now I need bigger wheels and tires for street use....any suggestions?

My dad has a Rustler and my brother a Hornet, and we can run togetherand have fun...

In this pic....Iam usingthe rear wheels from a Subaru Brat purchased years ago (the wheels and tires, not the Brat) My front tiresare already scuffing as I am testing her out on the street.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21367.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	1538354  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:48 AM
res3567

Old 12-26-2010, 09:00 PM
res3567

Hey ya'll.....
CHECK THIS OUT....GOOD GRIEF...I DONE GOT SUCKED INTO THIS AGAIN.....AND I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Check it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TAMIYA-FROG-MONS...item1c180a5b9c

Old 12-27-2010, 11:21 AM
sherwooa

Hey ya'll.....
CHECK THIS OUT....GOOD GRIEF...I DONE GOT SUCKED INTO THIS AGAIN.....AND I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Check it:

Nice...those look pretty sweet.

As for wheel/tire suggestions, I'm not sure what else fits well, but I think you can get some hex wheel adapters so you can fit any of the modern wheels on the Frog. I use a set of old Tamiya hubbed sponge tires for on-road running, but I doubt they're easily found these days.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:56 PM
res3567

Yea...I saw a lot on Ebay yesterday....including those hex adapters.

Hey ya'll.....

Check it:

Nice...those look pretty sweet.

As for wheel/tire suggestions, I'm not sure what else fits well, but I think you can get some hex wheel adapters so you can fit any of the modern wheels on the Frog. I use a set of old Tamiya hubbed sponge tires for on-road running, but I doubt they're easily found these days.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:23 AM
Krazy Chicken

hey lb do you run lipo in the frog also?
Old 12-31-2010, 11:27 AM
Lunchboxer

Yes.. I use the hardcase 4,000mAh LiPo..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.